Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crossing the line? Rights of UA passenger when animals are on the flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossing the line? Rights of UA passenger when animals are on the flight.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by halls120
I agree that this is a difficult issue - one that has put the airlines in a no-win situation. What I don’t understand is why on United the default in the situation where there are two passengers with competing disabilities, it is the passenger who is allergic who has to deplane and make alternative arrangements.

Could someone explain this?
Bolding mine. Not to take exception with just your post, but seen this in many others. We throw the word "disability" around too liberally. While I empathize with allergy sufferers (as I am one too), we are not a "protected class" when discussing disabilities.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I agree that this is a difficult issue - one that has put the airlines in a no-win situation. What I don’t understand is why on United the default in the situation where there are two passengers with competing disabilities, it is the passenger who is allergic who has to deplane and make alternative arrangements.

Could someone explain this?
Because that is how the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) is written.

Changes would have to come from action by the Department of Transportation and/or Congress.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Bolding mine. Not to take exception with just your post, but seen this in many others. We throw the word "disability" around too liberally. While I empathize with allergy sufferers (as I am one too), we are not a "protected class" when discussing disabilities.
No, in many cases we are people who have been medically determined to have a condition that results in demonstrable medical consequences when exposed to a given stimulus we are allergic to. I personally don't have to worry, because I'm never going to encounter the substance that I am allergic to in an airplane.

I just find it fascinating that Congress and DOT have apparently prioritized the mental health of one group of persons over the physical health of others.

And I feel bad for the airlines that are stuck in the middle of the debate.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just find it fascinating that Congress and DOT have apparently prioritized the mental health of one group of persons over the physical health of others.
I don't believe they are prioritizing anyone over another, but rather have failed to address potential conflicts between two people with different disabilities requiring different accommodation that results from one person's accommodation affecting the other.

Frankly, I'm not even sure it's possible to address this fairly because starting to 'rank' the seriousness of one person's ailment vs another opens a much larger can of worms with far broader implications.

The easy fix is just shuffle seats around or offer a financial incentive for one party to travel on another flight.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Frankly, I'm not even sure it's possible to address this fairly because starting to 'rank' the seriousness of one person's ailment vs another opens a much larger can of worms with far broader implications.
Sure it is. You just say that one person's accommodation should not impact others. Kind of like negative rights vs positive rights.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Sure it is. You just say that one person's accommodation should not impact others. Kind of like negative rights vs positive rights.
Great - so the passenger with a ES or service pet should not be impacted by the passenger with an allergy?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Well first UA would need a system to identify folks with allergies - currently they have no system. It is up to the allergy sufferer to talk to the Gate Agent.

UA does have a system to identify people who will be traveling with pets as it is one of the items when you are looking to book a flight.

I am not certain about the UA system for Service Animals.

Hopefully the rules that some states are implementing for ESAs may address some of these issues.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Nov 1, 2017 at 11:20 am Reason: As for all my edits it is for grammar/spelling
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:41 am

Great - so the passenger with a ES or service pet should not be impacted by the passenger with an allergy?
If a UA passenger with an allergy wants to ensure that they are not booked on a flight where pets will be carried in the cabin, UA should provide a process whereby an allergy sufferer - upon booking - can indicate their condition and have their PNR noted as such. At the same time, a UA passenger who wants to bring an animal in the cabin ought to be required to provide that information to UA at booking as well. At that point, it shouldn't be too difficult for UA to resolve the matter ahead of time.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
No, you're starting at the wrong point. The ESA is the accommodation and should not be impacting other pax.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Sykes
Wait ... are you saying that you take it upon yourself to harass everyone with a service animal you encounter? In my opinion, another passenger on a plane or another patron in a dining establishment has no right to question another person's disability. If you have concerns, you should report it to the appropriate authority figures and let them handle it. It's likely the passenger has already been questioned about it multiple times, and it is entirely inappropriate for you to pile on.

I don't travel with animals (of any sort, service or not). But if I did and you questioned me about it, you can rest assured that you'd be called all kinds of names, even if I had a legitimate reason to have a service animal.
It is not harassment to ask someone a question. They can refuse to answer. I agree that the preferable course would be to request action from an FA but given the history of intransigence/indifference I think it make sense to undertake the initial inquiry. FYI the law does not make it illegal for another customer to ask about the disability. But even so the question I suggested relates to the nature of the service provided by the faux service animal - which as the government has noted is entirely permissible.

Given the plethora of phone video I would welcome your response as I am sure it would be quickly posted to social media. Sunlight is the best disinfectant and people who utilize faux "service animals" will get the reception they deserve in the court of public opinion.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by surram
Isn't this the reason why United has climate controlled pressurized Petsafe program?

From the FAQ:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...imals/faq.aspx

The PetSafe program has the following features:

Pets travel within United's specially designed plane compartments that are pressurized in the same way as passenger cabins.
I've used this before on my own pets. It's good but its just expensive compared to the cost of getting the animal to ride in the cabin.

In particular, it depends on the weight of the animal.

I believe my small cat was the cheapest possible rate and that was $200 each way. My larger dog was above $350. I was relocating (from east coast to west coast) so I didn't mind paying the cost as a one-of but paying that rate both ways more than once would be quite expensive.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
I've used this before on my own pets. It's good but its just expensive compared to the cost of getting the animal to ride in the cabin.

In particular, it depends on the weight of the animal.

I believe my small cat was the cheapest possible rate and that was $200 each way. My larger dog was above $350. I was relocating (from east coast to west coast) so I didn't mind paying the cost as a one-of but paying that rate both ways more than once would be quite expensive.
So perhaps part of the issue is the fee for animals in the cabin. It should be the same, or more than Pet Safe.

UA would also need to start verifying the ESA paperwork.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So perhaps part of the issue is the fee for animals in the cabin. It should be the same, or more than Pet Safe.

THIS IS the issue. If air carriers charged passengers to take their animals into the cabin, regardless of emotional need, there would be a lot less foolery
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
They do. Not only the paperwork, but they contact the mental health care professional who provided the documentation.

From https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e_animals.aspx
Customers traveling with an emotional support or psychiatric assist animal must provide a minimum 48-hour advance notification to the United Accessibility Desk by 1) calling 1-800-228-2744 from within the United States or Canada, or from elsewhere calling the United Customer Contact Center and asking to be connected to the Accessibility Desk and 2) submitting the required documentation by fax (1-872-825-0208) or email ([email protected]). The Accessibility Desk must receive and validate the required documentation prior to the time of travel. Verification of documentation will include United contacting your mental health care professional. If we are unable to validate the documentation or if the advance notification is not given, customers will be required to transport the animal as a pet, and pet fees will apply.
Originally Posted by mmack
If air carriers charged passengers to take their animals into the cabin, regardless of emotional need, there would be a lot less foolery
Charging for the accommodations required by the ACAA, including the carriage of ESAs, is prohibited by the ACAA. For this to happen, the DOT and/or Congress would have to enact a change in the ACAA allowing such charges.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I had a similar experience. I was in Y bulkhead window and the dog was better behaved than you describe. But the dog was large. The dog was in the middle seat. The head went under the bulkhead, the passenger basically straddled the dog's body and the tail went under the seat and I guess rested on the bag of whoever was behind.

Yet the FA still asked the person next to her to push her bag further under the bulkhead. To me, the dog is now blocking my egress.

When accommodation of a disability (real or fake) trumps safety, I think we have a big problem. Like you say, where do we draw the line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.