Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q about length which elite status lasts.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Q about length which elite status lasts.

Hi all ~ I'm an absolute newbie here.. (Can't imagine this "mileage run" term does exist since I have been deterred from earning status by thinking of that elite status costs a tons of $$.)

I Will be going to fly a lot next year around Oct/2018 - Feb/ 2019. So I decided to earn an elite by that time. Have couple questions before mileage run:

How long does MP elite status (silver/ gold/ platinum/ 1K) last? The UA/MP website says "Once you qualify for a Premier status, the status is valid from the date when you qualified through the end of the following Program year."
So in case of I reach an elite status in Jun 2017; Would I have my status from Jun 2017 all the way through the end of Dec 2018? Or just Jun 2017 to Jun 2018?

Keep searching for answer but just can't find it throughout the forum. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MichaelLoveEarth; Jun 10, 2017 at 3:01 pm
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelLoveEarth
Hi all ~ I'm an absolute newbie here.. (Can't imagine this "mileage run" term does exist since I have been deterred from earning status by thinking of that elite status costs a tons of $$.)

I Will be going to fly a lot next year around Oct/2018 - Feb/ 2019. So I decided to earn an elite by that time. Have couple questions before mileage run:

How long does MP elite status (silver/ gold/ platinum/ 1K) last? The UA/MP website says "Once you qualify for a Premier status, the status is valid from the date when you qualified through the end of the following Program year."
So in case of I reach an elite status in Jun 2017; Would I have my status from Jun 2017 all the way through the end of Dec 2018? Or just Jun 2017 to Jun 2018?

Thanks in advance!
status earned by flying in the year 2017 is valid from the date you earn it (well...it takes a couple to a few days to hit the system, but you get the drift) through January 31, 2019. So you could have earned it from January flying, and that would be valid for all of 2017 and '18 (and Jan. '19).

just a note about earning status, though, since you specify you are planning on earning from flying both before and after the new year - the status earning period is by calendar year, so premier qualifying miles earned in Oct. - Dec. 18 will qualify you for status through jan. 2020, but on jan. 1 2019, PQM will go back to 0, and then you'll need to re-earn the status during calendar year '19 to qualify for benefits through Jan. '21. So if you want to be an elite, you can't count on the combined miles earned from Oct. '18 - Feb. 19 to make it, you have to have enough from Oct. - Dec. '18, and then from Jan - Feb (or really, Dec.) '19 for the next year.

Different from redeemable miles, which will always be available to you to use, assuming you have activity once every 18 months.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
The MP calendar runs from January until January. If you qualify for elite status in June of 2017, you will have that status until January 31st, 2019.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Wow! I knew I came to the right place!! Never knew these rules before... Thanks a lot guys!
Really appreciate that.. I'm literally taking notes
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelLoveEarth
Wow! I knew I came to the right place!! Never knew these rules before... Thanks a lot guys!
Really appreciate that.. I'm literally taking notes
You should really read up on the rules and get a comprehensive understanding of the program to maximize your benefits. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ster-wiki.html is a good place to start.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't know if they still do this but you can call and request a challenge. Basically your requirements can be lower the first year. Or they give you the status early
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
You should really read up on the rules and get a comprehensive understanding of the program to maximize your benefits. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ster-wiki.html is a good place to start.
Thanks username, will keep reading the posts
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
I don't know if they still do this but you can call and request a challenge. Basically your requirements can be lower the first year. Or they give you the status early
UA (like DL) has a Status Match Challenge. You need to have existing status in another airline in order to sign up for it.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...omoCode=TB8230
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat
I was very confident that any EQMs earned in a calendar was used for your Elite Status for the "Following Year" ending Jan 31st after that program calendar year. However, I called UA MP and asked the question, "if I qualify for Gold in January 2018 and do not fly again in 2018, when is my Premier Gold status good until?" She was quite adamant that it would end January 2019. I fell it should end January 2020. Am I wrong?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You are right. If you qualify for Gold that quickly, it's good for the rest of that year and the year after, plus January.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Billionare
I was very confident that any EQMs earned in a calendar was used for your Elite Status for the "Following Year" ending Jan 31st after that program calendar year. However, I called UA MP and asked the question, "if I qualify for Gold in January 2018 and do not fly again in 2018, when is my Premier Gold status good until?" She was quite adamant that it would end January 2019. I fell it should end January 2020. Am I wrong?
No, if you flew all the requirements starting from zero on Jan 1st.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat
Thanks. The only reason I second guessed myself is their site (United MP Elite Requirements), the agent (on the phone) and further up this thread, all used June as a cut-off reference. And the Challenge offers use June, (which is correct I believe). Thank you again for your affirmation. I will make my runs in January to Asia as planned.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
MP status challenge works different from earning the status in the hard way.

Basically, status challenge is more restrictive. So normal rule does not usually apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.