Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United flight - where to find historical flight stats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

My parents very recently became aware of EC Regulation 261/2004 and remembered a flight from October 29 2015 between Amsterdam and the USA that was cancelled. I am trying to help them to figure out if they would be entitled to a refund (possible up to E1200 for the 2 of them combined from what I understand).

First, I am trying to collect historical flight data, which is quite cumbersome. Could you advise on where to find this, please?

The flight in question that was delayed and ultimately cancelled (my parents were initially asked to fly a day later with UA but ended up being re-booked on a flight with a different company the same day since my mom is oxygen-dependent and very stressed with the changes in flights):

Thu, 29OCT15 UA947
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
(AMS) 11:00 AM
WASHINGTON, DC
(IAD - DULLES) 3:05 PM

Thu, 29OCT15 UA400
WASHINGTON, DC
(IAD - DULLES) 5:32 PM
RALEIGH/DURHAM, NC
(RDU) 6:47 PM 737-800

I submitted the information to some European websites that might be able to assist in such a claim but the case was denied since the flight date was more than 18 months ago, and the deadline for such claims is 2 years for citizens in The Netherlands.

Any advice you may have in companies or individuals who would be able to help, or how I could possibly approach United Airlines myself would b emuch appreciated. My concern is that such claims could take a significant amount of time, and we might run into denial based on it not being dealt with ny the 2 year mark. This is new territory for me.

Thank you for our advice in advance,
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JohannaP
My parents very recently became aware of EC Regulation 261/2004 and remembered a flight from October 29 2015 between Amsterdam and the USA that was cancelled. I am trying to help them to figure out if they would be entitled to a refund (possible up to E1200 for the 2 of them combined from what I understand).

First, I am trying to collect historical flight data, which is quite cumbersome. Could you advise on where to find this, please?

The flight in question that was delayed and ultimately cancelled (my parents were initially asked to fly a day later with UA but ended up being re-booked on a flight with a different company the same day since my mom is oxygen-dependent and very stressed with the changes in flights):

Thu, 29OCT15 UA947
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
(AMS) 11:00 AM
WASHINGTON, DC
(IAD - DULLES) 3:05 PM

Thu, 29OCT15 UA400
WASHINGTON, DC
(IAD - DULLES) 5:32 PM
RALEIGH/DURHAM, NC
(RDU) 6:47 PM 737-800

I submitted the information to some European websites that might be able to assist in such a claim but the case was denied since the flight date was more than 18 months ago, and the deadline for such claims is 2 years for citizens in The Netherlands.

Any advice you may have in companies or individuals who would be able to help, or how I could possibly approach United Airlines myself would b emuch appreciated. My concern is that such claims could take a significant amount of time, and we might run into denial based on it not being dealt with ny the 2 year mark. This is new territory for me.

Thank you for our advice in advance,
I dont think anyone except the airlines might track this data. Flight aware tracks it for 8 months - https://flightaware.com/commercial/premium/. And something that happened that long ago - I dont thin kyou might find someone willing to help.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure if you can still do this for free anymore, may require a paid account now, but flightstats.com used to offer this info. up dating back many years. All you needed was a free account in the past, but I I know they locked many features behind a paywall now. May want to check if signing up for a free account will allow the access, or perhaps they have a free trial you can use and then save the data. In addition the the basic info, they also typically have an event timeline which details all the changes in departure time (and the reason), tail swaps, gate swaps, etc.

I know the other poster mentioned FlightAware only goes back a few months, but I beleive they also have a paid option to go back further than that, if it's something you really want to find.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
I just checked my free flightstats.com account. yeah looks like they have made the change. flights older than a few days are now under the "professional" subscription ($24.99 per month)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... First, I am trying to collect historical flight data, which is quite cumbersome. Could you advise on where to find this, please?

The flight in question that was delayed and ultimately cancelled (my parents were initially asked to fly a day later with UA but ended up being re-booked on a flight with a different company the same day since my mom is oxygen-dependent and very stressed with the changes in flights): ....
Not sure the flight data will matter -- as the travelers were re-routed. What matters is the total delay from the original arrival and the the actual arrival.

What was the ultimate time difference?

.... I submitted the information to some European websites that might be able to assist in such a claim but the case was denied since the flight date was more than 18 months ago, and the deadline for such claims is 2 years for citizens in The Netherlands.

Any advice you may have in companies or individuals who would be able to help, or how I could possibly approach United Airlines myself would b emuch appreciated. My concern is that such claims could take a significant amount of time, and we might run into denial based on it not being dealt with ny the 2 year mark. ...
I think this will become the bigger issue -- there is a reason those sites are declining to get the opportunity to get paid.

The claim has to be made in the EU country of passenger residence, the EU country of departure or directly with the airline. It appears to work better being claimed from the EU side. Success rate with a lot of persistence is low.

While your question was on historical data, believe you may find
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-united.html useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.