Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Reserve & Mileage Plus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Chase Reserve & Mileage Plus

Hoping to get some help here!

I have the Reserve card and love the benefits of minimum 4.5% travel/dining.
I'm flying out of BNA and use UA a lot. I have 82k Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

I currently have Silver on UA, but will lose it this year due to the PQD requirement. I booked my Asia trip using points. Assumption: I'll qualify in 2018 for the PQM or PQS. I will not qualify based on PQD.

Does it make sense to get the Mileage Plus card and use it for my UA spend and enough other spending to get to the $25k for 10k bonus AND to qualify for Silver based on PQM or PQS and get the PQD waived? It seems like I'd get 35k points or 2.1% assuming UA is worth 1.5%

I currently use the Citi 2x Cash for non dining/travel pleasure and the Chase Freedom Unlimited for Biz expenses. Both will hit the $25k spending by themselves. If the Unlimited gets me 1.5 points worth a minimum of 2.25% then the 2.1% vs 2.25% is very small.

Does it make sense to use the UA Card for United travel vs for the 4.5% for the Reserve in this case? 2 points UA equals 3% assuming 1 UA = 1.5%. The Reserve is much higher but I'm wondering if the benefits of the UA card are worth the difference. I was routed through ORD to Calgary in August and got 2 FC upgrades. I'm guessing that's since I was Silver. I wouldn't fly FC on UA domestically.

I have a E+ subscription through 8/2018. I despise flying regular economy.

Does having the card and/or status make it easier to get more Saver ability?

Thanks in advance!

Justin
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by JustinNashville
Hoping to get some help here!

I have the Reserve card and love the benefits of minimum 4.5% travel/dining.
I'm flying out of BNA and use UA a lot. I have 82k Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

I currently have Silver on UA, but will lose it this year due to the PQD requirement. I booked my Asia trip using points. Assumption: I'll qualify in 2018 for the PQM or PQS. I will not qualify based on PQD.

Does it make sense to get the Mileage Plus card and use it for my UA spend and enough other spending to get to the $25k for 10k bonus AND to qualify for Silver based on PQM or PQS and get the PQD waived? It seems like I'd get 35k points or 2.1% assuming UA is worth 1.5%

I currently use the Citi 2x Cash for non dining/travel pleasure and the Chase Freedom Unlimited for Biz expenses. Both will hit the $25k spending by themselves. If the Unlimited gets me 1.5 points worth a minimum of 2.25% then the 2.1% vs 2.25% is very small.

Does it make sense to use the UA Card for United travel vs for the 4.5% for the Reserve in this case? 2 points UA equals 3% assuming 1 UA = 1.5%. The Reserve is much higher but I'm wondering if the benefits of the UA card are worth the difference. I was routed through ORD to Calgary in August and got 2 FC upgrades. I'm guessing that's since I was Silver. I wouldn't fly FC on UA domestically.

I have a E+ subscription through 8/2018. I despise flying regular economy.

Does having the card and/or status make it easier to get more Saver ability?

Thanks in advance!

Justin
The following is just my opinion, so take from it what you will. I think $25K is a lot of potential to be giving up from using the MP card instead of the reserve. Just having the MP card gets you the same availability for awards as Silver. Furthermore, for flights you pay with the card, you can still get the luggage allowance. I think just having the card gives you BG2.

So, that leaves you with E+ at 24H and slim chance of CPU for $25k of points+bonus categories. Since you are already paying for E+ subscription anyway, I'm not sure I see the value in trading rewards for the PQD waiver. If you were going for gold, that would be a different story.

So, if I were in your shoes, I'd put spend on reserve but get the UA explorer card.

Edit: Just wanted to add that if things like Premier Access are important to you, you could always just pay for it ala carte and still come out ahead.

Last edited by eeflyer; Sep 2, 2017 at 10:40 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:44 am
Original Poster

I rarely check bags so not sure how much the BG2 (assume this means two checked bags or?) is worth to me and that'd force me to use the Explorer to get it giving me 3% rewards vs 4.5%, right?

"Free Checked Bag
Save up to $100 per roundtrip. The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. See united.com/chasebag for details."

The Club passes are of some value but not sure it's $50/ea ($95 / 2)

So, having the card will give me more access to rewards even if I don't use it to book flights and do not have status?

If I don't get use the 25k then I won't have status.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:28 pm

I rarely check bags so not sure how much the BG2 (assume this means two checked bags or?) is worth to me and that'd force me to use the Explorer to get it giving me 3% rewards vs 4.5%, right?

"Free Checked Bag
Save up to $100 per roundtrip. The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. See united.com/chasebag for details."

The Club passes are of some value but not sure it's $50/ea ($95 / 2)

So, having the card will give me more access to rewards even if I don't use it to book flights and do not have status?

If I don't get use the 25k then I won't have status.
BG2 is boarding group 2, so boarding earlier than you would without status.

The main benefits of silver are:
1) Boarding group 2
2) Premier Access
3) One checked bag free
4) CPU
5) E+ at check-in
6) expanded award availability (XN fare class, I think)

You get 1 and 6 through just having the UA explorer card. You can get 2 ala carte per flight. You get 3 if you use the UA card to buy the flight. However as you rarely check bags, you could just book on the reserve anyway. You have 5 through the subscription. The subscription also gets you E+ at booking, not at checkin.

So I'm saying that you'd be trading a lot of points for marginal benefits that could mostly be obtained through other means. Finally, I do think that UR points are worth more than UA points.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Okay great, that makes a lot of sense.

1) BG2 doesn't really mean anything for me as long as I have E+
2) PA isn't a big deal for me. I have Global Entry so not concerned about getting through security faster. Priority bags not a big deal since I rarely check.
3) Rarely check
4) CPU not too likely.
5) Agreed with subscription
6) So just having it gives more availability?

Sounds like, for me, the big advantage of having the Explorer is the chance at #4 (not sure how likely, I think I got very lucky this trip) and #6 but I think that's only for economy right?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6) So just having it gives more availability?

# 6 but I think that's only for economy right?
Yes, merely having the card will get you expanded access to economy awards on flights operated by United, same as you would get from being Silver. And, yes, it's only economy.

There's also #7 -- 7 RDMs per dollar spent (per PQD, actually) for a silver vs. 5 for a general member (or a 25% bonus on some partner flights booked on non-016 tickets).
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The CSR is a better earning card than the UA card. Every dollar you spend with UA gets you 3 UR points which transfers to 3 UA miles. With the UA card you only get 2 UA miles for UA spend.

If you can use a service like plastiq (~3% fee) to pay your rent/mortgage on the UA card, then sure go for it. But to divert your normal spend from the CSR to the UA card isn't worth it, IMO.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:58 pm

Paying a 3% fee on other spend probably counters any additional benefit from spending on a higher earning card. IMHO, the %% differences are not high, so the equation (for me anyway) is primarily on whether UA status is worth while.
IMHO UA Gold and above (*G) are worth the diverted spend. UA Silver is not. YMMV.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JHake10
The CSR is a better earning card than the UA card. Every dollar you spend with UA gets you 3 UR points which transfers to 3 UA miles. With the UA card you only get 2 UA miles for UA spend.

If you can use a service like plastiq (~3% fee) to pay your rent/mortgage on the UA card, then sure go for it. But to divert your normal spend from the CSR to the UA card isn't worth it, IMO.
Agreed. I use my Presidential Plus (legacy high-end UA card, analogous to the MP Club Card offered nowadays) on rent...great way to hit the spend limit if you have MP Explorer, but great for me because I get massive amounts of FPQMs from it. I expect that it will help me maintain at least Gold status, even when I have kids down the road (which will be very helpful, so long as E+ at booking doesn't go away!).
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

It seems like my best decision is to get the card, use it for the first $3k to get the 60k miles and access to the expanded Saver award availability alone and use my E+ subscription for Int'l flights and then not use it. The other benefits are nice but not huge for me.

Justin

Justin
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
You need to use the UA card for priority boarding and free bags.
You do not need to use the card for CPUs on awards.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Out of curiosity, how much are you short on PQD to re-qualify for Silver?

If benefits on Silver is worth it to you (e.g. premier access - check-in and security, group 2 boarding; E+ seats upgrade at check-in, if available; non-existent CPU to higher class; 1 free bag check at 50lbs; more miles earning potential), then I would try to book a few flights before the end of the year to qualify PQD.

Assuming qualification for Silver is the goal, I would choose to spend $3,000 in PQD less what you have already earned in PQD this year. It would be a lot less than having to spending $25K to meet PQD waiver via MP CC. Of course, if you are going to spend at $25K before the end of the year anyway, then go get the MP card, but my valuation of UA miles is certainly much less than UR points.

You stated you fly UA a lot, but haven't met the PQD requirement. Are most of UA flights on awards?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Good idea! They are all small trips.

I've spent $1200 including E+ subscription plus another $300 booked or $1500.

I might make another trip that'll be around $400 so $1900 in PQD in total. Nothing else in the pipeline.

I don't want to get/use the Explorer card in 2017 and spend the $25k in 2017. I was going to concede that I won't get it in 2017 for 2018.

My trip to HND is on points.

Another trip was with Lufthansa but not through UA due to the cost difference.

How do you usually use UR?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
How do you usually use UR?
SQ Suites via KrisFlyer
SK J via Mileage Plus
LH F via Aeroplan
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have been using my UR points on its transferring partners - e.g. MR, SQ, BA, and of course UA. These partners also have their own partners, so more possibilities.

Most recently, I transferred some UR points to SPG via MR to top off a week long SPG award stay redemption. On the airline front, I have done a lot of transfers to BA due to good redemption rates for short-haul AA domestic flights. SQ and UA are used for long distance flight redemption, especially when there are good saver awards availability in the *A group (e.g. AC, LH, SQ, UA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.