Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual routing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC
Unusual routing

Needing a last minute one-way MCI-ORD Saturday. I always check Kayak before booking direct with United in case of very cheap flight on another airline.

The cheapest flight was an all United route at $202 compared to $258 direct MCI-ORD. BUT....

.... the $202 route was MCI-DEN-MCI-ORD.

Why in the world would it route back through your origin and be cheaper?!?!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhunt
Needing a last minute one-way MCI-ORD Saturday. I always check Kayak before booking direct with United in case of very cheap flight on another airline.

The cheapest flight was an all United route at $202 compared to $258 direct MCI-ORD. BUT....

I'll wager that you're looking at MCI-DEN + DEN-ORD with a layover at MCI. It's sort of strange, but airlines don't file all fares from every city to every other city, so you can wind up cobbling together things like the cited.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: One or two :)
If in doubt, always blame the computer!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:47 pm

I wonder if you can buy it like that and later SDC to something more reasonable.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

I ended up booking with 10k miles +$55 direct flight.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:52 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by bhunt

Fare break in DEN. It's probably selling you separate fares MCI-DEN and DEN-ORD. DEN-ORD is going for $42 right now. MCI-ORD is expensive, probably because UA feels they can charge a premium for it.... but presumably MCI-DEN has more competition, so it's only $160. Ergo, you get a cheap MCI-DEN followed by a cheap DEN-ORD that connects in MCI.

Now, what I find even more amazing is that as of 5 minutes ago, ITA Matrix is showing a MCI-DEN-LAX-ORD for only $118. Need a mileage run??? (Apparently MCI-LAX is running $53).
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QBK
Fare break in DEN. It's probably selling you separate fares MCI-DEN and DEN-ORD. DEN-ORD is going for $42 right now. MCI-ORD is expensive, probably because UA feels they can charge a premium for it.... but presumably MCI-DEN has more competition, so it's only $160. Ergo, you get a cheap MCI-DEN followed by a cheap DEN-ORD that connects in MCI.

Now, what I find even more amazing is that as of 5 minutes ago, ITA Matrix is showing a MCI-DEN-LAX-ORD for only $118. Need a mileage run??? (Apparently MCI-LAX is running $53).
You can thank Spirit Airlines for that. If your in there "$9 club you can get direct flight MCI-LAX for $35.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QBK

Well, except that the $26 base one-way BE DEN-ORD G fare requires a nonstop routing. Heck, even the $6000 F fare requires a non-stop routing. Given that, the only way this makes sense is if there were a through DEN-MCI-ORD flight (same flight number). However, I don't see any such flight on the schedule for tomorrow. Color me confused.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, except that the $26 base one-way BE DEN-ORD G fare requires a nonstop routing. Heck, even the $6000 F fare requires a non-stop routing. Given that, the only way this makes sense is if there were a through DEN-MCI-ORD flight (same flight number). However, I don't see any such flight on the schedule for tomorrow. Color me confused.
Agree. Plenty of MCI-DEN-ORD for less than MCI-ORD, but no MCI-DEN-MCI-ORD.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by QBK

wow, add an RPU and this looks pretty good
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
wow, add an RPU and this looks pretty good
Sadly, no it doesn't. The fares discussed in this thread are all Basic Economy fares and can't be RPU'ed. They also can't be used for a mileage run either...
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Sadly, no it doesn't. The fares discussed in this thread are all Basic Economy fares and can't be RPU'ed. They also can't be used for a mileage run either...
how much more is regular?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
how much more is regular?
Hundreds of dollars, depending on the specific routing. For example, on MCI-LAX, the zero-advance purchase fares for travel today include two BE G fares at $30 and $58, a BE L fare at $154... and a regular economy Q fare at $328. (All prices plus taxes + fees).

This is a new BE strategy that UA has started in the last couple of months, where they'll publish BE G fares with no advance purchase requirement to compete head-to-head with ULCCs or as hub attacks against AA and DL. These are not the differential fares that they started using originally -- although they still require the availability in the secondary fare bucket (G, in this case), they have their own advance purchase and minimum stay requirements.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:14 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Does it have a super long layover in DEN? I've seen some cheap fares where you end up getting stuck all day or overnight at an airport.
Still really weird though!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Hundreds of dollars, depending on the specific routing. For example, on MCI-LAX, the zero-advance purchase fares for travel today include two BE G fares at $30 and $58, a BE L fare at $154... and a regular economy Q fare at $328. (All prices plus taxes + fees).

This is a new BE strategy that UA has started in the last couple of months, where they'll publish BE G fares with no advance purchase requirement to compete head-to-head with ULCCs or as hub attacks against AA and DL. These are not the differential fares that they started using originally -- although they still require the availability in the secondary fare bucket (G, in this case), they have their own advance purchase and minimum stay requirements.
Definitely don't understand this new strategy. I can't imagine carrying a few extra pax for tens of dollars is going to make a difference in the bottom line, and the knock-on effect for public perception and elite travelers is going to continue to erode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.