Wiki Posts
Search

Do UA update fares for new partners?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Do UA update fares for new partners?

Looking at a trip down to Brazil in the Autumn, to Iguasu Falls to finish off my flying for this year, and have come across a small issue. (Route LHR-IAH-GIG-IGU and return)

When trying to find flights to IGU the V fare base I am trying to use (VL4NCWL) will only offer connections from GRU primarily on Gol. It will offer connections from GIG on Avianca, which would be my first choice as a full a* partner, but re-fares to Y for the whole trip.

Looking at the fare rules, it seems that travel on Avianca is allowed between the US and Brazil, but in Brazil, travel must be on Tam, Gol or Azul, which seems odd now that Avianca is in the Star Alliance, and Tam and Gol aren't.

I can book separately for GIG to IGU on ua.com for about £110 return. Will UA issue an end on end combination or would it have to be two tseparate PNR's with the potential problems that creates with connections etc.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richym99
Looking at a trip down to Brazil in the Autumn, to Iguasu Falls to finish off my flying for this year, and have come across a small issue. (Route LHR-IAH-GIG-IGU and return)

When trying to find flights to IGU the V fare base I am trying to use (VL4NCWL) will only offer connections from GRU primarily on Gol. It will offer connections from GIG on Avianca, which would be my first choice as a full a* partner, but re-fares to Y for the whole trip.

Looking at the fare rules, it seems that travel on Avianca is allowed between the US and Brazil, but in Brazil, travel must be on Tam, Gol or Azul, which seems odd now that Avianca is in the Star Alliance, and Tam and Gol aren't.

I can book separately for GIG to IGU on ua.com for about £110 return. Will UA issue an end on end combination or would it have to be two tseparate PNR's with the potential problems that creates with connections etc.
UA will not automatically re-publish routings due to the addition of new partners. There are plenty of examples where their through fares include non-*A airlines even though *A options exist; for example, fares to BKK will often allow the use of Cathay Pacific but not Thai Airways.

They actually allow routing on Avianca Brazil (O6) in the routing rules, but not in the fare rules. It's fairly common for those not to match, unfortunately, and it doesn't help you.

You're not going to be able to book the V fare end-on-end with Avianca:

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMBINATIONS.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER UA/AC WITHIN AREA 1.
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER UA/LH/LX/OS/SN/AC
WITHIN AREA 2
OR FOR CARRIER UA/LH/LX/OS/SN/AC BETWEEN AREA 2
AND AREA 3.
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER UA/NH IN ANY RULE
FOR TRAVEL VIA THE PACIFIC.
Now, this refers to fares, not flights -- so, if UA or AC were to offer a fare from GIG to GRU, you'd be able to combine with it. Neither does.

Sorry, but it looks like you'll need to go non-*A for the last leg or purchase separate tickets, assuming you don't want to pay full Y.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Thanks for the clarification.

Guess I will have to take a risk on the three hour connection at GIG, although I know it generally won't be an issue.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
According to United's website, flights on Azul earn PQMs and redeemable miles (and a 100% bonus for 1K members if not ticketed through United).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.