Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Reserve & Mileage Plus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I love SQ as well since I can transfer from UR and AMEX. However, I've been noticing their long haul F and J have been harder to find (have noticed wait list only). Lately, I've been transferring to KE who has great F availability.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Why not just use Explorer on all of your non-dining/travel, up to 25K, and then CSR for dining/travel? Then you get the benefits of both. Better to be silver than just a CC holder IMO for a number of subtle reasons.
Also the two club passes can really help justify the explorer too if you use them only in case of misconnect or something when you really have nowhere to go. Usually i find two per year is just enough.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Somewhat related, I just reached the pinnacle of high status, UA Silver, and have the Chase Explorer card. Does UA Silver give me and and one companion on the same PNR each a checked bag (as the explorer card does), or only me? My girlfriend and I often each check a bag if we're traveling on vacation together, so that's my break point if I continue to use the explorer card, or if I use my sapphire preferred for the lost bag and overnight irregular ops insurance.

I've looked all over the UA website, couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other about bags, but since one companion is eligible for the E+ and (nonexistent) CPU, it seems like they'd logically also get the bag?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zspitzer
I've looked all over the UA website, couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other about bags, but since one companion is eligible for the E+ and (nonexistent) CPU, it seems like they'd logically also get the bag?
Yes; a UA silver and companions will get one free bag if booked on the same PNR.

The relevant text is here, near the bottom, in "Checked Baggage Charge Exceptions:"

Travel companions of MileagePlus Premier members will have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions do not apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers.
zspitzer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by DesertRat
Why not just use Explorer on all of your non-dining/travel, up to 25K, and then CSR for dining/travel? Then you get the benefits of both. Better to be silver than just a CC holder IMO for a number of subtle reasons.
Also the two club passes can really help justify the explorer too if you use them only in case of misconnect or something when you really have nowhere to go. Usually i find two per year is just enough.
Pretty much this.

I spend all non-travel purchases on MileagePlus Chase card. Yes it isn't a good deal at 1 mile per 1 dollar but when you spend 25K you then also get the 10K-mile bonus, so it is roughly 1.4 miles per 1 USD if you spend upto 25K. (I do realize 25K is a lot of money to dedicate to one card... especially given that free Chase Freedom Unlimited gives you practically 1.5 miles per dollar spent, even more if you own CSR card since you can transfer chase ultimate points to your CSR account then redeem)

I also like to hunt for cheaper trans-pacific flights, so I can potentially hit UA Gold or Platinum in terms of PQM requirement, but it won't satisfy the PQD requirement. In these types of situations this PQD waiver is very useful.

The 2 United club passes are somewhat useful too - usually I just use the priority pass card that comes with CSR but in my home airport SFO, this is pretty much useless as the only thing available is KLM lounge that is on the wrong side of international terminal if you are flying United . So I do use that club passes for these years that I fail to hit UA Gold.

If you don't intend to fly at least 50,000+ PQM for the next tier PQD waiver then I do feel your money is generally spent better on CSR. Just having the MP card gives you pretty much all Silver gives you except the E+ at the last minute. E+ could be useful in the long haul flights but otherwise not much better than economy anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.