Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does (should) UA have a policy on dogs poopin in the lavs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does (should) UA have a policy on dogs poopin in the lavs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, travelling with a pet probably also adds to the stress so I too think a lot of it is scam.

I was on a flight a few weeks ago that 2 women next to each other both had pets (can't remember if it was 2 dogs or 1 dog + 1 cat). It turned out they were mother and daughter and the pets knew each other.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Baze
Hmmm, can you show us a policy that says lavs are for humans only? Animals have normal bodily functions yet you think they should hold it until they land? Would you be able to? Inside the body it works the same. And where did you get the idea they were "roaming the cabins"? Sounds like they got up to go to the lav. And believe me, some animals are a lot cleaner than some of the humans that use the lavs.
Never said there was a policy. Stating my opinion and while I do acknowledge that animals have to do many of the same things we humans do it doesn't mean they have to act like humans. I bet that dog peedpooped in the sink and that is not my cup of tea.

My definition of "roaming" is not in a kennel or on a leash, period. This whole thread has convinced me to write a letter to United to express my displeasure with their pet "policies". And before anyone calls me a animal hater you should know I have had no less than one pet living with me for the past 25 years and while I was a child with only gap being my 4 years in college.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Collierkr
This whole thread has convinced me to write a letter to United to express my displeasure with their pet "policies".
I suggest that your letters would be better sent to the Department of Transportation and your Representatives.

"Pets" must be in a carrier. That's all any US airline can control.

Assistance animals are governed by DOT regulations with which US airlines must comply. The only way for that to change is for the DOT to change it or for Congress to pass legislation changing it.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Believe me, I am no animal lover and don't have pets and don't want pets. I just think about the realities. I
But in a confined tube, reality is animals need to relieve themselves too and just saying, as someone else did, make them wait until on the ground, is not realistic. So if you have a solution, present it and maybe the airlines will pick up on it. Until then, where else are they going to go?
The reality is that common pets shouldn't be in the confined tube in the first place. And every single dog I have ever owned has been able to "hold it" for a minimum of 4 hours without any health concern.

I am not bashing service dogs but also know that a true service dog can make it 4 hours without need for relief.

Originally Posted by transportprof
OK - so here goes: I think that aircraft are going to need to have one lav designated for occasional animal relief. It should be designated, and announced in the spiel that few people listen to about using the lavs in your ticketed cabin and not congregating in the galleys. It should have a large logo on the door, perhaps there is a standard pictogram ? And flight attendants should enforce keeping animals out of the other lavs.

I think that the animal relief lav should be the one farthest away from any galley, wherever that is practicable. And I don't think it should be the forward for safety reasons - we want to keep animals away from the cockpit area and the forward galley, lest Fters think I'm being needlessly elitist.

And to answer Kacee's earlier question, the lady carrying the canine did come up front from the economy seats. And this was right when the FA's were serving dinner in the front!
Love the idea but who is paying for this? Like many great ideas this has a cost and it isnt small.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
I suggest that your letters would be better sent to the Department of Transportation and your Representatives.

"Pets" must be in a carrier. That's all any US airline can control.

Assistance animals are governed by DOT regulations with which US airlines must comply. The only way for that to change is for the DOT to change it or for Congress to pass legislation changing it.
I am fine with service animals... my beef is with all the other illegitimate abuses.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 16, 2017 at 6:34 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reality is that common pets shouldn't be in the confined tube in the first place. And every single dog I have ever owned has been able to "hold it" for a minimum of 4 hours without any health concern.

I am not bashing service dogs but also know that a true service dog can make it 4 hours without need for relief.
And a transcon can be up to 5-7 hours, international longer. Or should service animals not be allowed to fly anything over 4 hours which would mean the human they are servicing can't fly anything over 4 hours. Guess they don't get to go to grammas funeral or a siblings wedding or anything else that may require a flight over 4 hours.

And I agree, it is the abuse of the owners of the non-service animals that gets me.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:03 pm

And a transcon can be up to 5-7 hours, international longer. Or should service animals not be allowed to fly anything over 4 hours which would mean the human they are servicing can't fly anything over 4 hours. Guess they don't get to go to grammas funeral or a siblings wedding or anything else that may require a flight over 4 hours.

And I agree, it is the abuse of the owners of the non-service animals that gets me.
I struggle to come up with a solution for the transcontinental flights etc. it is not allowing dogs to use lavs as they currently exist on planes today.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I struggle to come up with a solution for the transcontinental flights etc. it is not allowing dogs to use lavs as they currently exist on planes today.
Then that means the dog goes in the space where everyone is sitting. I would rather they use the lav and not go in the area where I may be sitting.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

For domestic lower 48 routes, there are connections through ORD or IAH rather than transcon nonstops. Animals on international itineraries have country specific rules.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I am fine with service animals... my beef is with all the other illegitimate abuses.
Only the DOT or Congress can make any changes to cut down on any abuses.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For domestic lower 48 routes, there are connections through ORD or IAH rather than transcon nonstops. Animals on international itineraries have country specific rules.
So are you saying someone with a service animal should not book a transcon that doesn't connect somewhere along the way and they should allow a long enough connection to take the animal somewhere it can relieve itself? If they need the help of a true service dog not sure how they would accomplish that. And not sure what country specific rules has to do with a service animal and relieving itself on an international flight. Can you explain?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So are you saying someone with a service animal should not book a transcon that doesn't connect somewhere along the way and they should allow a long enough connection to take the animal somewhere it can relieve itself? If they need the help of a true service dog not sure how they would accomplish that. And not sure what country specific rules has to do with a service animal and relieving itself on an international flight. Can you explain?
*IF* someone is concerned that their animal should have a bathroom break every four hours, the solution is to pick routings that don't have long segments. If the animal doesn't need a bathroom break every four hours--and many pets don't, as they're left alone all day while the owner is at work--they they can book longer segments.

It's a moot point for international routes that don't permit cabin pets.
Collierkr likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I don't know what went on in the lav. But I do know that the next couple of pax came out of there with a "look" that suggested all was not well in there.
That restroom is the size of a phone booth and has been in constant use all day with the waste still feet away. Probably 80% of the time, they smell abhorrent just from the humans. I don't know that this is really conclusive proof that the dog took a dump Colombo.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*IF* someone is concerned that their animal should have a bathroom break every four hours, the solution is to pick routings that don't have long segments. If the animal doesn't need a bathroom break every four hours--and many pets don't, as they're left alone all day while the owner is at work--they they can book longer segments.

It's a moot point for international routes that don't permit cabin pets.
Can you show me on the UA page where it says Service dogs are not allowed in the cabin? I read it over a couple of times and it does not say they have to go in the hold. It mentions about certain countries not allowing or needing prior approval but doesn't say they can' be in the cabin if allowed.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e_animals.aspx
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:34 pm

Can you show me on the UA page where it says Service dogs are not allowed in the cabin? I read it over a couple of times and it does not say they have to go in the hold. It mentions about certain countries not allowing or needing prior approval but doesn't say they can' be in the cabin if allowed.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e_animals.aspx
I said pets. I'm not talking about service dogs.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I said pets. I'm not talking about service dogs.
Sorry, it all kind of started to run together. But where would you have the service dog go on a long international trip? That seems to be the bone of contention with the other poster but they never said where they would be ok with it only where they don't want it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.