Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Live from ORD-LAX.

1K in 8D (Economy Plus aisle). I'm in row 7.

Father in basic economy with two young boys starts juggling. He has 8F and asks the man in 8D to move to 31D...

The man is gracious and agrees. The middle seat passenger comes...he agrees to move back to a middle seat even further back.

I'm thinking...wow, nice people. And horrible father for separting his boys to save a few bucks.

Then the 1K gets upgraded -- 31D becomes 2D. Nice.

We take off. The kid behind me throws up over eveyrhting. Nasty. The stench is unberablae rihgt now, though I feel sorry for the litle guy.

FAs have tried their best to sanitize the area, but it still stinks.

Bet the guys were happy they volunteered to move instead of sitting next to sick junior.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Live from ORD-LAX.

Father in basic economy with two young boys starts juggling. He has 8F and asks the man in 8D to move to 31D...

The man is gracious and agrees. The middle seat passenger comes...he agrees to move back to a middle seat even further back.

I'm thinking...wow, nice people. And horrible father for separting his boys to save a few bucks.

We take off. The kid behind me throws up over eveyrhting. Nasty. The stench is unberablae rihgt now, though I feel sorry for the litle guy.

Bet the guys were happy they volunteered to move instead of sitting next to sick junior.
I just don't understand why groups pay for these tickets then inconvenience other people. However, it seemed to work out for those who people who moved.

If you are searching for more than 1 passanger, .bomb shouldn't even show BE (wishful thinking).
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Wink

Live from ORD-LAX.

Please tell me that the GA cleared a standby into 8D, and the standby and insisted on sitting in the seat on his/her boarding pass?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
I just don't understand why groups pay for these tickets then inconvenience other people. However, it seemed to work out for those who people who moved.

If you are searching for more than 1 passanger, .bomb shouldn't even show BE (wishful thinking).
I disagree. However, if there are minors involved it shouldn't offer BE.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SS255
Please tell me that the GA cleared a standby into 8D, and the standby and insisted on sitting in the seat on his/her boarding pass?
Unfortunately not.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Live from ORD-LAX.

I am trying to understand why Mr 8F did not offer to swap with 31F (which have been my suggestion if asked to swap) but guess the dad wanted the better seats.

I too feel sorry for kids who throw up and sympathy for the surrounding passengers in that situation.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by SS255
Oh! That's what those boarding passes are good for ---sitting on them when someone pukes. Then what are those little blue bags for?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
Wife Swapping on UA

I am surprised that you are so happy with the wife swap deal but who am I to judge?
But more seriously, on a trip from BWI to IAH I did my best to make the guy in the next seat uncomfortable for not accomadating an even swap in row 4. Total jerk to refuse. Be kind folks.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I can sympathize with that - but it really has to be like for like. My wife and I were the last folks upgraded on EWR-BRU a couple years back, and we were sitting in the last row of J on an sCO 772 - I was left side aisle, she was right side window. I asked the guy in the left side window next to me if he would be willing to swap with my wife, as there's literally no difference between the seats. I figured that was a very reasonable ask, but if he had said no? Whatever...that's life...I would be thankful just to be in the front cabin to begin with.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bartonhill
But more seriously, on a trip from BWI to IAH I did my best to make the guy in the next seat uncomfortable for not accomadating an even swap in row 4. Total jerk to refuse. Be kind folks.
How is "[doing one's best] to make the guy in the next seat uncomfortable" being kind?

I used to be more inclined to accept seat change requests....lately not so much. Probably met too many people such as in the YouTube clip upthread.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:07 am

Good one ... people in glass houses, stones etc

Originally Posted by narvik
How is "[doing one's best] to make the guy in the next seat uncomfortable" being kind?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: 3 MMer
I don't change with anybody, unless there's a kid behind me with perfect seat kickin' legs!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Two Bee
I don't change with anybody, unless there's a kid behind me with perfect seat kickin' legs!
You mean 99.3% then?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by hughw
It looks like I may have to ask someone tuesday.....I think we're going to cleared on a waitlist in Business for a TATL non-stop vs. a connecting flight. there's a half dozen scattered seats...if possibly, I'll take 3B and 4A on a 767. We'll ask the passenger in 4B if they'll switch to 3B....
3B to 4B on a 767? This is the kind of business class swap I have agreed to before to accommodate people who wanted to sit next to each other. In business class, I generally don't mind switching unless it is to one of those 4 across on the 777. It is the premium/regular/basic economy seat swaps where the flight experience can vary a lot depending on the seat.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
I have moved about 6 times over 9 years as 1K. In the past two years, probably declined 5 requests.

I was burned a couple times when someone said they were in an aisle but it was actually a window. One of the times I was pissed off when they gave me the wrong seat and confronted them for my seat back. Additionally, in today's universe you are entitled to a free beverage and moving just makes it more of a hassle to get the drink.

Outside of elderly people or moving to the same equivalent there is no way.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bartonhill
I am surprised that you are so happy with the wife swap deal but who am I to judge?

Was it his assigned seat? If so, he has every right to retain it. And you have no right to punish him for it. He's not a jerk for refusing to keep what is his.

Follow you own advice. Being kind means not bothering others to serve your own wants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.