Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
And at 50k - the new price - it is far from unreasonable. The "shock" of a 25% increase can be tempered by the fact that it isn't actually that many miles.
50k is the new price for C, not F!

Like the C increase from 30k to 50k, the F increase (to 65k) is well over 60%.
One of the few routes for which UA miles were better value that AA is totally blowing out to make AA's value far superior.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by adambrau
Is there evidence that saver awards 3-1 day out will be less numerous, if we follow AA or DL? I know not everyone can risk this but that is when saver availability has been greatest.
What AA and DL did when doing this kind of change doesn't inspire confidence that UA's move is going to be good for mileage-using customers in the main when it comes to general members using miles for flights within 24-72-hours.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by wco81
So this is for bookings made after November 1 right, not for flights after that date?

Everyone is going to try to book next year's award tickets in the next 4 months ...
My understanding: if you book a ticket before November 1, and change it after November 1, it then becomes subject to the new program rules. This is a change in policy from previous MP program change transitions.

SL
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Since Hawaii rewards have pretty much vanished in F; standard being 90k and going to 95 for "everyday" could have been worse.

That said, AA is 67,500 for most days on their anytime awards up to 90. Looks like one area where AA wins. 67.5 is a far cry from 95.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SunLover
My understanding: if you book a ticket before November 1, and change it after November 1, it then becomes subject to the new program rules. This is a change in policy from previous MP program change transitions.

SL
That's a bummer to hear - so basically awards through send of September and then after that we'll have to hope for a nice agent or be stuck with the higher prices
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Everyone's goals for planning award travel with Mileage Plus seem to be quite varied. The announced changes might be of no impact, or big impact. For me, 180K Mileage Plus points for a RT business class ticket on partner airlines from LAX to SE Asia will be a deal-breaker. There are several competitors that require fewer miles for such a trip, including some Star Alliance partners. For my travel aspirations, I will look to bank or transfer miles elsewhere in the future.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by conde
Everyone's goals for planning award travel with Mileage Plus seem to be quite varied. The announced changes might be of no impact, or big impact. For me, 180K Mileage Plus points for a RT business class ticket on partner airlines from LAX to SE Asia will be a deal-breaker. There are several competitors that require fewer miles for such a trip, including some Star Alliance partners. For my travel aspirations, I will look to bank or transfer miles elsewhere in the future.
The changes announced are designed by UA to take more miles from UA customers while giving UA customers less in return for each mile redeemed. Making customers into bigger losers is certainly the aggregate result being sought by UA with these changes.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 2MM
All of this is why I use my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. I hold all my miles with Chase, then transfer them to whatever airlines has best points redemption at the time. I can also still get F class Singapore Air, which we cannot get at all thru United at any award price.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
When American made a similar change a few years ago to dynamic standard awards I figured it would be a minimal change as I never redeemed standard awards anyway.

Wow, was I ever wrong. As others have pointed out, AA saver award availability was massively reduced. It was enough to make me bail on AA even though I'm less than 50,000 miles away from Lifetime Platinum.

Only time will tell how UA proceeds with this.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by schriste
When American made a similar change a few years ago to dynamic standard awards I figured it would be a minimal change as I never redeemed standard awards anyway.

Wow, was I ever wrong. As others have pointed out, AA saver award availability was massively reduced. It was enough to make me bail on AA even though I'm less than 50,000 miles away from Lifetime Platinum.

Only time will tell how UA proceeds with this.
Time already tells us how UA will proceed with this. It will follow in the footsteps of DL and AA in gutting the value that customers in the main get from using UA miles for mileage tickets.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The changes announced are designed by UA to take more miles from UA customers while giving UA customers less in return for each mile redeemed. Making customers into bigger losers is certainly the aggregate result being sought by UA with these changes.
And yet there are people who claim this is no big deal.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Time already tells us how UA will proceed with this. It will follow in the footsteps of DL and AA in gutting the value that customers in the main get from using UA miles for mileage tickets.
I agree but don't you think it's a lot less painful than the gutting of AA/DL programs so far? For example if AA charged 10k extra to have no YQ on partner BA J awards to Europe (like UA), I'd have burned a lot more AA miles lately.

Also, I think it's no mistake that UA says there will be a chart for Everyday awards.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Just because UA still doesn't charge YQ on any UA-issued mileage tickets is an advantage of sorts, but that's just like saying it's better that the mafia enforcer just used a knife to stab an extortion target in one thigh now instead of both thighs at the same time. It's still not good.

Originally Posted by halls120
{C}ustomers are in line to again get hit by that which is designed in the aggregate to take more miles from customers while giving less in return for each mile redeemed. The number of UA miles required per mile flown using UA mileage tickets is slated for another increase at the customers' expense.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:17 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by halls120
There's also context to take into account. No one likes devaluations, but compared to other devaluations we've seen and experienced, this doesn't seem so bad. Kinda like scraping your knee is no big deal compared to breaking your leg!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zymm
There's also context to take into account. No one likes devaluations, but compared to other devaluations we've seen and experienced, this doesn't seem so bad. Kinda like scraping your knee is no big deal compared to breaking your leg!
The context to take into account is that the announced changes are not announced to disclose the full extent of the pain the airline intends to inflict on its customers using miles for mileage tickets.

It's "nice" that they tell us that in X months they will only stab us once in a thigh. What they haven't highlighted is that these changes are part of a strategy to get at stabbing customers in the thigh more than just once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.