Search

Best way for a UA flyer to go to Germany

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:21 pm
formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Best way for a UA flyer to go to Germany

Looking for any advice on traveling to Germany from LA/SoCal area. Seems that all flights that I can find are now operated by Lufthansa, even connecting through SFO, etc.

The caveat is no E+ (?) and I cannot select seats until checkin (!) if flying on Lufthansa?

Are there any UA aircraft that fly to Germany nowadays? Was wanting Munich but...can drive to Munich via other cities if needed.

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Looking for any advice on traveling to Germany from LA/SoCal area. Seems that all flights that I can find are now operated by Lufthansa, even connecting through SFO, etc.
Are there any UA aircraft that fly to Germany nowadays? Was wanting Munich but...can drive to Munich via other cities if needed.

Thanks!
Are you looking for an award or paid flights?

Plenty of flights from USA (SFO, ORD, EWR, IAD, IAH) to FRA. ORD, IAD to MUC, but SFO-MUC is seasonal
EWR-TXL (EWR-HAM has been dropped)

I cannot select seats until checkin (!) if flying on Lufthansa?...
Actually you can with LH flight number and you go to the LH website

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2017 at 3:38 pm Reason: forgot about IAD
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Try flying via IAD or EWR. There is a new fare sale out. I saw plenty of UA flights (just not nonstop - that's LH only it seems) available in mid October for example. Here is the link:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-us/con...togermany.aspx
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold

Thanks!
I'm doing SFO-IAH-MUC on Friday all on UA metal. You can connect to MUC at other hubs as well (ORD/EWR/IAD). SFO-MUC is seasonal.

Just need to check the UA Timetable: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...e/default.aspx
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:45 pm
formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Paid flights, yes. Seasonal must be the answer. I am searching in March 2018 and there are zero UA metal flights from LAX with connectors in SFO/IAH, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, the only non-stop from LAX to MUX is the Lufthansa flight. I've done the Lufthansa LAX-MUC and/or MUC-LAX flight a couple times. To me the advantage of the nonstop outweigh the disadvantages ... Although in the past we've always been able to select seats either online or over the phone with Lufthansa. Going again in a couple months, so we'll see about the seat selection process. I agree that not being able to select seats is a drawback.

I've also done LAX-LHR-MUC and return, with the long flights on United and short flights on Lufthansa. E+ on the long flights is a definite plus and the short flights are short enough that the lack of E+ doesn't matter much.

LAX-ORD-MUC is available on United. Done it once or twice - advantage in it being all United, disadvantage of connecting in ORD, especially on the return trip. LAX-EWR-MUC is also a possibility. Also LAX-IAD-MUC on United.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:53 pm
formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Excellent replies, thank you!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you looking for an award or paid flights?

Plenty of flights from USA (SFO, ORD, EWR, IAD, IAH) to FRA. ORD, IAD to MUC, but SFO-MUC is seasonal
EWR-TXL (EWR-HAM has been dropped)

Actually you can with LH flight number and you go to the LH website
EWR-HAM is seasonal now - it has not been dropped. I flew it last month, and it still shows up as bookable next summer. Transiting in HAM was bar none the easiest immigration experience I have had at any Schengen entry point. It's also a pretty easy award to snag as well.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:46 pm
formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Yea, literally nothing LAX>MUC at end of March 2018 in the timetable. Only Lufthansa
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Paid flights, yes. Seasonal must be the answer. I am searching in March 2018 and there are zero UA metal flights from LAX with connectors in SFO/IAH, etc.
Essentially not true -- I see plenty of paid flights options via EWR, ORD, IAD, .....

What dates are you looking??

Yea, literally nothing LAX>MUC at end of March 2018 in the timetable. Only Lufthansa
UA does not provide n/s LAX-MUC BUT I see plenty of 1 stop all UA operated.

Is non-stop LAX-MUC the only acceptable choice?

Otherwise, there are plenty of all UA options.
In Advance Search, you can select UA/UX only (no partners)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, BA, Miles & More Frequent Traveler

The caveat is no E+ (?) and I cannot select seats until checkin (!) if flying on Lufthansa?

Thanks!
You could do LAX - ZRH with LX, then a short hop to MUC, TXL or HAM. I have done the SFO - ZRH a few times. I prefer C on LX actually than to LH. But that's an entirely different thread of course. There is LAX - EWR - TXL. Depending on your flight from LAX the flight from EWR to TXL always leaves around 6:10pm and arrives in Berlin at 7:55am.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Sure you can, buy your ticket from LH.

Are there any UA aircraft that fly to Germany nowadays?
Seriously? UA averages 12 flights a day to Germany including 4 to Munich.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Don't forget that if you buy LH Premium Economy at a non-discount fare - which I've been able to do on 016 ticket stock via Google Flights - you can apply a GPU and fly in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.