Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: New York City Severe Weather (August 18, 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
Rebook by August 21, 2017.

Waiver: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

David
Attached Images  
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: MPGS, 1MM
What's going on with east coast flights today?

Been sitting at ORD for a DCA flight delayed 4 hours for air traffic control conditions -- all other DCA flights being delayed for the same reason, along with flights to LGA and other east coast locations. And yet AA flights to DCA and LGA are leaving on time or with minor delays. What's going on here?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
On the DL board people reported a LGA groundstop earlier today plus a Washington Center groundstop which affected anyone flying through that airspace. All due to weather.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by smithdb
Been sitting at ORD for a DCA flight delayed 4 hours for air traffic control conditions -- all other DCA flights being delayed for the same reason, along with flights to LGA and other east coast locations. And yet AA flights to DCA and LGA are leaving on time or with minor delays. What's going on here?
There are travel advisories and waivers for several NE airports today on the UA site
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
From the FAA website...

Due to WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport, Boston, MA (BOS). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 14 minutes.
Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 42 minutes
Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 2 hours and 43 minutes
And since you're at ORD...

Due to OTHER / AIR SHOW, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Chicago OHare International Airport, Chicago, IL (ORD)
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... What's going on here?
Your first stop when you see delays is the FAA Delay map

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...18-2017-a.html
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
And earlier, there were issues with routes through ZBW:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 8.39.30 AM.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  388.9 KB

ETA: Now it just shows ground stops for PHL and ORD:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 11.40.20 AM.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  474.1 KB
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I just got home 15 minutes ago, flew from IAD-CHS
FA said we had 23 misconnects 10 from PHL and 13 from EWR who missed the plane to CHS

Follow on flight from CHS-IAD was delayed 1 hour before we even landed due to storms in/around Dulles
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Flew out of EWR this morning (on AA). We were delayed pushing back because of EWR being EWR, but then there was a short ground stop right after we pushed back. Captain said he thought we were going to sit for an hour, but it only ended up being ~10 minutes. Everyone on the plane was freaking out because almost every person was connecting at CLT.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So far no additional airports added to waiver.

However if you are flying around that region, things are getting challenging - see UA511's flight path today.

David
Attached Images  
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: MPGS, 1MM
I certainly appreciate everyone's comments on the weather, ground stops, etc. That said -- and obviously every airline runs its business and utilizes its resources differently -- its odd that every American flight ORD-DCA today has departed, most arriving DCA less than 30 minutes late, while no UA flight since the 10am has departed (even though many of the planes have been sitting at gates at ORD most of the day).
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...-- and obviously every airline runs its business and utilizes its resources differently -- ....
There is also the issue of resource availability -- aircraft and crews -- which impact airlines in different ways due to different hub structure and different domiciles.

Last week there were different weather issues and folks on AA forum were asking why UA was flying but AA wasn't.

The operations planners are attempting to optimize the system and not a particular route. And in some cases given the resources availability it leads to these anomalies (but if we are the anomaly, we care). For the year UA's operational performance is significantly better the AA's (which has been among the worst for the majors for some time).

UPDATE: IAD, DCA and BWI are now experience gate holds and significant delays per FAA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 2017 at 4:06 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:51 am

Observations from the evening at EWR as a line of storms rolled through around 6pm.

I was on the 815pm EWR-SFO which had an inbound that was due in around 7:15 (was worried that would divert).

Interestung enough they zeroed out the flight for revenue sales and blocked about 8 seats in business the day before when the waiver was announced. It had been a wide open flight that was R9 last weekend and lots of empty economy seats. Wonder if they did that to leave room for misconnects.

The 7:45pm departure had an inbound on the ground before the storm hit.

So I switched to that.

Went mechanical with 25 min delay just before departure but flights were just starting to take off after an hour ground stop.

Ended up needing a new aircraft and took a 4 hour delay.

Original 8:15 left only about 45 min late.

Lesson learned there.

UA wise they now text you your boarding pass is a $10 food voucher and make announcements in the concourse with the special rebooking hotline.

UA C90 club is now 1/3 under construction.

Gate areas were not the refugee camp feel you usually see with this sort of night.

People kept well informed, a lot more flights got out than I remember from past situations like this, and I guess lots of plugs at the OTG style gates keeps people occupied.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Original 8:15 left only about 45 min late.

Lesson learned there.
That you can be too aggressive / forward leaning in trying to adjust to schedule and IRROPS situations?

I suspect that most FT elites would have jumped and made the same decision ("Bird in hand" is my view).

Were both A/C 752's?

David
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by DELee
That you can be too aggressive / forward leaning in trying to adjust to schedule and IRROPS situations?

I suspect that most FT elites would have jumped and made the same decision ("Bird in hand" is my view).

Were both A/C 752's?

David
They were all 28 J 757s. It was late evening so guess all the 16J were headed to Europe.

My lesson was how much more precise approaches are with the Nextgen ATC systems - what I used to think were clear no land / diverts are sneaking in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.