Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To the non-rev in row 4.....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
I can always tell who non-revs are (besides the obvious hanging at the gate until the last minute). Unfortunately, it's usually a loud, obnoxious behavior coupled with "borderline" dress code - excluding, of course, the more senior people who know better. NOBODY is traveling on my passes if I have even a thought that they will act up or are unable to even fake some sort of quiet and modest demeanor.
Save for my one experience flying GUMHNL, in over 15+ years of non-revving and more commonly as a paid passenger, I can't think of any time where I actually noticed anyone being loud or obnoxious. The GUMHNL flight was the exception but then again the operation in GUM is interesting and let's just say I quickly put an end to shenanigans when I noticed a GA not clearing the list in order.

In the early days I would wear my badge and chat with the crew. Then I encountered some overzealous FA's who seemed to have an issue with nonrevs in general; assuming I worked for Express and going off on me for no particular reason other than just having an attitude....then the look of horror when they actually looked at the manifest saw my boarding priority and then realized I worked in HQS.

Of course nowadays I have the lowest boarding priority and often find the treatment much better---go figure. However, I don't volunteer that I am a non-rev and quite specifically I apply the same behavior whether I am non-revving or on a paid ticket----always thank the FA, don't act like I own the place, and comply with all instructions.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I sat across from some super obnoxious non-revs in E+ on NRT-IAD a couple of years ago. How did I know who they were? The FAs moved paying pax so this couple could have their own row in E+. Then they spent the whole 16 hours with one or another of their FA friends who were working the flight (and ignoring pax) standing in the aisle gabbing about work. These guys had every food and beverage item from J brought back to them, but it was pulling teeth to get a refill on my water with no ice.

Setting aside the obnoxious non-rev behavior, it was absolutely the rudest crew I have had on any airline in any class of service. I wrote to UA (specifically included the behavior of the non-revs) and got a canned sorry-if-you-were-disappointed response. So, don't expect much. Next time I doubt I would bother writing in.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I fly Non-Rev on AA (As a Registered Companion on my Aunts benefits who is a retiree) and for the most part, the other non-revs I see are pretty well behaved. Occasionally I'll see a buddy pass rider who hasn't been fully informed of all the "rules" by the sponsoring employee but I haven't seen anything outrageous.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Definitely send an email. I am tired of this behaviour and the seat poaching that they seem to think is acceptable.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
The dress code(s) were relaxed to pmCO standards circa 2011. Jeans in intl. premium cabins became ok. I'm neutral about it.
It was relaxed before then.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by tuolumne
The dress code(s) were relaxed to pmCO standards circa 2011. Jeans in intl. premium cabins became ok. I'm neutral about it.
.....I'm just curious what would be the negative part of neutral for this?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by CALMSP
.....I'm just curious what would be the negative part of neutral for this?
Some people think jeans are inappropriate attire for air travel.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mtftw
Some people think jeans are inappropriate attire for air travel.
Tell that to someone like me who has no qualms wears sweats in first/business.

That being said, I do often get scrutinized by agents when checking in at the Premier area / Business area in sweatpants. They ask if I'm Premier / Business and when I say yes, they ask again, and again.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

That being said, I do often get scrutinized by agents when checking in at the Premier area / Business area in sweatpants. They ask if I'm Premier / Business and when I say yes, they ask again, and again.
Exactly. I will wear whatever I want. If someone is offended by my (comfortable) slobby-ness, that's their problem, not mine.
ajGoes, IndyHoosier and AugustusM like this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

The theory on the non-rev dress code is that they are representing the company, so should look respectable.

Isn't there a code of conduct for non-revs and buddy passes?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Did the OP hear back from United?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Count me as a dinosaur, but I miss the olden days of dressing up to fly. While I don't mind people wearing neat jeans and a shirt with a collar -- and my usual attire is only khakis and a button-down shirt. I do find the shorts/tank top/tee shirt printed with an insolent phrase/holey jeans crowd to be a bit disrespectful. Wear a suit on the plane once in a while (I do). I think you will be surprised how much it makes you feel respected --which then usually equates to comfortable.

While I recognize that the view of many is that "I paid my money, I'll wear what I want," part of the romance of travel is making it an occasion, as opposed to just transportation.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by tods27
The theory on the non-rev dress code is that they are representing the company, so should look respectable.

Isn't there a code of conduct for non-revs and buddy passes?
Yes there is. It's basically just making sure you look a little formal while in casual wear. Essentially just don't look like a homeboy and you're fine.

Usually I'll wear a gray light jacket unzipped over a usually black shirt with mesh sweatpants.

For some reason though, I'm more embarrassed if I have to carry a backpack around than if I look slightly out of it (sorry, I try. But after sometimes having as many as 4-5 flights in a day to get home with at least a few bumps -it wears on you)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Devil's advocate: How does the OP know that the flyer in question was a non-rev?
OP claimed the DYKWIA non-rev pointed out his employment with UA.

Also - in general - when a person appears on both standby and upgrade list (with low priority), it is a reliable indicator that the person is a non-rev.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
The GUMHNL flight was the exception but then again the operation in GUM is interesting and let's just say I quickly put an end to shenanigans when I noticed a GA not clearing the list in order.
The operation of GUM-HNL is indeed interesting in many levels.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
Count me as a dinosaur, but I miss the olden days of dressing up to fly. While I don't mind people wearing neat jeans and a shirt with a collar -- and my usual attire is only khakis and a button-down shirt. I do find the shorts/tank top/tee shirt printed with an insolent phrase/holey jeans crowd to be a bit disrespectful. Wear a suit on the plane once in a while (I do). I think you will be surprised how much it makes you feel respected --which then usually equates to comfortable.

While I recognize that the view of many is that "I paid my money, I'll wear what I want," part of the romance of travel is making it an occasion, as opposed to just transportation.
Disrespectful? To whom?? And who are the people respecting me more for dressing up? Complete and total strangers. Sorry, I'm snarky. But I honestly don't get it (and I am not young).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.