Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kansas City woman says she was forced to urinate in a cup on United flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kansas City woman says she was forced to urinate in a cup on United flight

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Hard to say much when the story is short on details..

This doesn't add much additional info, but there is a little.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-flight-ever/
Old May 10, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bhadden
This doesn't add much additional info, but there is a little.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-flight-ever/
Interesting - definitely a lot more detail. Obviously this is not necessarily in keeping with FARs, but IMO the seatbelt sign is more of a suggestion than anything else due to the way it's used on US airlines, and really the only concern is if getting up would run the risk of not being seated by the takeoff roll, or by short final. Certainly for something like a "bathroom emergency" I imagine 99% of time time pax get up and go to the lav with no permission or comment from the crew.

Very unclear from the story how much communication there was with the crew and what their response was, but hard to imagine an FA bringing a cup like that unless the flight was pretty far into descent.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If it's so "dangerous" to use the lav when the woman needed to use it, then wouldn't it be at least as dangerous to pee into a cup? Something like bad turbulence, windy landing, slamming on the brakes after landing on a short runway, whatever... I fail to see how peeing into a cup while trying to sit in a seat with your seat belt on is any safer

But if it's just a "rules are rules, too bad so sad" type of thinking, well that would help to explain why it's a bannable offense to bring more than 100ml of water through the security checkpoint (but the 1.5L versions sold on the other side are just fine). Rules are rules, too bad, so sad.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by madein808
United can't seem to catch a break, more bad publicity....

http://www.sfgate.com/business/artic...e-11134397.php
I was reading this article, fully expecting to never actually see any United staff "Forcing" her to use a cup. Then..sure enough..they handed her one. Nice.

Well, it's still better than their coffee.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 10, 2017 at 5:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 10, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: none
Sounds like the passenger had a medical condition that makes flying difficult. You can have sympathy for the situation.

Also sounds like she KNEW about it ahead of time. So next time, plan ahead. There are a number of things you can do ahead of time. The fact that she didn't adequately plan is unfortunate, but doesn't make it the airline's fault.

Should I get compensation for being uncomfortable on a flight?
Old May 10, 2017, 5:16 pm

I am sorry but I am siding with United on this one if a passenger really needs to use the restroom then do it before the descent or not drink too much.

I always use the restroom before the flight and then again before landing.

What simple part of " Please remain seated with your seatbelts securely fastened until the plane comes to a complete stop at the gate and the captain turns off the fasten seatbelt sign" didn't the passenger understand?

People will always find ways to defy the flight attendant to get their needs met.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
She chose to urinate in a cup.
Ah thats public indecency and can be punished in the court of law.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 10, 2017 at 5:49 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 10, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
I am sorry but I am siding with United on this one if a passenger really needs to use the restroom then do it before the descent or not drink too much.

I always use the restroom before the flight and then again before landing.

What simple part of " Please remain seated with your seatbelts securely fastened until the plane comes to a complete stop at the gate and the captain turns off the fasten seatbelt sign" didn't the passenger understand?

People will always find ways to defy the flight attendant to get their needs met.
Someone else pointed out that this condition means that they don't sense that "fullness" ahead of time. It comes on suddenly and they don't have control at that point.

I do agree though that if I had this condition, I'd side on the cautious side and wear an adult diaper just to be sure.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by danielonn
Ah thats public indecency and can be punished in the court of law.
oh dear god....

Old May 10, 2017, 5:30 pm

If she was so "humiliated" about the situation and that is her main complaint, then why did she go out of her way to contact the media about it and make it so the whole world knew about it? Probably because all she actually cared about was getting her 15 minutes and hoping for a payout. These attention seekers are out of control now.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
If she was so "humiliated" about the situation and that is her main complaint, then why did she go out of her way to contact the media about it and make it so the whole world knew about it? Probably because all she actually cared about was getting her 15 minutes and hoping for a payout. These attention seekers are out of control now.
Anyone seated around her could have notified the media. She may have just wanted to explain her side at that point. Seriously, if you saw someone peeing in their airplane seat, wouldn't it be a bit odd, especially if you didn't understand the reasoning behind it? I have no clue what her intent was, but I do want to state that there could be a very sincere reason for her giving a statement. She must feel so embarrassed. I couldn't imagine intentionally seeking out the media after going through this.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Explorer789
There's no winning here. The pax offered to pee in a cup, FA agreed that was probably the safest option for everyone in the cabin. As far as I can tell with the sparse details, both the pax and FA dealt with the situation in a reasonable manner.
You're kidding, right?

If flight was on descent, she could have ignored the fasten seat belt and used lav (I've done this many times, though more often on ascent).

If flight was landing the FA could have said it will just be a few minutes to the gate (unlikely here as FAs are not usually patrolling the aisles after landing while on active taxiway).

It is going to take UA a while to turn around the "just say no" culture particularly on regionals.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm thrilled each time we see one of these stories from any carrier. It will be the only way to get the much-needed regulation to reign in the arrogant executives and their minions.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:49 pm

deleted

Last edited by TravelingNomads; May 11, 2017 at 6:17 am
Old May 10, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 10, 2017, 6:02 pm

deleted

Last edited by TravelingNomads; May 11, 2017 at 5:30 am
Old May 10, 2017, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by BearX220
It was that or pee on the seat. She also reports the FAs shamed her for her bladder-control problem, which I have no trouble imagining.
I had serious stomach problems after eating bad food on a trip to Vietnam and then had a series of connecting flights back to the States via Narita.

I knew the problem of getting up and going to the loo (which I did about 14-18 times over the course of 24 hours of travel) and bought a box of pampers for adults for the trip.

I knew it was something abnormal but I also knew there were going to be times it would be impossible to make it to the loo or if the plane was landing or taking off, I would have problems getting to the loo.

I don't see what is so special about this passenger in that she already knew she had a bladder problem and why she chose not to plan for this.

I don't think the airline is at fault for this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.