Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Award flights

i used miles to book three tickets to Europe next summer.

our return flight are on Turkish air (United miles) from Venice to Istanbul to Chicago. We booked business class for the three of us and at the time it showed availability and confirmed that we had reservations, but no seat assignments.

I checked our our reservations today and the Venice to instanbul leg is showing wait listed. Should I be concerned about this? Especially since I picked this flight because it showed award availability in business.

Thanks,

-Dan
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dweyant
Should I be concerned about this?
Yes. Call and speak to an agent and ask them to confirm the status of those seats. If they really aren't confirmed then you need to politely press for something to be done, potentially forcing open UA inventory, to ensure that your previously issued ticket remains valid.

This assumes, of course, that the tickets were issued previously and that this is a change in status. If they were never issued in the first place things get a little more confusing, but still something UA needs to fix.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I’ll call in the morning.

if it matters ticket class for both of the Turkish air flights are I, and XN for the outbound flight that is in coach.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I checked our our reservations today and the Venice to instanbul leg is showing wait listed. Should I be concerned about this? Especially since I picked this flight because it showed award availability in business.
Is this the app or the website? The app will show segments as waitlisted when there's been a schedule change.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is this the app or the website? The app will show segments as waitlisted when there's been a schedule change.
It was on the app. I just logged into the web site and there was a (small) schedule change. It looks like that was the issue. Thanks for the help!

When can I book/confirm business class seats on Turkish air, and do I have to call them directly to do it?

Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would still call UA immediately. You can't know that this is the issue and the issue may be irrelevant. If you turn up at VCE without a confirmed ticket and reservation, that is pretty late in the game to deal with the issue.

After UA presumably fixes this, then call TK and confirm that it shows your VCE-IST-ORD segment as ticketed & confirmed.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When can I book/confirm business class seats on Turkish air, and do I have to call them directly to do it?!
Do you mean change from X to I if I becomes available? You would have to call UA to do that. TK cannot.

Also, you should be able to get seat assignments at something like 90 days out (might be 75). You'll have to call TK for that.

Originally Posted by Often1
I would still call UA immediately.
Well that's poor advice.

First, this is a known bug on the app. I've experienced it numerous times; it does not indicate a problem with the reservation. Second, if you're going to call about the TK segment, don't call UA, you cannot rely on anything they say about a TK segment. Call TK and make sure it is ticketed on their end.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
When can I book/confirm business class seats on Turkish air, and do I have to call them directly to do it?
Seats can be chosen on Turkish 100 days prior to the flights. You either can use the Turkish website (extremely buggy, and do not show all seats routinely) or just call Turkish when the 100 days are up.

You can see discussion about seat assignments on the Turkish forum.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
Do you mean change from X to I if I becomes available? You would have to call UA to do that. TK cannot.

Also, you should be able to get seat assignments at something like 90 days out (might be 75). You'll have to call TK for that.

Well that's poor advice.

First, this is a known bug on the app. I've experienced it numerous times; it does not indicate a problem with the reservation. Second, if you're going to call about the TK segment, don't call UA, you cannot rely on anything they say about a TK segment. Call TK and make sure it is ticketed on their end.
If the issue is this known bug on the app, then once you access the reservation using the UA Web site and accept the schedule change, the app no longer shows the itinerary as waitlisted. So there is no reason to call UA or TK if it no longer shows as waitlisted on the app after accepting the schedule change. If it still shows waitlisted on the app after accepting the schedule change, then there is some other issue.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help!

Everything seems to be working now. I'll try to get seats reserved at the 100 day mark!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Someone can correct if I am wrong but with this schedule change, why not convice UA to open up I class inventory for you on a BRU/FRA/MUC-ORD UA operated flight to cut the journey shorter? That is unless you are looking forward to experiencing the TK J product and lounge.

It was on the app. I just logged into the web site and there was a (small) schedule change. It looks like that was the issue. Thanks for the help!

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.