Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
No one can confirm that United will do so, but there have been many reports of this in the past.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hoshattack
Originally Posted by PSTraveler
Hi all - I currently have 51K PQMs but am $33 short of $6,000 for 2018 Gold status. A United rep told me that it's likely that I'll be given Gold status despite being just short in PQDs, as I'm within a small $ amount of the hurdle. Can anyone confirm that United will do this with PQDs? Thanks!
No one can confirm that United will do so, but there have been many reports of this in the past.
In the thread's wiki there are links to some of those cases however others have reported disappointment.

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018 provides some simple solutions if you are including flights not yet taken in 2017.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Where can one view access to the mileage accelerator? I have a colleague who is about 500 miles short, but over the PQD requirement. Is there something other than a mileage run to do?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Silly question that I think I know the answer. I’m 1100 miles from 1K. If I fly in First ORD-MKE and back, would I get 2000 miles. I’ve never paid for First on a sub 500 mile flight.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
LASUA1K, Yes, since you are now Gold and if you fly the ORD/MKE RT in booking classes A,C,D,Z, or P, you'll get 1,000 PQMs each way. Flying in booking classes F and J will cost you possibly a lot more, and give you 1,500 PQMs each way.
LASUA1K likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 15, 2017 at 11:28 pm Reason: Correct typo
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Where can one view access to the mileage accelerator? I have a colleague who is about 500 miles short, but over the PQD requirement. Is there something other than a mileage run to do?
They have to have a reservation booked. The accelerator offers are within the manage reservations section.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Other than an MR, the Premier Accelerator is an option, reviewing this threads may helpPremier Accelerator does require for there to be an upcoming flight, but if you don't have one, you can book one, purchase the PQMs and cancel in the free cancellation window. Detailed in the above threads.
Note the costs of PQMs via Premier Accelerator become very expensive in December.

If there is an existing trip book for 2017, see the last link for suggestions how to earn more PQMs on the existing booking.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
I’m done with travel for the year and ended up 341 PQM short of reaching Plat. I have a little over $13k in PQD spend in 2017. I am out of time to complete a mileage run before the end of the year to cross the 75k hurdle. Truth be told, the bump from Gold to Plat probably isn’t worth shelling out $250+ for a mileage run ticket or an Accelerator buy up to me anyway.

I am going to call UA today or tomorrow and beg for a bump, but I wanted to tap the collective here to properly set my expectations before calling. What are the odds of >$4k above min PQD spend ($9k for Plat) being enough to grant me the extra 341 PQM for the next level? (Also reached the CC waiver level for Plat too FWIW).

Cheers,
Beer Me!

*** UPDATE ***
A quick update for the group... I called MP a few minutes ago. The agent told me that I am definitely fine. According to him, the agents have been told that if you are within 500 PQM that UA is going to just grant the next tier status. If I was >500 PQM away, they are instructed to tell people that inquire that there will be a buy-up offer in January.
YMMV, so it may be worth a call to get a direct answer for yourself anyway for those in a similar boat.Cheers,Beer Me!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2017 at 3:47 pm Reason: merging updated post by same member
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Beer Me!

*** UPDATE ***
A quick update for the group... I called MP a few minutes ago. The agent told me that I am definitely fine. According to him, the agents have been told that if you are within 500 PQM that UA is going to just grant the next tier status. If I was >500 PQM away, they are instructed to tell people that inquire that there will be a buy-up offer in January.
YMMV, so it may be worth a call to get a direct answer for yourself anyway for those in a similar boat.Cheers,Beer Me!
I hope this works out and you didn't get a MOLA. Better to have these things in writing, but I agree gold --> plat is not a huge difference
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Without RewardsPlus w/Marriott I have zero chance to retain my Silver Elite status.

I have Flex PQM from my Prez + credit card, but as long as RewardsPlus still in play, I will have Marriott Plat which will qualify me for United Silver.

If RP is not in play, i can transfer over Flex PQM prior to Jan 31 to top off my miles earning for 2017 so i can qualify that way instead.

Otherwise, I would transfer over the expiring Flex PQM to the 2018 earnings year (no sense letting them go to waste)

It just seems like I always need to be on top of my Marriott Status, and RP links to keep my United Silver.

Any suggestions for making sure i dont get stuck without United Status for 2018?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Flew 100,450 miles but only 10,650 PQD. Been a 1K for 6 years running. If they don't grant me an exception figuring how much I should best go about situation below:

Had a flight in November that was delayed 5 hours due to MX and so I would have missed my connect in IAH and next flight was 24 hours later. I was rebooked on LAN by my travel agent. Turns out it was a new PNR. That flight would put me over. Would MPSC give me ORC on that or do I need to ask Customer Care?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Flew 100,450 miles but only 10,650 PQD. Been a 1K for 6 years running. If they don't grant me an exception
Zero chance of an exception, too far away from the PQD requirement.

figuring how much I should best go about situation below:

Had a flight in November that was delayed 5 hours due to MX and so I would have missed my connect in IAH and next flight was 24 hours later. I was rebooked on LAN by my travel agent. Turns out it was a new PNR. That flight would put me over. Would MPSC give me ORC on that or do I need to ask Customer Care?
Was this a UA ticket?
What carrier created the problem, not UA?
Appears you (your travel agent) made the change? Not the carrier that created the issue?
What happened with the original flight, did you TA cancel it? Was it refunded?

On the surface, this is going to be a hard sell for ORC. Have you read Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
l
Was this a UA ticket?
What carrier created the problem, not UA?
Appears you (your travel agent) made the change? Not the carrier that created the issue?
What happened with the original flight, did you TA cancel it? Was it refunded?

On the surface, this is going to be a hard sell for ORC. Have you read Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking?
016 ticket on exclusively UA metal. GA unwilling to rebook on LA ex JFK so called TA. Unsure on refund
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

016 ticket on exclusively UA metal. GA unwilling to rebook on LA ex JFK so called TA. Unsure on refund
Not involving UA in the change and if there was a refund (used to fund the replacement ticket), then ORC is off the table.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: United Milage Plus
What will UA do?

Not sure I can answer all of you questions, but here's a data point.
I finished 2017 with 102,000 PQM. I was Premier 1K in 2017 and after logging in this morning (It's noon on January 1st, 2018 where I am today) I noticed that I am still 1K. However, it seems that I DID NOT meet the PQD requirement this year and DID NOT receive any Global Premier Upgrades for use in 2018. So supposedly I have kept my 1K status based on 2017 status and miles flown but have not received full perks for not meeting the PQD. Bummer.

So United has made good on their threat to raise and enforce the minimum PQD for 1K status. Interestingly enough, I did a quick tally of how many miles I flew on partner airlines which were deemed "INELIGIBLE" for PQD credit and quickly reached 50,000 miles. I realize that UA wants to reward me with upgrades for my loyalty (as they define it), but UA simply does not fly where I need them to go and, for whatever reason, cannot reconcile their code share issues with other SA partners in order to make me whole.

What a pity. There is almost no incentive for me to even TRY to fly on a UA flight in 2018. At least in 2017, I had a handful of Global Premier Upgrades to use. This year? Not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.