Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Considering 737 Max 10 and A321neo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Considering 737 Max 10 and A321neo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:18 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
I'm pretty sure if UA gets any 737-10s, it will be strictly order conversions from -9s, correct?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Boeing is claiming 5% better fuel burn on comparable seat count to the relevant 321 variant.
That is why the 737 is the most prolific airliner. The accountants love its economics.

It will be interesting to see how the economics of the CS100 and CS300 work out in comparison to the 737-7 Max and A319/320neo. I think the C-Series will be the most comfortable passenger experience in that group.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:18 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Would the new landing gear make the 737-10 less prone to tail strikes than the 739?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Boeing is claiming 5% better fuel burn on comparable seat count to the relevant 321 variant. United's accountants won't care about fractions of an inch in coach seat width.
The A321neo has 2-4% more seats than the MAX10, so even if we were to accept BA's own claims at face value, the CASM advantage would be down to 1-3%.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That is why the 737 is the most prolific airliner. The accountants love its economics.

It will be interesting to see how the economics of the CS100 and CS300 work out in comparison to the 737-7 Max and A319/320neo. I think the C-Series will be the most comfortable passenger experience in that group.
The CS300 has better economics than the 737-7MAX and the A319neo. Airbus has 50 A319neo orders and Boeing has 60 737-7MAX orders compared to Bombardier's 242 CS300 orders.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Honestly, I find the whole issue of the "wider seats" kind of moot. If not for reading it on FT, I never would have known that there was a difference in seat width between the 737-xxx and the A319/320. I think the comments about a difference in comfort are mainly confirmation bias, as that small fraction of an inch really isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it. I'm sure either plane would work fine.

Are they thinking about putting lie-flats in some of these in first in order to replace some of the existing 757-200 a/c?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Honestly, I find the whole issue of the "wider seats" kind of moot. If not for reading it on FT, I never would have known that there was a difference in seat width between the 737-xxx and the A319/320. I think the comments about a difference in comfort are mainly confirmation bias, as that small fraction of an inch really isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it. I'm sure either plane would work fine.
I guess that depends on your, and your seat-mate's, BMI.

Just as the comfort advantage of a few extra inches of legroom is greatly dependant on your height.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think the comments about a difference in comfort are mainly confirmation bias, as that small fraction of an inch really isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it.
Don't agree at all. I preferred the 319/20 long before I read anything here about cabin or seat width. The aircraft feels more spacious and is noticeably quieter.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't agree at all. I preferred the 319/20 long before I read anything here about cabin or seat width. The aircraft feels more spacious and is noticeably quieter.
Yes, but the PTU sounds like a barking dog, so I'll take the Boeing please. Can't stand that noise.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Yes, but the PTU sounds like a barking dog, so I'll take the Boeing please. Can't stand that noise.
Is that truly a worthy reason to have less space?

I reasonably regularly do 4hr+ segments in an A321 and would hate to trade it for a 737.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Productivity
Is that truly a worthy reason to have less space?
No. Nor is the take-off whine from the IAE V2500. Small price to pay for an overall more comfortable flight experience.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:16 pm

Honestly, I find the whole issue of the "wider seats" kind of moot. If not for reading it on FT, I never would have known that there was a difference in seat width between the 737-xxx and the A319/320. I think the comments about a difference in comfort are mainly confirmation bias, as that small fraction of an inch really isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it.
I disagree entirely. The room is either in the seats or in the aisle. Either of those improves the comfort factor. If it's it the seats, you aren't quite as squished. If it's in the aisle, there is less elbow bumping and sometimes it gives a person the ability to squeeze by people or carts.

As an example, the old NW A320s used standard (narrower) F seats in them, but the aisle was so wide in F that two people could pass each other with ease.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
As someone who knows very little about either of these aircraft, could someone explain why there appears to be a negative bias toward the 737-MAX10?

Couldn't UA install the same slimline seats on either aircraft?
The airbus is 6" wider in the cabin. The result is that - holding arm rests the same size - airlines use seats that are '18" wide' vs. '17" wide' The a321 is a much, much nicer plane. Try AA or DL's ones, the experience is so much better than anything United can offer.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The Airbus fuselage is slightly wider than the 737's so the seats are half an inch wider (17.7" vs 17.2"). The lavs are also roomier. Makes for a more comfortable ride.

For us up front, the Airbus has a quieter cockpit and slower takeoff and landing speeds which makes our job a bit more pleasant.

I fly the 737 for the (currently) better trips but I prefer to ride in the A320/319 when I'm traveling.
The new A321s are much nicer than the older A320/319 that United has. Overhead bins are much nicer, and the plane has a more open feel. Bathrooms are also much nicer than the Boeing slim jobs.

Only correction I would make is that the seats are not 1/2" wider, they are a full inch wider. The airlines flying Boeings (see UA) claim a wider seat by taking the 1" out of the seat in the arm rests, but this trick, while making the seat appear wider given the figures they provide, does not impact the actual feel of the seat, which is always going to be 1" wider on an airbus.

Originally Posted by username
The 321 feels more like the 757. Does the MAX10 feel more like 737 or 757?
There are no A321neos flying, but it will look/feel almost identically to the brand new A321s that DL/AA have (only the engine is different). They have a much more open feel to the cabin, and in First Class have the openness of the 757, but with a wider aisle (since the 757 is 6" narrower). I have flow DL A321 and then DL B739 several times back to back, and the airbus is a much nicer ride. It is immediately notable, to the extent that I will try to book it when I can. And the difference is notable in both F and Y.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
The a321 is a much, much nicer plane. Try AA or DL's ones, the experience is so much better than anything United can offer.
And then try it on NK or N9. :-:

The new A321s are much nicer than the older A320/319 that United has. Overhead bins are much nicer, and the plane has a more open feel. Bathrooms are also much nicer than the Boeing slim jobs.
The existing models could be upgraded with the new bins and lavs. And the Airbus SpaceFlex lav is hardly glamorous. My shoulders touched both sides when I walked in one recently.

There are no A321neos flying,
Virgin America/Alaska Airlines would choose to dispute that fact. And they'd win.
@:-)

Link to an external story I wrote; you've been warned.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:50 pm

The fuselage of the Airbus is wider (no debate here). It's also quieter, and really, it's not based off an original design conceived during a different generation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.