Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice For LAX to HKG in Business Using Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice For LAX to HKG in Business Using Points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I see BR for end of Dec. Maybe wait a week or so ?
While BR TPAC is a fantastic product, they operate a variety of aircraft between HKG and TPE, some of which are not lie-flat. If lie-flat all the way is a priority, OP needs to make sure to choose a flight with Royal Laurel service (any of the 777s).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

OK so I read about how terrible CA is and how they cancel confirmed flights ugh...not a fan. But taking out PEK as a connection leaves me with just 2 choices at the 80k saver level...I also have to arrive in HKG for a wedding on Jan 5th so that also is constraining...decisions decisions

@jsloan
Wow flying Swiss back seems like an adventure all it's own! 32h flight time!

@Hipplewm
Will do...i'm getting ahead of this early so I don't mess up my booking but will post what I'd like when I find it. Taking out PEK as a connection really limits the choices though...argh
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
OP, another option, if you have the time and are willing to book a separate ticket LAX/SFO and get to SFO in plenty of time, best day before, is to look at SFO/HKG. This will open up some BR flights, and also TPAC where UA is the carrier to PEK and CA only has the PEK/HKG leg.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
While BR TPAC is a fantastic product, they operate a variety of aircraft between HKG and TPE, some of which are not lie-flat. If lie-flat all the way is a priority, OP needs to make sure to choose a flight with Royal Laurel service (any of the 777s).
OP shouldn't lose sight of short the second leg may be. In the case of EVA through TPE, I think most would be okay with non lie flat for the 1hr 50min TPE-HKG flight.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jmanirish
OP shouldn't lose sight of short the second leg may be. In the case of EVA through TPE, I think most would be okay with non lie flat for the 1hr 50min TPE-HKG flight.
Absolutely. Especially since angle flat or recliners are really the norm on intra-Asia regional routes.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
Wow flying Swiss back seems like an adventure all it's own! 32h flight time!
I would recommend it, if you have the time.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and advice! I'm going to keep reviewing the United website to see what options pop up and will update this thread when I get closer to booking. Thanks so much!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I did check 1/3, and if you are willing to do the LAX-SFO hop, there is J availability on BR from SFO-TPE.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
I do the LAX - HKG route often, and it's always on BR from LAX - TPE - HKG.

It's a great product and the service is amazing.

I did the OZ in first and that was fine too, but BR always wins me over.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

What I Ended Up Booking

Hi Folks! Firstly, thanks to all who originally replied to this thread! It helped me get my head wrapped around the right routes and options for my flight - so thanks! Long story short, I almost didn't go on this trip due to a conflict but that resolved itself in late November 2017 so I ended up scrambling for a flight out...this didn't leave me with many options as I did when I first started looking! Here's what I ended up booking:

LAX -> ICN on Asiana Business Class
ICN -> HKG on Thai Airways Business Class

On the return:

HKG -> ICN on Asiana Business Class
ICN -> LAX on Asiana First Class

Total Points and Fees: 230,000 miles + $82.16

I'm not sure if this was an efficient use of points, but given the limited availability at the time of booking this was all that was available at the Saver prices. Overall, this trip turned out great for me! South Korea airport was pretty efficient, nice and calm. I had a long layover in S Korea during my trip over to Hong Kong but I have a Priority Pass via Chase so I was able to check out all the lounges in the area! The First class upgrade on the leg back really made the flying experience a different and truly memorable one. My friends asked me how it was and I have to say I don't think I can ever go back to coach on international flights, but I also can't afford to fly business/first again - so this maybe I stop flying international altogether! lol Thanks again all!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SVG_A5
The First class upgrade on the leg back really made the flying experience a different and truly memorable one.
Then it was a good use of miles. 3-cabin F is by the far the most "efficient" use on a compared-to-revenue-ticket basis, and if you feel like you got value from it, then it's a great deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.