Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Match? Delta to Offer Free In-Flight Text Messaging

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Match? Delta to Offer Free In-Flight Text Messaging

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:01 am

IMO, in time to come UA may have to introduce complimentary in-flight messaging as well in order to compete with one of its strongest competitors. It may not be in the very near future, but I feel that time is not very far away
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:26 am

Was on EWR-SJC Friday and was getting app alerts on the whole trip as well as imessage without paying for the WiFi. A little surprising because I couldn't actually get on and pay for the wifi.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
imessage and hangouts working is not a perk. it's a glitch in the network protocol blockers.

the more you pull at that thread, the higher the chance UAL will fix the glitch.

pray they do not fix the glitch.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:03 am

I hope not. One of my favorite things about flying is getting away from and feeling disconnected from the rest of the world for a few hours.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
I hope not. One of my favorite things about flying is getting away from and feeling disconnected from the rest of the world for a few hours.
Judging by how inconsistent inflight wifi is, I'm sure you'll be able to get away with "the wifi wasn't working" excuse.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA
Before UA did the blanket unitedwifi.com landing page the sUA 752s on P.S. had the regular Gogo inflight which offered T-Mobile customers free texts over wifi if their phones had wifi calling.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Originally Posted by EWR764
If using iMessage, UA already does on its 737s and some 753s... 😉
This only seems to work at descent. I've never had it work in the middle of a flight, unless I'm doing something wrong?
Bolding mine" I discovered this completely by accident PBI-EWR (737)* this past May with my iPhone in airplane mode, wifi on and sound off. I was charging my phone with it sitting on my thigh and while dozing in and out of sleep, my phone vibrated with an iMessage from goalie-mom telling me they might be a few minutes late picking me up after my connecting flight EWR-SFO. goalie-mom and I "chatted" throughout the flight and I also had a "conversation" with another f/t'er as well**

*goalie-mom's first message came thru shortly after we reached 10,000 feet when wifi was turned on and the conversations I had continued thru cruising altitude until we reached 10,000 feet on descent when wifi was turned off

**complete with the fat fingered messages being sent to goalie-mom instead of a f/t'er and vice versa
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
WIFI has actually always been free for me. Everytime I pay for it, it stops working half way though the flight if at all. So I either get a refund or it won't let me request a refund and customer service gives me $100 ECT or something.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I for one love telling people they cannot contact me when I am flying as this allows me to catch up on my reading/thinking, etc. However I have noticed more "dinging" going on around me in the cabin in flight. As someone with ADHD the plane was the place I could focus as I can drown out background noise but the dinging/pinging breaks my attempt at concentration.

Please, if you are going to take advantage of this please put your phone on silent. Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
It isn't about whether UA will "match" - AA/DL both use Gogo who provide the service. UA does not except for RJs and some 757s. And unless UA's LiveTV or Panasonic system supports it, the answer is likely no.
It is a payment issue, not a technical one.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sdix
Was on EWR-SJC Friday and was getting app alerts on the whole trip as well as imessage without paying for the WiFi. A little surprising because I couldn't actually get on and pay for the wifi.
+1. Have gotten push alerts and imessage on some domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.