Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many flying hours pa, to be Premier 1K?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many flying hours pa, to be Premier 1K?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Undoubtedly true, but it is possible to fly 1K level paid J for <$20K if you pick your flights and fares carefully. In fact, you could do it with 10 ps RTs for $11-13K. Or 4 RTs SFO-BUD for just under $12K.
Indeed: I made 150k PQM last year on ~15k PQD, almost all of which was paid F/J TCON.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by timfountain
I'll pass 253k PQM. I guess that is a lot of time in Y.....
ouch. 290k this year, but 95+% in C/F. Makes a huge differnece
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fly RT from ASE (via DEN) to COS 30 times in a calendar year. 4 segments each RT * 30 RT = 120 segments = 1K (fares on this route are high so PQDs won't be an issue). Probably about 120 hours on aircraft, but in roughly 1 hour increments.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I spent 24yrs in US Navy on Submarines, recycled air smells good, also, in case you are wondering - airplane food isn't that bad either.

"Prepare to line-up and blow sans" and "vent inboard".

Love that smell.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 25, 2017 at 1:23 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:43 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by frontierorbital
100K miles, what does that mean? Planes fly about 550 mph, but call it 500 to allow for time on the tarmac and slow approach to landing. Therefore 100K miles takes 100,000/500 hours, 200 h in aircrafts. To be Premier 1K by flying economy, it is therefore necessary to spend over 8 days per year, 24 h a day, confined in a small tube with lots of other people, breathing recycled bacteria and viruses. Then there would be more time waiting in airports. Customers must spend above a minimum too.

It's possible to earn PQMs at an accelerated rate by paying for a business or first class ticket, but if a customer is going to pay for business class they do not really need Premier 1K. Premier 1K has become a stamp for customers who consistently pay to fly business class. Anyone not doing that would have to endure a lot to reach that status.
I realize your exercise was just for poops and snickers, but I think there's a basic flaw in your formula.500 MPH is exaggerated because ground speed, which translates to time and is the end game of your calculation, is usually below 500 MPH. This is especially true when you factor in non-cruise segments of flight. Time sitting on the plane during boarding, delays, etc. is also much more significant than I think you're accounting for (although this is very much a YMMV situation). As an example, I fly between CLE and ORD many times a month. I routinely spend more time in my seat during non-flight phase of this route than a flight phase.

Anyway, my point being is that I think this type of calculation is almost impossible to figure out. I think anything we could come up with would be VERY generalized.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by In The 216
Anyway, my point being is that I think this type of calculation is almost impossible to figure out. I think anything we could come up with would be VERY generalized.
Since we're paid by block hours (plus 15 minutes at the end of each segment), and I keep track of my segments, I think I might be of some use for this. For the last three complete months:

Oct: 64 block hours, across 19 segments, totaling ~24k miles. Average ~405 flying miles/hour (accounting for the 15 minute addition each segment)
Sep: 52 block hours, across 18 segments, totaling ~18K miles. Average ~379 flying miles/hour
Aug: 76 block hours, across 25 segments, totaling ~25K miles. Average ~418 flying miles/hour

This was mostly domestic, with a few international long hauls and transcons tossed in. (I'm very new and I work less hours than that of an average FA, partially due to a lack of seniority, coupled with the types of flights I tend to pick up).

But yeah, I think OP's estimate of 500/hour is a bit high, unless one does solely longhaul and transcons.
In The 216 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.