Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are there rear facing biz class seats?

Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

I am on one of the 772's with only 4 rows of "Polaris" on IAH-HNL.

Why would they have you facing the people behind you the entire trip? Is there some perceived space saving?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
The space shared is the access space. So, overall it uses less space.
I hate the arrangement though and go out of my way to avoid it.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Ask British Airways. Or Ethiad.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think the question is why have forward-facing seats? I'll take a rear-facing seat over a forward-facing seat any day.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theadmiral
I am on one of the 772's with only 4 rows of "Polaris" on IAH-HNL.

Why would they have you facing the people behind you the entire trip? Is there some perceived space saving?
If i have to sit 8 abreast in business .... show, i prefer the backwards seats

777 flys slightly nose up and it is a good sleep for me. Reminds me of sleeping in the same position on the sub, head always up and slightly nose up.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by theadmiral
I am on one of the 772's with only 4 rows of "Polaris" on IAH-HNL..
It's not Polaris. The plane is not used on any Polaris routes. And it's not Polaris service. It's just a lie-flat First on a domestic route w/ domestic service. The sole Polaris-derived amenity (if correctly catered) will be a nice pillow and duvet.

And you really can't see the people "behind you". The TV walls block the "view". You will be facing people on the other side of the aisle, though.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 15, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:11 pm

Ever notice how the IPTE seats stop at a certain "nearly lie flat" position when you hold the illuminated bed button? Then if you press and hold again, it gets even "flatter? That's to compensate for the tilt of the aircraft. That second position definitely is 180 flat, and if you're in a forward facing IPTE F or C seat, you'll definitely feel like your head is sloping downwards. Nothing a pillow can't fix, however.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tuolumne
That second position definitely is 180 flat, and if you're in a forward facing IPTE F or C seat, you'll definitely feel like your head is sloping downwards. Nothing a pillow can't fix, however.
Learned that in a hard way recently.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think the question is why have forward-facing seats? I'll take a rear-facing seat over a forward-facing seat any day.
Except during takeoff and landing when everything is flying in the wrong directions!

My biggest issue with the 8-abreast J is there is literally NO overhead storage space. Awful. Make it go away -- although still an improvement over recliners for HNL trips!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Except during takeoff and landing when everything is flying in the wrong directions!
They are all going in the same & right direction. It's just the opposite of what you are used on take off & landing.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Except during takeoff and landing when everything is flying in the wrong directions!...
Yeah - there's a lot of people on Hawaii flights experiencing the lie-flat set-ups for the first time. They put a bunch of stuff on the shelf in front of them and it all flies off as the plane heads down the runway. I don't want to be a know it all and tell them what's in store, but maybe I should.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't want to be a know it all and tell them what's in store, but maybe I should.
I've done this (warned them of stuff-getting-airborne imminently), and thought afterward what a know-it-all I was for saying something.

I've not done it and thought afterward what a mean person I was for staying silent.

Since I can't win, I now alternate between the two.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah - there's a lot of people on Hawaii flights experiencing the lie-flat set-ups for the first time. They put a bunch of stuff on the shelf in front of them and it all flies off as the plane heads down the runway. I don't want to be a know it all and tell them what's in store, but maybe I should.
The spookiest thing for me is I never really realize how much a plane pitches up on takeoff until I am looking all the way down the aisle facing backwards
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
On takeoff in a rear-facing seat, isn't the only thing going in the wrong direction the magazine rack with the retaining bar inevitably in the upright position?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My heart most definitely skipped a beat or two a few years back when, whilst sitting at the gate after boarding, the plane suddenly started moving forwards towards the terminal.

Of course, we were actually just pushing back, but I'd completely forgotten I was in a backwards facing window seat, so when I caught the movement out of the corner of my eye my brain immediately had the plane headed in the wrong direction...

Originally Posted by JAaronT
On takeoff in a rear-facing seat, isn't the only thing going in the wrong direction the magazine rack with the retaining bar inevitably in the upright position?
The only difference between forward and backwards here is whether it happens on takeoff or landing...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.