Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to buy more NEW 763/4? [Rumor]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I see no reason why these won’t get Polaris seats. The only reason the sCO seats are still being installed on new 787s is because the procurement contracts date years to the original orders and UA determined it was uneconomical and/or impractical to try to get out of them.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Slightly off topic, but. Did I just wake up in an alternative universe where Zodiac is magically erased it’s back log and is now producing a surplus of Polaris seats?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Somewhat relatedly, Delta made some positive noise around the 797 MoM concept and mentioned they might want to be a launch customer for it. I do wonder what UA is going to do, because they simply don’t have the frames (IMO) to compete if they keep existing product / don’t retrofit everything (which won’t happen).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Slightly off topic, but. Did I just wake up in an alternative universe where Zodiac is magically erased it’s back log and is now producing a surplus of Polaris seats?
I think its possible, but the problem is that United essentially missed an entire winter of retrofits (when WB utilization is lower) because of Zodiac UK production issues in 2016-2017. All resources were devoted to making up the backlog to fit out the new 77Ws, which Boeing was producing and parking since Zodiac couldn't deliver the Polaris seats on time. Then, for most of Summer 2017, only one 767 was in HKG for mods, the STC bird. I have to believe this is something UA would have, ideally, been able to accomplish in the first half of 2017 so the mods could really begin in earnest once the summer travel season wound down. The ramp-up to 3 mod lines took until the late fall or so, and the first retrofit 777 (STC bird) didn't even make it to the shop until December. The net effect is that United is, in my estimation, 6-8 months behind where it theoretically could have been by this time, if everything went off without a hitch.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Somewhat relatedly, Delta made some positive noise around the 797 MoM concept and mentioned they might want to be a launch customer for it. I do wonder what UA is going to do, because they simply don’t have the frames (IMO) to compete if they keep existing product / don’t retrofit everything (which won’t happen).
I'd bet the farm on United being an early, if not the launch customer, of the 797. Delta is obviously right there too because of their large 767 fleet with no apparent replacement in the size category. It's also important optics for Delta to maintain its relationship with Boeing as well as ensure a competitive position with Airbus.

I also strongly believe the 767-400ERs will be retrofit with the Polaris product, but not before the 777s are finished. They will be in the fleet long enough for another interior refresh, which will likely be limited to the premium cabin.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 13, 2018 at 4:44 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I remember hearing somewhere (which I cannot verify independently) that UA had a deal with Boeing to have the Right of First Refusal to be the 797 launch customer.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
I remember hearing somewhere (which I cannot verify independently) that UA had a deal with Boeing to have the Right of First Refusal to be the 797 launch customer.
I'm sure Kirby will find a reason not to do it, probably because it costs too much.

Am I being too cynical?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:21 pm

Can we please send DL our 753s in trade for their 764s?
windhund likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:42 am
RNE

Any guesses what the diameter of the 797 will be? Narrower than 787, I assume. Further, any hope of its coach seating retaining 2-X-2?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by RNE
Any guesses what the diameter of the 797 will be? Narrower than 787, I assume. Further, any hope of its coach seating retaining 2-X-2?
I would assume it would be similar to the width of a 767, then you have 7, 9, and 10 across aircraft. Of it is going to be a 767 and 757 replacement they would be smart to have it have similar seating arrangements
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Boeing unlikely to resume passenger 767 production
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I wonder if they will look to the used market? It would be hard to imagine they will add a new type to the fleet and go with A330's.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
I wonder if they will look to the used market? It would be hard to imagine they will add a new type to the fleet and go with A330's.
I believe they are already adding 3 used 763s from HA this year. It’s just frustrating, since given UA is apparently content to wait for the 797, there’s zero chance they do something market-leading (e.g. expanding premium TCON service).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
I might be wrong, but I am under the impression that many of the used frames are being snapped up by cargo airlines.
chrisljo likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FN-GM
I might be wrong, but I am under the impression that many of the used frames are being snapped up by cargo airlines.
Boeing is still building 767 freighters and military versions - just no passenger 767s.

David
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
It’s just frustrating, since given UA is apparently content to wait for the 797, there’s zero chance they do something market-leading
UA will do something market-leading as soon as DL does it first

Also, you are correct the picked up some HA 76's: http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...d-buying-spree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.