Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Reports on how UA is handling 'Enhanced Security' for flights to US?

Old Oct 31, 17, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver

Hope it's ok to post in here, as I'm looking to hear how UA seems to be handling the enhanced security procedures for international flights to the US. As I'm sure many in here know, DHS has required this increased security for all international flights to the US.

Reports indicate it may take longer to get checked in, with potential interviews at check in, gate checks, etc. Can anyone comment on these...is it going back to the old....did you pack your bags yourself kind of questions, or is there more. Are check in lines actually longer? Security? Are more people finiding themselves getting SSSS?

I'll be flying two roundtrips to Canada this month (YYZ and YVR), and would like to know what to expect (especially since one flight departs really early). Anyone have experience flying from Canada since late last week? In a little more airine-generic procedures - anyone know if this would also have an effect on CBP pre-clearance procedures - either in regular lines or GE (which I do have). Specifically concerned if it involves significantly more security theater at checkpoints...CATSA was already ridiculous with this prior to the new rules, and wondering if its worse now.

Appreciate any insight.
Old Oct 31, 17, 11:20 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I flew SIN to SFO on 1 Oct. This is a route that I often take, but this was the first time I was 'interviewed' by a private security agent. There were three of them standing a little podiums before you presented yourself and your bags at the check in. The questions only took a minute or so. It was basically the same as I often encounter departing AMS for the US. Then at the gate, where security screening takes place at SIN, there were more officers and more time taken to look at carry on and so forth.
But overall: typical Singaporean efficiency meant that there was really no additional burden or time requirement on the traveler.
emcampbe likes this.
Old Oct 31, 17, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1k
Can recount two recent internation flights.

Brussels. Required to present yourself with passport and boarding card to a pre designated check in desk which opened a couple of hours before boarding, or for late arrivals at an area to the side of the gate.

Questions included those usually asked by CBP at entry immigration regarding travel plans, where are you staying etc. It appeared that all boarding passes were then reissued and a security sticker applied to it rather than the passport.

I was unaware of this added procedure, and went to the gate at the usual time for a group 1 boarding. By the time I had been seen, group 5 was boarding.

Most recent flight was through Frankfurt four weeks ago and the only additional check was on the gangway, where passports were checked, a few questions asked and random searches of bags took place. However, I have seen reports of increased security checks there now as the Germans fall into line with US requirements to avoid bans on electronic devices in aircraft cabins.
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
PVG: Two lines, one for no status/economy, one for Premier Access and premium cabins. Two interviewers per line. The usual five or six questions ("Who packed your bags?" "Have they been in your possession since you packed them?" "Has anyone asked you to carry anything on-board for you?" etc.) Then they place a small sticker on the back cover of your passport.

This is exactly the same process as BKK used when UA flew out of there some years ago, and you were rewarded with a UA Tulip sticker for your shirt

After that, you proceed to your appropriate check-in line (Gold/Plat, 1K/Polaris, GS, etc.).
chipmaster likes this.
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I flew SAL-IAH recently. The UA-contracted gate security was far more thorough than the last time I experienced. They went through everything.

On the plus side, the person who was checking my bag put my suit back in the bag with great care.
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM, AA (EXP), SPG Platinum, Priority Club, Ambassador Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tvhead View Post
I flew SIN to SFO on 1 Oct. This is a route that I often take, but this was the first time I was 'interviewed' by a private security agent. There were three of them standing a little podiums before you presented yourself and your bags at the check in. The questions only took a minute or so. It was basically the same as I often encounter departing AMS for the US. Then at the gate, where security screening takes place at SIN, there were more officers and more time taken to look at carry on and so forth.
But overall: typical Singaporean efficiency meant that there was really no additional burden or time requirement on the traveler.
As a past resident of Singapore and now frequent visitor this process of 2 or 3 private security agents has been in place since at least 2005. Every time you check in at UA you get basic questions. Unless the questions have changed this is not something new.
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bennettb View Post
this process of 2 or 3 private security agents has been in place since at least 2005. Every time you check in at UA you get basic questions. Unless the questions have changed this is not something new.
I definitely did not get that when I flew out of SIN on UA earlier this year.
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the quick input. Just curious - has anyone tried to OLCI inbound to the US since this started, and does that work. Seems like if they are doing the interviews at Checkin (and sounds like for everyone), perhaps they don't allow OLCI and proceed straight to security/gate with printed out/mobile BPs anymore?
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:00 pm

Programs: All the programs!
HKG: Interview questions at the front of the check-in desk lines. Sticker applied to passport after passing.
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Thanks for the quick input. Just curious - has anyone tried to OLCI inbound to the US since this started, and does that work. Seems like if they are doing the interviews at Checkin (and sounds like for everyone), perhaps they don't allow OLCI and proceed straight to security/gate with printed out/mobile BPs anymore?
This is my concern, since at times I prefer to get to the airport early, and head to the lounge to do some work. I'm cautiously optimistic you can still get an OCLI boarding pass and they'll have someone at the gate to do these 'checks'
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
At HKG last week, myself and another unrelated GS both got SSSS, which included a full bag inspection and swabbing, plus swabbing of hands, pockets, shoes (had to remove them). Only irritation was no Precheck when connecting at SFO.
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
i checked in on-line at PVG on Sunday the 29th and there was no difference
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:07 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
has anyone tried to OLCI inbound to the US since this started, and does that work.
I tried, and got a message that I was checked in but needed to get a BP at the airport. I got one from a kiosk a couple hours later. FWIW, I got the SSSS as did about 10% of the flight.
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I definitely did not get that when I flew out of SIN on UA earlier this year.
Ya same here. Only change since 10/24 in Shanghai was the two added screeners asking typical CPB questions.
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
It sounds as if nothing has changed. Off and on since the 1990's. They have been asking these questions forever. I've seen the same questions and variants of in so many places and times it's difficult to keep track of them. If you want to see additional screening try TLV and make a change to you departure plans! Once (when I knew I had time I answered No. It was a couple of questions later before the agent realized that I didn't give the expected answer and returned and asked again. They are mostly just going through the motions. Until they aren't!

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Oct 31, 17 at 2:30 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: