FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Waiver: New York City Severe Weather (August 18, 2017)
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:51 am
cerealmarketer

Observations from the evening at EWR as a line of storms rolled through around 6pm.

I was on the 815pm EWR-SFO which had an inbound that was due in around 7:15 (was worried that would divert).

Interestung enough they zeroed out the flight for revenue sales and blocked about 8 seats in business the day before when the waiver was announced. It had been a wide open flight that was R9 last weekend and lots of empty economy seats. Wonder if they did that to leave room for misconnects.

The 7:45pm departure had an inbound on the ground before the storm hit.

So I switched to that.

Went mechanical with 25 min delay just before departure but flights were just starting to take off after an hour ground stop.

Ended up needing a new aircraft and took a 4 hour delay.

Original 8:15 left only about 45 min late.

Lesson learned there.

UA wise they now text you your boarding pass is a $10 food voucher and make announcements in the concourse with the special rebooking hotline.

UA C90 club is now 1/3 under construction.

Gate areas were not the refugee camp feel you usually see with this sort of night.

People kept well informed, a lot more flights got out than I remember from past situations like this, and I guess lots of plugs at the OTG style gates keeps people occupied.