Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to French Polynesia???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok am I the only one who doesnt get the comments along the lines of "oh great now I can finally go there"?

Like, there are already two widebody nonstop flights to PPT - anyone can go at any time....
On which one will buying a J ticket earn me PQM/Ds and 11x$ RDMs?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hope that the nonstop from SFO does come to fruition for PPT!

For the other islands, with UA's HNL ramp-up, you now have this nice bank of flights arriving HNL in early afternoon from EWR/ORD/IAH/SFO/LAX/DEN (and, once a week, IAD). Many (but not all) of them are already nicely timed for a connection to UA201 to GUM. Perhaps an ETOPS 737NG or two could run HNL-PPT and HNL-PPG-NAN (HNL-PPG would be domestic now wouldn't it?!), etc.? I dare not say "Hub" but UA has enough flights from enough major markets in the mainland US to possibly justify a 737 connection a few days a week to these places, do they not?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

French Blue, a long-haul LCC, is adding SFO-PPT in May 2018. http://www.tahiti-infos.com/French-B...8_a166342.html

It would be borderline crazy to suddenly have two wide-body planes on the route, though certainly possible.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
ok am I the only one who doesnt get the comments along the lines of "oh great now I can finally go there"?

Like, there are already two widebody nonstop flights to PPT - anyone can go at any time....
As someone who pays for J/C out of my own pocket, yes it does matter that I get my miles into MP account. Currently, I have over 150K points with IHG, plus ambassador weekend and annual free stay and still I've pushed going to Bora Bora out because of no Star Alliance carrier flying to PPT from the US. It just feels like a waste to fly TN or AF and obtain miles that are pretty much going to expire out.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
French Blue, a long-haul LCC, is adding SFO-PPT in May 2018. http://www.tahiti-infos.com/French-B...8_a166342.html

It would be borderline crazy to suddenly have two wide-body planes on the route, though certainly possible.
I hope they don't shove people in like AOM did in their DC10's. That was miserable on the 7+ hours from LAX. They will most likely to 10 abreast on the A350. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the A350 narrower than the DC10?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by seat38a
As someone who pays for J/C out of my own pocket, yes it does matter that I get my miles into MP account. Currently, I have over 150K points with IHG, plus ambassador weekend and annual free stay and still I've pushed going to Bora Bora out because of no Star Alliance carrier flying to PPT from the US. It just feels like a waste to fly TN or AF and obtain miles that are pretty much going to expire out.
Thats all good but realize the number of people who won't consider going somewhere because their favorite alliance doesn't fly there is minuscule, likely only a small subset of the small percentage of flyers who use FT. So what I'm saying is there really isn't some undeserved market for FP, it's just about saturated already. Expect that this will be like when UA announced service to AKL from SFO - a big splash at first followed by reduction in service.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Nov 16, 2017 at 4:02 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
No one flies into Boa Bora except Air Tahiti. you will get into PPT but the Island hops are on a separate ticket and those are not cheap.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Expect that this will be like when UA announced service to AKL from SFO - a big splash at first followed by reduction in service.
Exactly, and in that case you also had another airline join in the fun (AA).

Like others said, I am all for going to PPT, and the more choices the better, but I can't see this as a particularly lucrative venture for UA. At best they may make it a once to thrice-per-week thing with a plane full of 1Ks on award tickets..

French Polynesia is AWESOME, although it gets nicer the further away from Tahiti you go!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:51 pm

Similar to why it took me so long to get to KEF. I had to plan it when I was already in Europe and even then GLA-EDI I sucked it up and earned nada but could at least earn miles on 4U KEF-TXL.

- Signed a 1K in Paid J/F
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
No one flies into Boa Bora except Air Tahiti. you will get into PPT but the Island hops are on a separate ticket and those are not cheap.
Yeah I know that. Everyone flies into Faaa Airport (PPT). Hence why I said:
still I've pushed going to Bora Bora out because of no Star Alliance carrier flying to PPT from the US
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Similar to why it took me so long to get to KEF. I had to plan it when I was already in Europe and even then GLA-EDI I sucked it up and earned nada but could at least earn miles on 4U KEF-TXL.

- Signed a 1K in Paid J/F
Still dont get it, you plan your life around where you can earn United miles?
sbm12 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:08 pm

Still dont get it, you plan your life around where you can earn United miles?
Sure bet, how are you on FT and find this surprising?It's leisure travel and there's plenty of places on the list I can go in the meantime. Why not maximize my utility by doing so? Why spend thousands on a flight that will get me nada when I can buy a J ticket and get enough RDMs to redeem BKK-SYD in F?
seat38a likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Sure bet, how are you on FT and find this surprising?It's leisure travel and there's plenty of places on the list I can go in the meantime. Why not maximize my utility by doing so? Why spend thousands on a flight that will get me nada when I can buy a J ticket and get enough RDMs to redeem BKK-SYD in F?
Same here. I just flew Fiji Air and was basically kicking myself. I tried to price it out with Air New Zealand but it wasn't happening. At least I got 5x on my Amex Platinum.

I don't spend a nickel, if I can help it, unless it somehow profits my mileage account. - George Clooney, Up in the Air
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
Same here. I just flew Fiji Air and was basically kicking myself. I tried to price it out with Air New Zealand but it wasn't happening. At least I got 5x on my Amex Platinum.
Yup, same reason why Nadi and Suva are currently not on my radar either. UA used to fly to Fiji from LAX I wonder if Fiji has even a remote possibility of return.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I will be extremely happy if this is true. I have been trying to take my family to Bora Bora for years, but the prices during the times I have wanted to go are ridiculous. When Asia, Europe, and even Hawaii are much cheaper, it is difficult to argue for Bora Bora. However, even if UA keeps the prices high, I can now use miles and not have to fly to New Zealand first!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.