Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
With UC Membership
Originally Posted by 757FO
This is correct for both my airline (UA) and my finace's (AA). We can access the lounge, provided we have membership, but not in uniform.

Print Wikipost

Non Rev United Club Access

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by kettle1
I do not work for any airline, but I know many people that do. Many. Every one of them has told me the same thing. Every single one (on all three carriers). I stand by my comment 100%.
You are entitled to believe in misinformation. This is an internet forum, and it's your prerogative whether or not to believe my claim that I still have my RCC membership card from 2000 (17 years ago, wow), as well as a bunch of UA boarding passes with two slashes marked across them (those who know will understand what I'm talking about).

It's not my obligation nor desire to prove me right or you wrong, but I kindly suggest that it's to your benefit to be more scrupulous with second-handed "facts."

added: Besides, this argument is pointless in regard to OP. NRSAs today can and do use their respective airline lounges. That's all that matters.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Sep 26, 2017 at 12:22 am Reason: added
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
It's perfectly okay for an employee who has a UC membership to use the UC when flying nonrev. In a similar vein, there is no rule barring a nonrev pax from being guested into a UC by a *G who has the privilege of inviting one guest.
This is correct. I am presently 12:00 a.m. in a U/C and inquired. The agents best guess is approx 10/12 years ago the rules changed and employees are now allowed in the club as guests and/or on paid membership.

Btw, I really see no reason for some to get all huffy about someone posting a rule that has been changed and they honestly didn't know was revised.

Bigger problems lie ahead --- Like whether I get my upgrade on my 3rd segment, from XXX to ZZZ (or is it YYY?) !!!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:15 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
Given these, under what circumstances would a passenger traveling on one of the ticket types indicated in the second footnote be denied entry to the UC?
Gonna guess it would be a pass, ZED, or ID discounted ticket and a gold level status, where the status benefits do not apply on the pass/ZED/ID ticket. But I'm not a UC agent nor a manager of the lounge programs, so it's just a guess
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:40 am

Wow, the misinformation. As a 25+ year recently retired UA (pre-merger UA) employee, I was an RCC/UC member almost the entire time (and still am). I believe some airlines had policies prohibiting employee members but PMUA did not.

Currently, not only are employee members allowed but as was posted above, employee travel profile can be linked to MP number meaning I scan my NRSA BP or what used to be called a DM card at the club entrance and the system does the rest (also has the advantage of NRSA listings show up in the United app automatically and listings can be made through the app - unlike most people, when we choose "Book A Flight" on the app, we then get a "Choose Travel Type" menu to choose between Revenue/Award and NRSA).

The restriction on employee ticket access in that chart seems to be strictly related to lounge entitlement based on having an appropriate *A ticket. It does not negate entitlement if the passenger is entitled to lounge access by another means.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Do you know any employees who have a UC membership?
I know of at least 3 UA employees with a United Club membership. One of them posts every so often from the United Club on their instagram account, which so happened is followed by United.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Final result: Yes

So to report the result: Yes, not a problem, and no questions were raised when the still-not-cleared standby BP was scanned at two clubs at that hub.

OTOH, returning LHR-IAD-LAX on Econ, LAX denied me entry as I was purely arriving. I had no checked bag and was going to get re-caffeinated for the drive home. From reading the rules, I think the club agent was wrong, although the phrasing for *G "departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered" is not as strong as that for J/F "may access United Club locations at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing".
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guested a friend who was nonreving with me (paid J) into the lounge at EWR during the CO days - 2000. I remember he was not cleared until the gate and ended up sitting next to me.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
So to report the result: Yes, not a problem, and no questions were raised when the still-not-cleared standby BP was scanned at two clubs at that hub.

OTOH, returning LHR-IAD-LAX on Econ, LAX denied me entry as I was purely arriving. I had no checked bag and was going to get re-caffeinated for the drive home. From reading the rules, I think the club agent was wrong, although the phrasing for *G "departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered" is not as strong as that for J/F "may access United Club locations at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing".
the agent was correct. No arrival lounge on SAG. Arrival lounge LHR-EWR-LAX would have been possible when flying in C, but not via IAD.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Do you know any employees who have a UC membership?
Ah, yes I was sitting with two in DEN on Saturday.

Originally Posted by Two Bee
This is correct. I am presently 12:00 a.m. in a U/C and inquired. The agents best guess is approx 10/12 years ago the rules changed and employees are now allowed in the club as guests and/or on paid membership.

Btw, I really see no reason for some to get all huffy about someone posting a rule that has been changed and they honestly didn't know was revised.

Bigger problems lie ahead --- Like whether I get my upgrade on my 3rd segment, from XXX to ZZZ (or is it YYY?) !!!
Please for sake of clarity when posting time as 12:00AM - please post as 12:01 so that the muddled are not spending time guessing as 12:00 = Midnight or noon.
PS: When waiting for a UG on the third leg it doesn't matter if it's ZZZ or YYY or QQQ

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2017 at 10:44 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:09 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

United Club Membership & Non-Rev Travel

I'm a United Club member and have recently been given access to a United employee's non-revenue travel benefits. If I have a United Club membership, am I able to access the lounge when flying on a non-revenue basis?

I checked for similar threads and was not able to find anything specifically about passengers with formal club memberships.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I'm a United Club member and have recently been given access to a United employee's non-revenue travel benefits. If I have a United Club membership, am I able to access the lounge when flying on a non-revenue basis?

I checked for similar threads and was not able to find anything specifically about passengers with formal club memberships.
The requirement for UA Club entry is a same day UA flight. Regardless of non-rev or rev, as long as you are on a UA flight it shouldn't be an issue. I know on DL, back when CO was part of SkyTeam, the agents at the Crown Room weren't keen on allowing non-rev passengers entry.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There was a time back in history when most airline rules said that employees could not join the clubs, which implied that even if the employee were flying on a revenue ticket, there would be no lounge access unless it was a premium cabin ticket that permitted lounge use. Of course, one suspects that there were exceptions for high level executives.

In fact, I remember a time at a DO when we were first meeting in the airline lounge upon arrival and several employees participating in the event (who were meeting us as we arrived) were very careful to explain why they were entering the lounge with us and did not partake of F&B.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MM
Not too many years ago, a UA employee told me they can join UC but can't enter when wearing their uniform. TIFWIW
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There was a time back in history when most airline rules said that employees could not join the clubs, which implied that even if the employee were flying on a revenue ticket, there would be no lounge access unless it was a premium cabin ticket that permitted lounge use. Of course, one suspects that there were exceptions for high level executives.

In fact, I remember a time at a DO when we were first meeting in the airline lounge upon arrival and several employees participating in the event (who were meeting us as we arrived) were very careful to explain why they were entering the lounge with us and did not partake of F&B.
(Bolding/Underlining mine)

Right, because it might mess up the Rondele cheese supply if too many employees binged on this former CO PC mainstay.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:58 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
The requirement for UA Club entry is a same day UA flight. Regardless of non-rev or rev, as long as you are on a UA flight it shouldn't be an issue. I know on DL, back when CO was part of SkyTeam, the agents at the Crown Room weren't keen on allowing non-rev passengers entry.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

How things have changed. I know one group of AA employees who share the AA World Elite card and add authorized users just to get lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.