Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mount Agung (Bali) apparently likely to erupt but no UA travel waiver to DPS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mount Agung (Bali) apparently likely to erupt but no UA travel waiver to DPS?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's what living upside down will do to your cognition.

BTW the daily express is a red-top paper and is about as news-worthy as The Sun etc.. I wouldn't use it to support an argument or as a reference in general.

Originally Posted by Lani1
was in Bali 2 weeks a go - that volcano has been possibly erupting for over a month now
I have no more an idea than any other lay person whether this volcano will blow or not or the extent of the damage if it does blow. However with the warning at it's highest level; I suspect the chances are high that it will blow. Krakatoa apparently rumbled for 3 months before it finally blew. No idea how the CC companies are handling cancellations (regarding reimbursement). I was calling UA on behalf of someone else.

BTW there wasn't a waiver for krakatoa either

Last edited by ermintrude; Oct 24, 2017 at 12:11 pm Reason: mis-spelling & grammar
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:39 am

Are any airlines that actually fly to DPS offering waivers?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ermintrude
According to a UA agent I just spoke with before originally posting if it's on 016 ticket stock there should be a notification/waiver if appropriate regardless of the carrier. They even looked up the situation and couldn't understand why UA hadn't issued a waiver.
Yeah - and you believe a reservation agent to tell you how waiver policies work?

Predicting timing of eruptions is is pretty hard. Geologically, an “imminent” eruption might get be this afternoon or a hundred years from now. Obviously, if it erupts, affected flights will cancel.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah - and you believe a reservation agent to tell you how waiver policies work?
It was a 1K agent and IME 1K agents are currently pretty good; GS agents tend to be much better but for most other agents I would take practically everything with a pinch of salt. Sometimes things get past my bull .... radar so perhaps that's the case here?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think that's irrelevant if you can buy a ticket there on 016 ticket stock which you can.
Waivers are by operating carrier, there's literally no point for UA to issue a waiver. If whatever carrier you're actually flying issues a waiver you're free to change flights within the terms of their waiver.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Not sure that logic holds.

The currently active weather waiver United has in place includes JFK, which has no United flights.
I'd assume this is just stale/canned info from systems UA never updates. Same airline that still uses the Kai Tak location for HKG mileage.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
OCTOBER 24, 2017

Seismic activity at Mount Agung declines but alert level remains high

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...0c04589e995045

This post includes a quote from the Australian government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and a tweet from Jetstar Airways
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I just got back from Bali. The officials are urging tourists to come back. The tourist areas are under minuscule danger from the volcano. The most likely worst case scenario is that the volcano erupts and the ash in the air near the volcano causes the airport to close. The government in Bali has made plans to use ferries to take tourists to other airports (Lombok and Surabaya IIRC) in the event the airport closes. I talked to a guy from the resort I was going to who said that when the volcano on Lombok erupted the airport was closed for a matter of hours.

I am scheduled to return in a month. I truly think that the worst that can happen for tourists (unless you're one of the crazies that decided to hike up to the crater to take selfies--yes that happened while I was there) is that you might be delayed for a couple of days in either direction. In that case, the airline will in all probability get you there in a few days.

The farmers and others who have been evacuated from the 12 km exclusion zone are the ones suffering.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by manneca
The officials are urging tourists to come back.
Probably just like the mayor of Amity in Jaws - no technical knowledge just wanting the economy to thrive.

Anyway I don't know the full details but apparently the pax got their money refunded today (inc from UA) for both flights and accommodation.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It was a 1K agent and IME 1K agents are currently pretty good; GS agents tend to be much better but for most other agents I would take practically everything with a pinch of salt. Sometimes things get past my bull .... radar so perhaps that's the case here?
Yes, they are good at reservations stuff. That doesn’t necessarily mean they are good at everything else - like commenting on waiver policies / decision making processes of other carriers.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:55 am

FYI
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/26/asia/m...sia/index.html
also:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ers.aspx#ExPol
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Hasn't it been doing this for the past 6 months? And when they say flights cancelled, I recall reading it was somewhat like 15% of all flights into DPS. With that logic, we should be having travel waivers to a LOT of airports all the time
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Hasn't it been doing this for the past 6 months? And when they say flights cancelled, I recall reading it was somewhat like 15% of all flights into DPS. With that logic, we should be having travel waivers to a LOT of airports all the time
The current activity and ash cloud situation is far more significant than in recent months. At least one airline is shutting down DPS ops right now as the ash cloud arrives. Local authorities declared it code red today in terms of aviation alerts.

It is a tough call for UA as it is up to partners in terms of accommodation and making operational decisions. That is compounded by the fact that most UA bookings (of which there are likely very few) will be award seats. And significant uncertainty about when operations will be reliable.

But it is definitely more significant than the occasional thunderstorm over Paris or such.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
CX, GA and local carriers cancelled 45 flights Saturday, 25 Sunday. Local authorities expect the eruptions to last for another month.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Indonesia volcano: Mount Agung eruption closes Bali's main airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.