Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When, exactly, do you get status?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

When, exactly, do you get status?

This might be a dumb question, but when exactly does united consider elite status changes to have occurred? I ask because I noticed in my account that when miles come in from parter airlines they are backdated to the date I flew, not the date days (or more) later when they post.

The scenario I’m facing right now is that a flight on a partner (not united ticketed) will presumably post in the next few days and that flight would have pushed me up to gold from silver. But I also took a flight today on united while my account still showed me as a silver.

So my question is how many RDMs I should be eating for that second flight? Silver level or gold level?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:49 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
the answer is silver. ua does it on status at time of post. i'm amazed other airlines would back date it. which ones are those?

rdm and eqm simultaneously post. normally it's 24-72 hours in my experience flying ua ac et oz nh lh. tk and sa are a week or so but that's tk and sa for you.

i'm pretty sure you can call the mileage plus center and have it adjusted if the additional multiplier makes that huge of a difference to you, that is:
you fly saturday 1000 miles (qualify for gold)
you fly sunday 9000 miles

sunday miles post monday at the silver multiplier (getting you gold)
saturday miles post tuesday at the gold multiplier

you want sunday miles to post at the gold level and understand saturday miles will post at silver value.

yeah gl explaining that succinctly to them. let us know the result cause i never bothered doing this
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cur

i'm pretty sure you can call the mileage plus center and have it adjusted if the additional multiplier makes that huge of a difference to you, that is:
you fly saturday 1000 miles (qualify for gold)
you fly sunday 9000 miles

sunday miles post monday at the silver multiplier (getting you gold)
saturday miles post tuesday at the gold multiplier

you want sunday miles to post at the gold level and understand saturday miles will post at silver value.

yeah gl explaining that succinctly to them. let us know the result cause i never bothered doing this
That’s my situation. I’ll try calling once everything posts. It will be worth a few thousand miles so that’s enough for me to bother.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by beckcommar
That’s my situation. I’ll try calling once everything posts. It will be worth a few thousand miles so that’s enough for me to bother.
Yes - system does it based on when it posts, despite filing it with the original date.

And calling should work for getting a manual adjustment, but patient about explaining it.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
manual adjustment will work. Done that for a colleague recently where on an expensive intl ticket he turned from nothing to Gold.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Are you sure it requires manual adjustment? Maybe things have changed, but a couple of data points on my end:

- In the old days when all flights were credited based on distance (though was likely pre-merger), I did have bonuses auto-adjust when a new flight posted. i.e. hit a new status level on a weekend trip on outbound on Friday, return on Sunday posted with lower status bonus, then re-adjusted a few days later after the new status was fully through the system, or some kind of process ran
- On a non-USA to USA address change: Left US in 2013 (before $-based earning), changed my address back to US in 2015 sometime, or maybe was early '16. Hit status while abroad, but most on * carriers. When I changed my address back, all flights, going back to the start of $-based credit, were automatically lowered to silver earning (from gold or plat, can't even remember) since my spend was only at silver level, even though it was for years I was not in the US. Had to call to get those re-instated. Same deal with my wife.

So it is possible that it will auto-adjust on its own, just may take a few days. If not, definitely call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.