Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PSA- If you find business saver space, book it!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PSA- If you find business saver space, book it!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sure about that? -- it has not been reported before.
Thought this was just Plat or higher benefit
So did I, although it's rarely an issue since IN is so rarely > I.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
[JN] is part of the last seat guarantee
So, I couldn't remember if the last seat guarantee applied to J or not; I thought it was economy only. So I tried to look it up. I wasn't able to find any mention of the expanded award availability at all at http://www.chase.com/united or http://www.theexplorercard.com . Now, I'm sure they're not killing the program -- they wouldn't have added the "expanded award availability" message on the search results if they were. But I'm puzzled.

Anyway, this last bit is probably better suited for the Chase thread.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IN is definitely not for Chase Cardmembers; I don't think JN is either, but not 100% certain.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
If you're suggesting that UA's IT system records individual award searches, then causes those specific awards to become unavailable to specific customers before they're booked in some nefarious plot to sow frustration and keep miles from being redeemed ... no. That is a myth.
The though of UA having enough technical competence to do this... lol

Note however that award space doesn't only disappear because of bookings though. RM will open and close it, sometimes for only a few hours, just to observe what happens.

Originally Posted by jsloan
So, I couldn't remember if the last seat guarantee applied to J or not; I thought it was economy only. So I tried to look it up. I wasn't able to find any mention of the expanded award availability at all at http://www.chase.com/united or http://www.theexplorercard.com . Now, I'm sure they're not killing the program -- they wouldn't have added the "expanded award availability" message on the search results if they were. But I'm puzzled.
Interesting. As of recently, it was definitely that IN is not for cardmembers, but that JN was. Pretty sure it was intended to be part of the "last seat guarantee" benefit, but also it was definitely the case because the hidden XN benefit was primarily because they couldn't manage to add another tier to award availability so it shared it with the Premier (Silver) level. Maybe they're killing the benefit because of Everyday Awards?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I have been checking lately (flexible dates/non-peak travel periods/1 pax) and IMO MP international business saver availability looks horrific if you see flights that work for you book it fast. 24 hours to cancel gratis and the >60 day cancel fee is relatively nominal for elites.

SL
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I can sympathize. Saver awards in business class to NZ/Aust. are like unicorns and I could never find any a decade ago. I'm sure it has not gotten any better though at least there are a few more flights on the menu and no more unreliable 747s.

If I've learned anything from 17 years on FT it is that you definitely have to jump immediately on mistake fares, fare matches and award seats
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's replies!

I would agree with the sentiment that even small swings in purchases can cause huge swings in availability, RM probably has short and long term goals with how they manage that inventory. There's still some decent routings via Asia at the 80k level.

Ironically when looking at close in bookings there's actually a lot of saver availability over the next 2 weeks (as one might expect of course). Some still looks open about two months out as well. I'll take everyone's advice to constantly keep looking!

I do believe that IN is saver availability for MP cardholders as well, which perhaps would explain the +1 on the inventory. Our meager rewards
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
IN is not for cardholders, but JN is. I wrote about the full breakdown for who can access each class in a post on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/all-a...were-promised/
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
IN is not for cardholders, but JN is. I wrote about the full breakdown for who can access each class in a post on my blog:
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/all-a...were-promised/
As a cardholder I can confirm no access to IN but JN is available to me when logged in.

ETA: And, of course, cardholders also have access to XN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.