Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tonight's foibles ... cleaners not addressing UX bathroom issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat

Plane's 2 1/2 hours late. We board, finally.

Cleaners come on the plane. Grab trash, leave.

FA: "Aren't you going to clean the bathroom?"

Cleaner: "I did!"

FA: "All you did was take the trash! Who's going to clean the bathroom?"

Cleaner: "It's clean."

FA: "There's urine on the floor!!!"

Cleaner: "There's urine on the floor?"

FA: "This plane sat on the ground for 6 hours before coming here! You didn't think the bathroom would be used??"

Cleaner: "I cleaned it."

FA: "No you didn't! There's urine on the floor!! IT needs to be sanitized!"

Cleaner: "I don't have anything like that."

FA: "Does cleaning mean something different to you??"

Pilot: "I need one of you to run to the grocery store and get some Lysol or something!"

Cleaner: "I don't have anything."

Pilot: "Sorry for the heat, folks. The auxiliary power unit's broken, so we can't run the A/C on the ground."

FA: "I'll open the rear door to try to air the smell out while we wait."

FA answers phone. "Gate XXX. Yes, yes I called. We need someone with sanitizer. No he didn't clean anything - There's urine on the floor!!"

Now there's a conference of a half dozen people on the jetbridge arguing about what "cleaning" means.

United Express at its finest. Abbott and Costello run this airline, I swear.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
FA answers phone. "Gate XXX. Yes, yes I called. We need someone with sanitizer. No he didn't clean anything - There's urine on the floor!!"

Now there's a conference of a half dozen people on the jetbridge arguing about what "cleaning" means.

United Express at its finest. Abbott and Costello run this airline, I swear.
Hardly an ideal scenario, but I'm surprised you're blaming UA. It sounds as if the FA was willing to go to bat to ensure the plane was ready for customers, even when the cleaning contractor couldn't make it happen.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... United Express at its finest. Abbott and Costello run this airline, I swear.
Seems the UX employees were trying to get this done right and the non-UA/UX cleaning contractor crew (supplied by the airport or a third party) were the problem.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Hardly an ideal scenario, but I'm surprised you're blaming UA. It sounds as if the FA was willing to go to bat to ensure the plane was ready for customers, even when the cleaning contractor couldn't make it happen.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Seems the UX employees were trying to get this done right and the non-UA/UX cleaning contractor crew (supplied by the airport or a third party) were the problem.
The cabin crew are ABSOLUTELY doing the right thing, 100%. This isn't on them at all ... they've been awesome - in fact, the captain stopped at each row of passengers to personally apologize and make sure we were all OK. Really fantastic.

I do, however, still blame UA. I'm departing from my home airport ... good 'ol EWR. Seeing whereas United is responsible for all terminal operations of both Terminal A and C .... they're ultimately responsible for the cleaning failure. Even if they subcontract that out, as the terminal operator, it's their responsibility to make sure I'm not stepping in pee.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
The cabin crew are ABSOLUTELY doing the right thing, 100%. This isn't on them at all ... they've been awesome - in fact, the captain stopped at each row of passengers to personally apologize and make sure we were all OK. Really fantastic.

I do, however, still blame UA. I'm departing from my home airport ... good 'ol EWR. Seeing whereas United is responsible for all terminal operations of both Terminal A and C .... they're ultimately responsible for the cleaning failure. Even if they subcontract that out, as the terminal operator, it's their responsibility to make sure I'm not stepping in pee.
Totally agree. Furthermore, the buck has to stop somewhere and as paying customers the buck stops at who we paid!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Totally agree. Furthermore, the buck has to stop somewhere and as paying customers the buck stops at who we paid!
Hopefully the pee stops here!

David
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by DELee
Hopefully the pee stops here!

David
Unless you are on a P fare.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Grocery store? Surely there's not one of those less than 45 min roundtrip away?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Good luck getting that non 3-1-1 compliant can of Lysol past TSA...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
Grocery store? Surely there's not one of those less than 45 min roundtrip away?
... the 1/3-joking, 1/3-PO'd, 1/3-"disbelief-how-can-such-a-simple-task-be-so-hard" nature of the pilot's statement doesn't exactly come through in a forum. It was quite funny, in a what-I-really-mean-is-that-you're-seriously-telling-me-this-whole-da&n-airport-doesn't-have-any-cleaning-supplies kind of way ....
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat

X2 My general rule for blame allocation is the name who takes my money on my credit card statement , who they choose to subcontract to or delegate is not my concern
iluv2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.