Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RPU / PlusPoints non-Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS (thru 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RPU / PlusPoints non-Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS (thru 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
For those trying to do a same day RPU application, I've found success with the agents in the United Clubs at both DCA and EWR.

David
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
... found that RN>0 for the flight so I called 1K
You cleared into RN with RPU??
Thought that was for Instant Upgrade (Y/B fares) inventory for Silver, Gold and maybe Plats
or some purchased upgrades.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You cleared into RN with RPU??
Thought that was for Instant Upgrade (Y/B fares) inventory for Silver, Gold and maybe Plats
or some purchased upgrades.
Whoops. Should have typed "R>0"

David
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
goalie-parents are flying SFO-IAH-PBI on February 6th and returning PBI-ORD-SFO on May 8th

Booked November 28th and sponsored GS RPU's applied to all segments and all 4 segments waitlised

Re-ticketed on January 9th for travel outbound on February 6th and returning on May 8th due to goalie-dad fracturing his ankle and the agent was able to re-apply all RPU's and all 4 segments waitlisted

Both goalie-dad and goalie-mom cleared into PN last night (January 27th) PBI-ORD with the remaining 3 segments still waitlisted
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Got my wife upgraded when R opened up on EWR-JAX. Not a long route, but worse ways to fly than up front on an E175. Hoping I get a bump soon as well.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
ORD-JAC [Jackson Hole] on a Wednesday. Probably would have CPU'd, as only 1 F seat was taken and only 7 E+ seats were occupied (plus a couple blocked).

ETA: Well, that blew up - weather cancellation for first leg, rebooked on IAD-DEN-JAC, and of course the RPU cleared on DEN-JAC, but not IAD-DEN (which was super full because of other rebookings).

Last edited by drewguy; Mar 31, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
ORD-JAC [Jackson Hole] on a Wednesday. Probably would have CPU'd, as only 1 F seat was taken and only 7 E+ seats were occupied (plus a couple blocked).
Burn them while you can
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Burn them while you can
Yeah, exactly. Especially, as was the case this time, when it was a friend's RPUs, and he never uses them because most of his travel is international paid biz.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Upgraded my companion at booking ONT-DEN and DEN-ONT - not exactly a windfall experience given the longer domestic segments are still waitlisted, but better than nothing.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Last Thursday at 0605: LAX-ORD-DCA. The ORD-DCA leg cleared 2 weeks in advance. Upon arrival in LA, it was clear the LAX-ORD leg was a no go. 1 seat remaining and this 1K 2MM was 3rd on the list. I called res and asked them cancel the UG to DCA, as it wasn't worth it. I ended up riding Y there too, but only because they had already cleared the CPU's. Had I not included it in the RPU request, I'm sure I would have cleared CPU.

Sunday: 4:05 PM BWI-DEN-LAX. UA held the BWI-DEN until T24 even though the cabin was 20 booked to 10. Again, I'm sure I would have gotten a CPU, as there were still 2 seats open at boarding. Of course, the 772 DEN-LAX never cleared and I was #6 on the list.

So, it appears RPU's are basically worthless for any meaningful routing. Even the BWI leg wouldn't clear anytime in advance, despite it being wide open.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 successes - with one a follow up to my earlier post:

Upgrade Success #2:
Route: EWR-LAX
Date: 03/23/18
Plane: 777-200
When applied: approx. 3 days after booking from company travel website by 1K phone agent
When cleared: ~T-1 hour
# of passengers: 1
Booking class: V
Elite Status/Level: 1K
Notes: see post: Ever see (+X blocked) in booked column on upgrade list?

Upgrade Success #1:
Was:
Route: SFO-BOS
Date: 02/27/18
Plane: 757-200
When applied: ~7 days after booking
When cleared: immediately when RPU applied by 1K phone agent to all segments
Booking class: V
Notes: was searching for GGBUYUP cost and found that R>0 for the flight so I called 1K
Became:
Route: LAX-EWR
Date: 02/26/18
When applied: ~12 hours after booking
When cleared: ~T-22 hours
Booking class: E
Notes: additional meeting scheduled for 02/27 so I had to cancel the previous booking (and give up its RPU upgrade) and book 4 days before travel. so somehow I was then RPU upgraded a few hours after check in...who knew?
David
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
...So, it appears RPU's are basically worthless for any meaningful routing. Even the BWI leg wouldn't clear anytime in advance, despite it being wide open.

...except for for the next poster after you, and the numerous times I’ve used mine on not-insignificant legs, as well as the experiences of others. Outside of those times where they are worthwhile, they are basically worthless.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

...except for for the next poster after you, and the numerous times I’ve used mine on not-insignificant legs, as well as the experiences of others. Outside of those times where they are worthwhile, they are basically worthless.
Goody for you my friend. I wish you continued success and wish I had the same luck. Cheers!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gld, UA 1K
Route: EWR-LAX
Date: 03/26/18
When applied: 3/17/18
When cleared: ~Manually processed by 1k agent after flight showed R9 on departure day (t-6 hours)
Booking class: s
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:15 pm

Very surprised at how much success people are having on EWR-LAX. I got it once last year, but it usually means trying luck on the absolute latest flight westbound (which I hate taking anyways).

I did clear EWR-FLL for a Saturday morning flight in May this weekend. The flight has been downgraded to ‘snack’ except during prime dinner hours, though...not thrilled about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.