Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New "Invitation-only" restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Reopening Sept 13, 2022. If you login, reservations are available starting on that date. See below for the login/check access link.

menu for CLASSIFIED

Check if you were invited:
https://classified.united.com/dining/Login
or classified.united.com/dining

Print Wikipost

New "Invitation-only" restaurant "Classified" at EWR. Reopened 13 September 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:21 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The nly thing PANYNJ wants to do about absurd markups is to make sure that they get their cut.
I know that's the stereotype, but after the LGA controversy, prices dropped considerably.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
I know that's the stereotype, but after the LGA controversy, prices dropped considerably.
What is "the LGA controversy"?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by fumje
From $28 for a beer? New York airports crack down on ‘exorbitant’ food and drink:
Under the Port Authority’s latest rules, concession companies must identify “comparable concession locations” outside the airport to prove their prices fit the “street pricing” policy. A chain establishment like Dunkin’, for instance, must be compared with other branches in the metropolitan area.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm pretty sure it's the $27 beer complaints from two years ago. From that article:
After the lengthy investigation, the Port Authority is now setting new pricing standards for all concessions at the three major NYC-area airports (JFK, Newark and LaGuardia). The 35-page policy caps prices for food and drinks at local, off-airport "street prices," plus a maximum surcharge of 10 percent.
Let me tell you about "street prices" for things at airports. They have little to do with fairness and everything to do with ripping off consumers. I complained a while back (when I believe Westfield ran at least some of the stores at EWR) about the high price of a bottle of water being sold at EWR-C. IIRC it was a 24oz bottle of water that was being sold for $9 under a sign that said everything was being sold at street prices.

Westfield got back to me with their justification for the absurd price. Their math was something like this. An 8oz bottle of water "nearby" at the Empire State Building was found to cost $3.00. n a per fluid ounce basis that's 37.5c. A 24oz bottle at that price would therefore be $9. Given these prices and the described PANYNJ policy (which I have not read) -- where the vendor is allowed to add 10%, OTG could charge $9.90 for that 24oz bottle. Sure, that's not as outrageous as a $27 beer, but it's still outrageous and it hardly resembles any sort of local "street prices."
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm pretty sure it's the $27 beer complaints from two years ago. From that article:

Let me tell you about "street prices" for things at airports. They have little to do with fairness and everything to do with ripping off consumers. I complained a while back (when I believe Westfield ran at least some of the stores at EWR) about the high price of a bottle of water being sold at EWR-C. IIRC it was a 24oz bottle of water that was being sold for $9 under a sign that said everything was being sold at street prices.

Westfield got back to me with their justification for the absurd price. Their math was something like this. An 8oz bottle of water "nearby" at the Empire State Building was found to cost $3.00. n a per fluid ounce basis that's 37.5c. A 24oz bottle at that price would therefore be $9. Given these prices and the described PANYNJ policy (which I have not read) -- where the vendor is allowed to add 10%, OTG could charge $9.90 for that 24oz bottle. Sure, that's not as outrageous as a $27 beer, but it's still outrageous and it hardly resembles any sort of local "street prices."
Yeah I'm sceptical there's any substantive crackdown happening beyond changing that one Sam Adams price, as the extremely liberal interpretation of 'street price' in that response you got suggests.

I am curious how you submitted a complaint. Is there a form somewhere? Perhaps I will start doing that for sport during layovers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Yeah I'm sceptical there's any substantive crackdown happening beyond changing that one Sam Adams price, as the extremely liberal interpretation of 'street price' in that response you got suggests.

I am curious how you submitted a complaint. Is there a form somewhere? Perhaps I will start doing that for sport during layovers.
Wesstfield had a custmer comment line. It was on their "street price" ad that was displayed in the terminal.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:49 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by N1120A
And then they slowly crept back up. PANYNJ will let them get away with it as long as they don't make the news again. It seems a bit worse at LGA than at other NY area airports though. Classified is overpriced, but still tolerable given the quality and the ambience.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI - the PANYNJ has a feedback frm here...
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:29 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Dined here two days ago - I am 1K and had to request an invite didn't get one. Any international business traveller with Polaris access should not set foot here. Nor anyone wanting a good, full meal. Prices are high and while the space is quiet the food quality is not great - certainly not superior to the Polaris lounge - and dare I say subpar for a meal that can set you back $150 easily.

Place was empty at 1pm - one other table. Regardless took forever to get a drink (20 minutes for a glass of wine) and food took a good 30 minutes between courses.

This is really not a premium experience either. Ordered a tableside Negroni and got an Old Fashioned. French Onion Soup was lukewarm. Filet Mignon was not tender at all and the "bearnaise" sauce they serve with it tasted more like movie theater popcorn - all for $59. The TV screens and loud music don't scream "exclusive" either. Tip is taken immediately at time of order and you'll never see anyone after that again.

Ultimately the food quality has to be better for these prices - the space and the relative quiet has something going for it. But with two amazing lounges now at EWR there's really zero need to come here. The concept either needs to seriously up the food quality or else it needs to be rethought completely - I wouldn't come back in its current state.
Xyzzy and nexus7556 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by mktozd
Classified is one of my very favorite United Airlines experiences. The service, setting and food are equivalent to an upscale steakhouse or bistro in New York and it’s a very welcome sanctuary from EWR. I took a video of the secret entrance.

Classified - United Airlines

The food is amazing and some very unique and interesting cocktail and drink options. I could not more HIGHLY recommend.
Equivalent to an upscale steakhouse in NYC? You got to be joking.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee
Dined here two days ago - I am 1K and had to request an invite didn't get one. Any international business traveller with Polaris access should not set foot here. Nor anyone wanting a good, full meal. Prices are high and while the space is quiet the food quality is not great - certainly not superior to the Polaris lounge - and dare I say subpar for a meal that can set you back $150 easily.

Place was empty at 1pm - one other table. Regardless took forever to get a drink (20 minutes for a glass of wine) and food took a good 30 minutes between courses.

This is really not a premium experience either. Ordered a tableside Negroni and got an Old Fashioned. French Onion Soup was lukewarm. Filet Mignon was not tender at all and the "bearnaise" sauce they serve with it tasted more like movie theater popcorn - all for $59. The TV screens and loud music don't scream "exclusive" either. Tip is taken immediately at time of order and you'll never see anyone after that again.

Ultimately the food quality has to be better for these prices - the space and the relative quiet has something going for it. But with two amazing lounges now at EWR there's really zero need to come here. The concept either needs to seriously up the food quality or else it needs to be rethought completely - I wouldn't come back in its current state.

Booked Classified for my wife and son in early February, and they both loved it. Guess it's all relative.
(they didn't have Polaris nor UC access)
SPN Lifer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by narvik
Booked Classified for my wife and son in early February, and they both loved it. Guess it's all relative.
(they didn't have Polaris nor UC access)
Now I’m curious… On what basis were your wife and son invited?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Reservation set for my wife an I before a (rare) trip w/o the kids in early april. Will report back.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Now I’m curious… On what basis were your wife and son invited?
Isn't having a flight at EWR enough (for self-invite, at least)?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: UA
Isn't having a flight at EWR enough (for self-invite, at least)?
I'm pretty sure you need some level of status to make a reservation, but I guess you can make the reservation for other people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.