Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Reports on how UA is handling 'Enhanced Security' for flights to US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Reports on how UA is handling 'Enhanced Security' for flights to US?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: United, Southwest
I can't believe I got the dreaded SSSS on my AMS - ORD boarding pass on December 23rd on flight #908 . They took EVERY LITTLE THING out of my carry on, which included lots of gifts, chocolate, cheese. You know how when you are going HOME you don't pack as neatly? Everything swabbed with the little piece of card board. I was frisked twice. Took maybe 20 minutes? There was also a lady with a bum leg in a wheelchair, a female college student heading home for Xmas, and a woman with a child. One man, maybe in his 30's. At least two of us were in Seat "F" . . if that makes any difference? I totally understand it's random BUT you'd think they would be better off scanning people who at least were able to walk? Does anyone know what the swab will show up? I was afraid to ask. Afterwards, the 'agent' asked if she could help me put my stuff back in. I think she had someone else to scan. But I said no thanks. And I took my time . . . . . Also got an 'X' on our customs form (did the machine) at ORD that took another 20 minutes before we got our bags. JUST NOT MY DAY!

Crew was great though, in business class. One of the FAs chatted with me and DID admit that Polaris was hyped before it was ready. Food was quicker. Tasted OK. I did get a survey afterwards and did mention how long it's taking to get the ice cream out of a paper cup and into something more solid. Didn't see any slippers or memory foam pillows but I didn't ask for one either. Everyone got the 747 tin although they were in 2 different shades of blue. A navy and a 'blue' blue.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Does anyone know what the swab will show up?

Explosives
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sorry to hear - SSSS can be really awful

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Does anyone know what the swab will show up? I was afraid to ask. Afterwards, the 'agent' asked if she could help me put my stuff back in.
The swab will detect explosive residue; it can trigger if the object swabbed has come into contact with various chemicals used in the manufacture of explosive substances including e.g. rocket fuel.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just got it on my NAS-EWR flight on the was to ORD. It actually worked out like an express lane in NAS since the Bahamian security line before US Immigration was long.
My GF had to go through the regular line and I waited 10 minutes or so for her to get through.

She was selected on our AMS-ORD flight in September. Extra screening at the gate. You know you probably got it when you don't get an electronic boarding pass in the App.

I also got extra carry on screening ORD-IAD-NAS with the same carryon & contents I always travel with..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.