Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:28 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by 5khours
"[we] are also introducing an updated Saver Award chart for tickets booked on or after November 1, 2017. You’ll notice that some routes will have pricing changes, including lower prices for most short-haul intra-region Economy awards for regions outside of the U.S., such as flights within Europe."

In my book, if you deliberately omit important information in order to mislead your customer, that is dishonest. If you deliberately mis-characterize a price increase as an "update," it's a lie. If you think, your customers are so dumb that they won't see through this transparent perfidy, it's arrogant. If you think lying to your customers in an arrogant manner won't affect your business, you're just a total dim-witted moron.

And yes.. UA used to be more straightforward than the other carriers... but not anymore. I hate doing business with liars.
{T}his is a free market, I suggest you find another carrier to fly. Frequent flyer programs are marketing tools and nothing more, UA will adjust their program to compete with other carriers and it’s purely business. If you think UA owes any of us program consistency you are mistaken, it’s about customer retention and minimizing cost, again marketing. The airline industry is cut-throat with tiny margins, it’s a game of survival. UA is only being smart and channeling their customer investments where they think they will get the greatest ROI.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 7, 2017 at 12:01 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
{T}his is a free market, I suggest you find another carrier to fly. Frequent flyer programs are marketing tools and nothing more, UA will adjust their program to compete with other carriers and it’s purely business. If you think UA owes any of us program consistency you are mistaken, it’s about customer retention and minimizing cost, again marketing. The airline industry is cut-throat with tiny margins, it’s a game of survival. UA is only being smart and channeling their customer investments where they think they will get the greatest ROI.
This is also a cyclical business. When the next down turn comes, these people who leave now would have been very useful. They are in a high fixed cost business. They need a lot of these frequent flyers. Some of us did find another career(s) due to UA management tone deafness and lack of customer service. Wait five years and see how UA makes it without change in service or attitude. I believe it is time to #LiquidateUnited

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 7, 2017 at 12:02 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Does anyone think UA will honor the redemption rates for bookings made before Nov. 1st? Trying to debate between a OZ F and KE J/F (via UR and SPG transfer) award booking during Christmas vacation, but would be great to change the OZ F routing to LH or NH F.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Does anyone think UA will honor the redemption rates for bookings made before Nov. 1st? Trying to debate between a OZ F and KE J/F (via UR and SPG transfer) award booking during Christmas vacation, but would be great to change the OZ F routing to LH or NH F.
They did after previous devaluation. I myself did two booked trips without need for additional mileage.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
{T}his is a free market, I suggest you find another carrier to fly.
It’s not really a “free” market. It’s a heavily regulated and subsidized market with high entry cost and minimal competition on many routes.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
MP email: Changes to Awards Program from Nov 1

Received an email today from UA MP of changes to the flight awards program http://mileageplusupdates.com/?utm_m...327ea5a23c3807 announcing a number of significant changes to flight awards program and award flight miles required from Nov 1. Business class saver awards from Oz to USA and Europe return increased by 20,000 miles which is quite a devaluation in the MP program. Perhaps I missed this in previous posts but is a major shift in the awards program that I was unaware of until today's email from MP. After 28 years of loyalty and enjoying the benefits of my flying days with UA, particularly before the merger, I am now a free range flyer and discovered the true essence of quality service and product that UA sadly cannot emulate. The MP program is now becoming as uncompetitive and irrelevant as the airline.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Any real-world experience here about whether waitlisted I or O awards that clear are considered a change in the reservation requiring a change fee?

I'm referring to post October 2016 bookings. I know from experience that my pre October 2016 booking did not have a change fee when an alternate flight in O opened up.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 747FC
Any real-world experience here about whether waitlisted I or O awards that clear are considered a change in the reservation requiring a change fee?

I'm referring to post October 2016 bookings. I know from experience that my pre October 2016 booking did not have a change fee when an alternate flight in O opened up.
I just had my kids clear on a waitlist IN award a few weeks ago. I had to call in as the accept the change doesn't work. They have to reissue tickets.

Initially the agent said I had to pay a change fee, then realized the miles came froma 1K account, so he said it was waived. i had no clue they would charge a change fee for that, but i guess they do.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Book award ticket now or wait until Nov 1st?

There there will be upcoming 'enhancements' in MP program, as we know. I want to book award ticket in Y SEA-SFO-SIN-SFO-RNO.

Because it is in Economy, that 80K miles return and usually it should not be a problem in terms of seats. Question is - what are chances that after Nov 1st there will be less miles required on this route?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I thought UA made the new pricing public, though I can't find it on their general award page...probably on the Hub. But according to this post, https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/ - US-S. Asia will remain the same in economy. The difference will be if there are no saver awards avaialble, and then you'll be subject to the new 'everyday' award type vs. standard - that will have a ceiling, but could be somewhere between the saver rate and that ceiling.

I would also not assume availability will remain (on any route), you never know when it might go, so if you know your dates, I would go ahead and book it now. Always better to book earlier.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Do you have any type of UA status? Many of us will book and if the prices drop, refund/reticket.

If you don't have any status, then consider booking Oct 31 before the changes are implemented?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I thought UA made the new pricing public, though I can't find it on their general award page...probably on the Hub. But according to this post, https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/ - US-S. Asia will remain the same in economy. The difference will be if there are no saver awards avaialble, and then you'll be subject to the new 'everyday' award type vs. standard - that will have a ceiling, but could be somewhere between the saver rate and that ceiling.

I would also not assume availability will remain (on any route), you never know when it might go, so if you know your dates, I would go ahead and book it now. Always better to book earlier.
The award chart IS the ceiling so theoretically any day there isn't a saver award could have some sort of reduced pricing below the charted 80K

If you have status that allows free cancellations and redeposit of award tix, can't hurt to book now.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by invisible
Question is - what are chances that after Nov 1st there will be less miles required on this route?
Zero, assuming you're getting it at the saver rate which 80k return would be.
Originally Posted by invisible
usually it should not be a problem in terms of seats
This is a terrible assumption to make.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'm thinking of booking an award to South Asia in J before the price increase. UA seems to have plenty of availability on NH or BR but not on its own metal.

So would be saving 20k for a round trip instead of redeeming after Nov 1 2017.

Also weighing this redemption vs. redeeming a J TATL award, which doesn't increase much in price to Europe. And not at all for *A partner redemptions.

You would think there might be a rush of J saver award redemptions to Asia and Australia or NZ before the award chart change?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wco81
You would think there might be a rush of J saver award redemptions to Asia and Australia or NZ before the award chart change?
No, I wouldn't.

Most folks don't care about long-haul premium travel; that's not their target redemption. Of the very, very small subset that does want that, not all pay so much attention to the program changes.

FlyerTalk is a horrible sample set to consider representative of the overall traveling public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.