Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are there rear facing biz class seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are there rear facing biz class seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
The only difference between forward and backwards here is whether it happens on takeoff or landing...
Fair.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
My biggest issue with the 8-abreast J is there is literally NO overhead storage space.
There are literally bins over every single seat in business class.

And put me on the list of those who prefer the reverse-facing seats for sleeping.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12

And put me on the list of those who prefer the reverse-facing seats for sleeping.
And me, they are great for sleeping, just the right angle. Other than lacking direct aisle access, I'll take the rearward facing ITPE seat over most/all current gen seats for sleeping. (lack of storage, table space, direct aisle access are separate issues).
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
And me, they are great for sleeping, just the right angle. Other than lacking direct aisle access, I'll take the rearward facing ITPE seat over most/all current gen seats for sleeping. (lack of storage, table space, direct aisle access are separate issues).
Agreed. For an overnight flight, IMHO the IPTE seats are more comfortable than the pmCO lie-flats and AC's much-heralded lie flats.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The rear facing seats are better than forward facing IMO; since they're flat to the floor the rear facing gives you a couple degrees head above feet due to the aircraft's pitch up attitude.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Add me to the list of those who prefer rear facing seats for sleeping
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Rear facing seats on the upper deck of the 747 are my favorite. The bins against the window solves the storage problem and I enjoy sitting backwards.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Duke787
Add me to the list of those who prefer rear facing seats for sleeping
Same here.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Rear facing is safer on a HEAD ON collision.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
For reference the angle of the lie-flat-at-an-angle seats on AA 767-300s was 9 degrees (11.25 inches overhead 6 feet).

The problem I had with LFAAA seats was a tendency to wake up at end slightly scrunched and have to wiggle back towards the top. These seats lead the no-direct-acess seats to the junk pile.

The less than 3 degree angle of attack is not a big thing for me. IMO very few could tell if the cabin was tilting three degrees if they didn't already know it was or wasn't.

3 degrees over 6 feet is 3.75 inches.

The current seats have enough problems just going up or down when you push the button. I doubt there is a built in AOA adjustment setting. If there was I'm sure someone (United/ seat manufacturer) would be harking it.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12

Obviously -- simply meant there is nowhere near enough.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by FL390
Rear facing seats on the upper deck of the 747 are my favorite. The bins against the window solves the storage problem and I enjoy sitting backwards.
Yes!! Too bad they are going away.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Michael D
The less than 3 degree angle of attack is not a big thing for me. IMO very few could tell if the cabin was tilting three degrees if they didn't already know it was or wasn't.
I'm one of those people... I was at a wedding a week ago where the building had settled over the years, leaving the floor to be ever-so-slightly sloped. Maybe a degree. Drove me nuts.

So I'm definitely also on the rear-facing seat camp.

As for the things flying off the ledges, isn't that a flight crew failure? I've always been told to put away everything at takeoff and landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.