Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To the non-rev in row 4.....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
To the non-rev in row 4.....

MBJ-EWR. I believe your employer has guidelines on how to act and general behavior for "free" employee travel.

Not sure where another thread may be that this would fit, but looking for some guidance.

MBJ-EWR was nonrev express today. Family of four led by father (2 preteen kids, wife) barrels through (not around) my family to get to zone 1 boarding. Hmmm. Ok.

Then the agent starts a gentle discussion on his 1-3 pieces per person carrying and 2-WAY oversized garment bag. She asked him (kindly) to put it in the sizer. His response is "I'm just too (word for a structure to hold a river back) tired to think of this. You didn't have room on the earlier flight, and my bag is going with me. I work for United and can take it if I want!!!"

When I got to the agent I apologized for one of my country's citizens actions. She apologized to me for her co-workers actions!!!!

So...thinking of writing 1K. Do they ever tell the employee "chill out"? Or am I wasting my time and they don't care?

Last edited by PhillyPhlyer40; Jul 7, 2017 at 2:35 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Crikey!
If you found the behavior of a nonrev pax to be obnoxious and disturbing, I think that the company should hear about it.

And from what you wrote, I would have found that behavior obnoxious and disturbing, too. It is most unprofessional.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
A note can't hurt - but obviously someone who has that attitude will never take the critique well. Assume he is also not a customer-facing employee (not a GA, FA, pilot).
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
You should definitely write. UA has strict policy for non rev and want to know. They can track that employee down if you give date and flight number. They do want to know.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Some non-revs don't think they have to follow rules dictated to regular passengers. Pre-merger I was flying CO to Europe from IAH (I think) one time and the husband/boyfriend of an on-duty FA decided he didn't need to turn off his device like everyone else had to (regulation at the time). Had his bag at his feet in BF and wife/GF, who was working the cabin didn't make him stow stuff. I wasn't sitting next to him and he was in window seat. If I was sitting at the window and he had aisle, I would've spoken up about his bag.

Still, most of the non-revs I've noticed conform to what's expected as employees and passengers and deserve credit. A few bad apples...
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
My bet is that these were NOT front line employees. Front line employees tend to know how not to be a DYKWIA when non-rev'ing.

If it bothered you, then sure, write a note to 1kvoice. Keep it short and simple.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Definitely report it. Keep it short and simple but with detailed info on flight number, date, seat #, etc. That way UA can track the bozo down.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Devil's advocate: How does the OP know that the flyer in question was a non-rev? They work for United and definitely should behave better (or at minimum not advertise their employer) but we know nothing about rev vs non-rev status.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I flew last week Sat IAH to LAX departing around 550pm.

Boarding w/ Group 2, I have entered the gangway - once close to the plane, the captain told a dead head FO in uniform 'to leave the gate and take another flight as you are [vulgarity deleted] rude'.

Reply was 'I am also United why should I leave and I am not rude' but he left towards the gate after a minute with a red head - so no idea what happened but United guys don't seem to be a happy family at the moment

D

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 8, 2017 at 5:54 am Reason: symbols to mask vulgarity rule 16
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Non-revs are zone 3 and never zone 1 boarding, so if he was zone 1, he was probably travelling on a revenue ticket [for Y].

EDIT: did not see it was in F, scratch that.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Report this to UA. They could have been buddy pass riders.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Please do. Even on other airlines this makes us look like fools. They're is a set of decorum that nonrev passengers should try to stay in line with. Whether or not they're actually travelling as a conf. or NRSA and as an employee it is their job to properly represent the airline regardless of the circumstance. This being no acception. No one is above the law, especially us.

Also, you can easily tell, look at the name on the BP and then up at the screens overhead or by seeing in all caps NRSA at the tops of our BPs (it'll be clearly visible even on our seat assignments). This still doesn't matter though anyways as this person's behaviour was far from acceptable.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by swgsword
Non-revs are zone 3 and never zone 1 boarding, so if he was zone 1, he was probably travelling on a revenue ticket [for Y].

EDIT: did not see it was in F, scratch that.
Really? At least on DL, its entirely dynamic and like everyone else.

F = PREM
C+ = Sky
EXIT (And when GAs are feeling generous) = 1
Y = 2

Guess it's interesting to see how other operations work.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My hunch: IAH FO

just sayin...
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My hunch: IAH FO

just sayin...
That was my first thought, as well . . .

JK-SFO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.