Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crediting compensation Miles to same account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I was recently on a flight LAX-EWR that was almost three hours late, + plus the IFE wasn't working.

After the flight I received an email from UA saying that I can select a token of their appreciation. I'm currently *G on SK and credit all my miles there. But have recently gotten a mileage plus account to once I hit 220 000 miles on my Chase Sapphire Reserve transfer them all to the Mileage Plus account and redeem for Lufthansa First to Asia.

I have two questions:

1. We were two travelling (me and my gf) can we credit both of our compensation miles to my account. (she doesn't have a Mileage Plus account since she also credits to SK)

2. The T&C are a little confusing on the United website regarding the "bonus miles," they state: 2. "Valid only on flights operated by United, United Express, and not valid on United marketed code share flights operated by other carriers."
Does this mean I cannot use them to redeem on Lufthansa?

Last edited by Long leg; Nov 16, 2017 at 4:14 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
1) I don't believe you can credit them both to the same account, although it may be possible. You can always try.
2) That's a bizarre T&C. If you select a ETC (monetary credit towards flight) then you can't use that credit towards flights involving any code share or other carrier. But the miles are miles and I don't believe United segregates them into UA awards only bucket.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Giving this a bump to see if anyone is any wiser..
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I have no idea about crediting the same account but I'm doubtful. As for 2, if you mean you mean ETCs rather than bonus miles, as drewguy writes, ETCs only work on itineraries that have absolutely no code share flights. So if you have a domestic connection in Germany to UA metal, it won't work. Check the T&C, but I believe you can gift them. That might be worth more than a few miles. But ETCs usually expire in a year, not sure if that's ticket issue date or use date, but check carefully. As for miles, once they're in your account, they're in your account. There aren't subsets of miles only good for certain flights.

And the compensation offer itself might expire soon, so don't delay on taking action.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kannai
IETCs only work on itineraries that have absolutely no code share flights.
While this is true, there are techniques on the board about getting around this rule. Basically, if you book a ticket with all UA flights with the ETC, you should be able to change to any fare that UA can ticket, codeshares or not. It's not what they'd prefer, but it ought to work. Still, miles may be less of a hassle if they allow you to deposit them the way you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.