Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to French Polynesia???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Agreed, this would be awesome. Great leisure route, but I hope (if true) they follow the TN timing of leaving mid-afternoon, arriving late-night - instead of the AF timing of leaving late-night, arriving at the crack of dawn.

I was lucky enough to visit there way back in the day, when AF+NW+CO was still a thing, and just recall that flight being an extra-special misery. Sort of the Europe red-eye problem on crack, where until they finished the meal service and turned off the cabin lights, you got maybe 3-4 hours of sleep before they woke you up for breakfast and started clattering around again. Combined with a puddle-jumper flight to Moorea or Bora Bora, and it made the first couple days of vacation a real jet-laggy drag.

Second time, took the TN flight LAX-PPT, got in at bedtime, got a good night's sleep, and had a great day!

But I suspect this is a pipe dream. With 1-or-less frequency per day, they'll want to maximize connecting traffic.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:27 pm

Would be great publicity. Can then cancel quietly after 6 months
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I was studying abroad in Italy my family went to FP and I've never forgiven them for it. Of all the years to not go to Hawaii again! My Mom has expressed the past few years she wants to go back but I've always deflected the efforts since it doesn't workout well for MileagePlus earnings.
nnn likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I would certainly consider this as Bora is on my to do list.
+1
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Darlox
Agreed, this would be awesome. Great leisure route, but I hope (if true) they follow the TN timing of leaving mid-afternoon, arriving late-night - instead of the AF timing of leaving late-night, arriving at the crack of dawn.

I was lucky enough to visit there way back in the day, when AF+NW+CO was still a thing, and just recall that flight being an extra-special misery. Sort of the Europe red-eye problem on crack, where until they finished the meal service and turned off the cabin lights, you got maybe 3-4 hours of sleep before they woke you up for breakfast and started clattering around again. Combined with a puddle-jumper flight to Moorea or Bora Bora, and it made the first couple days of vacation a real jet-laggy drag.

Second time, took the TN flight LAX-PPT, got in at bedtime, got a good night's sleep, and had a great day!

But I suspect this is a pipe dream. With 1-or-less frequency per day, they'll want to maximize connecting traffic.
I think the problem with AF is that the plane is part of the CDG - LAX - PPT rotation vs TN with most of their flights rotating on between LAX - PPT. Back in the 90's, when AOM, AF and Corsair all seemed to have their flights optimized more for LAX - Paris than PPT.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nnn
This would be great. ^
Meh, yeah United will want to make money on this route, don't expect prices to drop. To me FP is delightful with the level of tourism it has now. Hopefully it never goes the way of Maui by building huge megaresorts etc. So prices will remain high and out of reach of most Americans, apart from us frequent fliers, those who can afford $10K on a weeks vacation and those willing to rough it in local hotels. I can't really see this working with more than 1 flight a week similar to Hawaiian.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Meh, yeah United will want to make money on this route, don't expect prices to drop. To me FP is delightful with the level of tourism it has now. Hopefully it never goes the way of Maui by building huge megaresorts etc. So prices will remain high and out of reach of most Americans, apart from us frequent fliers, those who can afford $10K on a weeks vacation and those willing to rough it in local hotels. I can't really see this working with more than 1 flight a week similar to Hawaiian.
From what I have read, due to the convoluted land ownership laws in FP, you won't see mega resorts like the ones in Maui. I can't find the article anymore but many hotels that used to operate in Tahiti such as the Hyatt, Club Med and the hotel my family stayed at in Moorea now sit abandoned and rotting away because of the landownership law.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Very excited for this route if indeed it happens. We get a bit spoiled in SF not having to connect on most routes, but FP is one of the exceptions. Can't stand the LAX connect and would love a way to avoid it.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
From what I have read, due to the convoluted land ownership laws in FP, you won't see mega resorts like the ones in Maui. I can't find the article anymore but many hotels that used to operate in Tahiti such as the Hyatt, Club Med and the hotel my family stayed at in Moorea now sit abandoned and rotting away because of the landownership law.
Not my area of expertise, and my French is abysmal, but I do recall chatting with people in the pension we stayed at on Moorea about this. At least ~6 years ago, it was a hot-button issue between the locals who want the tourism economy to grow, and those that want the islands to remain quieter. There's apparently all kinds of regulations in place impacting everything from power usage, to water/sewage handling, to transportation to & from the airport and port, that any new major development has to clear -- that increase the costs exponentially. (Above the already-huge baseline cost of just getting raw construction materials and equipment there, in the first place.) There was some project underway back then to try and pump cold seawater from deep off the coasts in to use for air conditioning, and other efforts to harness or generate offshore power. Basically, if a mega-resort couldn't be effectively self-sustaining, it was my understanding that it's almost impossible to get one built. Existing properties can continue operating, but apparently even if a major hotel/resort changes hands, some of the criteria had to be met, so there's not a lot of buyers willing to take that on.

Zero idea if that's still true, or if the situation has gotten better/worse (depending on your perspective!)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Right now everyone is hampered with just 2 non-stops from LAX and SFO (mostly unaffordable), or route through HNL or ACK or Australia.
Yes, and flying via Nantucket can get quite annoying!
(Sorry, couldn't resist; I knew you meant AKL...)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
<cue armchair ceo mode>
For the past few weeks, I've been wondering if UA could take 4 2-class 763s and start once weekly services on:
SFO-PPT
SFO-RAR (complimenting NZ's once weekly LAX-RAR service)
SFO-PPG
SFO-NAN
The aircraft should have the range for it (they're all less than SFO-CDG, which UA ran with a 763 for a while), containerized cargo, and good product upfront but not overwhelmingly premium heavy. Have two leave Friday afternoon, two leave Saturday afternoon, aircraft and crew sit for 16-18 hours, then return back slightly offset from the heavy international banks, but still able to pick up connecting traffic (plus I think makes it possible to pick up some traffic from people completing RTW trips - it seemed like RAR-LAX got some of those folks when I took it earlier this year). I don't know if the joint venture with Air New Zealand covers these islands, but if so, that makes ground handling, cargo relationships, and sales/marketing on the island side much easier.
Or they could island hop and then have a Micronesian Island Hopper and add this possible Polynesian Island Hopper service. Would be unique to United.

Regardless, if they start some level of SFO-PPT service would be great for United.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I would love for this to come about! I could see UA using a 788 on the route
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
ok am I the only one who doesnt get the comments along the lines of "oh great now I can finally go there"?

Like, there are already two widebody nonstop flights to PPT - anyone can go at any time....
EWRMAN likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok am I the only one who doesnt get the comments along the lines of "oh great now I can finally go there"?

Like, there are already two widebody nonstop flights to PPT - anyone can go at any time....

Wait... UA has 2 widebody nonstop flights from the US to PPT ?!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu

I think it's more along the lines of: If you're a UA/*A flyer, there's currently no way to get there using any kind of benefits, and French Polynesia is insanely expensive for most people to "just go" and pay out of pocket.

Having been (for cash), I have to say that I'd go back in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure I'd pay full-bore to go again. There's lots of other places on Earth (and beyond) that I can't go on points, and I'd rather use my hard-earned cash to go somewhere new instead.

But a "cheap", opportunistic points-acquired seat to PPT for a quick vacation sometime? Heck yes - in a heartbeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.