Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sharing MP Gold Benefits on One Leg of Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus

Hi all, have a question here about booking. My bf and I are taking a vacation next month and the first leg of our trip we'll be on the same itinerary, but we are taking separate flights back. I'm MP Gold and he's Silver and so I want to make sure that he gets the Gold benefits when we travel together, basically so we can lock in E+ for that leg.

Any idea how I can do this if we can't book our tickets at the same time?

Appreciate the help!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOSNRTSFOICH
Hi all, have a question here about booking. My bf and I are taking a vacation next month and the first leg of our trip we'll be on the same itinerary, but we are taking separate flights back. I'm MP Gold and he's Silver and so I want to make sure that he gets the Gold benefits when we travel together, basically so we can lock in E+ for that leg.

Any idea how I can do this if we can't book our tickets at the same time?

Appreciate the help!
just book as normal. Then call in, let them know your traveling together on the outbound and would like to assign him an E+ seat with you on the outbound. Technically, a companion for E+ purposes doesn't specify whether one needs to be on the same PNR or not, but all reports indicate this is standard practice to give the companion an E+ seat on the segments with the elite.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I was looking precisely for a similar question.
Looking to book me and partner on 2 different reservations to use 2 different vouchers. As a silver will I be able to share with her my benefits (bags free, E+) given that we will fly exact same roundtrip flights?

Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I was looking precisely for a similar question.
Looking to book me and partner on 2 different reservations to use 2 different vouchers. As a silver will I be able to share with her my benefits (bags free, E+) given that we will fly exact same roundtrip flights?

Thanks
You're unlikely to be able to share the bag waiver; E+ should be possible but will require calling or asking an agent at checkin.

However -- if the only reason to split your itinerary is to use two vouchers, don't split. You can use one voucher per person on a single itinerary.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:55 am

So use 2 vouchers on the same itinerary I will have to call right?
In this case de booking fee will not be waived?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe you'll need to call:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20012203-post21.html

If that doesn't work, and you're forced to call, I would ask for the phone fee to be waived because you were unable to complete your task on the website.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:36 am

Today I learned something new.
Thank you thank you jsloan
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
you don't need to call - you can use 1 voucher per person. When you get to payment, pull down the options for United Payment Types (there's an arrow you'll have to click), then select the correct option (I forget the exact wording), they'll be a place to type in the PIN and last name associated with the voucher, then you'll be able to select which passenger to apply to (or can now apply to both). I beleive even applying to both for both vouchers can work (I can't remember for sure) - otherwise, you can select pax 1 for the first voucher, then you can add the second one (and pax 2 will be the only person it will let you apply that to). If there's a balance left, you'll need to pay it with your card, and then you are good.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
book as one-ways. Use 4 vouchers and at the same time get higher UG priority for the companion and bag stuff etc.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

If that doesn't work, and you're forced to call, I would ask for the phone fee to be waived because you were unable to complete your task on the website.
^^^

I learned something new and useful today
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Never knew this!

Originally Posted by jsloan

Never knew this! Thanks for posting the link and calling our attention to this.. Safe Travels
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:50 pm

for both scenarios, i would book one ways.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The one-way strategy is the best - assuming the OP is flying domestically or to an international destination that still prices one-ways as half of RT.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:09 am

I was in the exact scenario as OP and when I called in for the first leg, the agent checked I was on the same outbound flight, but then assigned E+ for my companion to both outbound and return flights (we were on separate return flights).

I didn't expect this obviously and I'm sure this was a result of inattention/laziness on part of the agent. But I didn't complain as it was an 8-hour flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.