Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kansas City woman says she was forced to urinate in a cup on United flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kansas City woman says she was forced to urinate in a cup on United flight

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by JakiChan
For her side of it:

https://www.facebook.com/Nikki.Jo.Ha...02944103929264

It was not on descent, the drinks cart was out. I suggest before passing judgement you at least read her own words.
I don't see any mention of the drinks cart in her post?
Old May 11, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How does a woman even do this without removing the seatbelt and (with or without seatbelt) without getting urine on the seat/floor and her clothing? Did the FA provide both cups (disposable and unbreakable I hope) just for this purpose?
This story doesn't have a ring of any truth.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Having just gotten off of YET ANOTHER United flight where the pilot didn't turn off the seatbelt sign for the entire 2.5 hours (despite smooth sailing)... I can feel the lady's pain.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In her story, she also says that AFTER her being refused to visit the lavatory, an FC stood up walked to the lav, in her words, right past a smiling FA. She also reports on the treatment she received after essentially being forced to urinate at her seat, including flight staff complaining that now she's made them call in hazmat to clean the area. Very nice and typically UA.
I'm puzzled by folks who spend the time composing posts that essentially say she's lying.
We're presented with a scenario and come to comment on it.
The question is fundamentally how much degradation should a customer expect if they choose or are unable to buy the carrier's premium offerings. What's interesting on a forum like this is the reactions of those of us who don't fly steerage especially when compared to the other 70-80% of flyers.
If the only point of a post is I don't think it happened, why comment at all?
The bottom line question given the story is do you think a Y ticket should have less access to hygienic facilities than a J? Because apparently this flight crew does.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rickg523
In her story, she also says that AFTER her being refused to visit the lavatory, an FC stood up walked to the lav, in her words, right past a smiling FA. She also reports on the treatment she received after essentially being forced to urinate at her seat, including flight staff complaining that now she's made them call in hazmat to clean the area. Very nice and typically UA.
I'm puzzled by folks who spend the time composing posts that essentially say she's lying.
We're presented with a scenario and come to comment on it.

The question is fundamentally how much degradation should a customer expect if they choose or are unable to buy the carrier's premium offerings. What's interesting on a forum like this is the reactions of those of us who don't fly steerage especially when compared to the other 70-80% of flyers.
If the only point of a post is I don't think it happened, why comment at all?
The bottom line question given the story is do you think a Y ticket should have less access to hygienic facilities than a J? Because apparently this flight crew does.
I'm puzzled by folks who spend the time composing posts that essentially say the FAs are lying.

I don't think that coach passengers should have less access to lavatories than premium class passengers. I think the same safety rules should apply to everyone on the plane.

I don't know what happened on this plane. I don't know if the passenger is lying or the FA or if it is a case of misunderstanding blown out of proportion. I wasn't there, I can't sort this out.

Not specific to this case, I do know that that adherence to FAA rules in general is a major part of what makes flying as safe as it is today. It wouldn't be if everyone got to choose which rules apply to them based on their "expertise" or level of inconvenience. Those who argue that passengers should be allowed to wander around the cabin during taxiing or final approach should lobby the FAA (with scientific data) to relax the rules, not ask for FAs to violate the rules and risk getting fined.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by gardener
She did not pee in a cup, she peed into a cup. Unless it was a mighty big cup, big enough to hold an adult.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Cruss74
I don't see any mention of the drinks cart in her post?
Sorry, that's in an additional post that's public and top of her profile.

Local news is amazing... I was super nervous coming forward to tell my story but I'm so glad I did, I hope it helps initiate some change in the way airlines treat people in the future. United Airlines lied about reaching out to me, I attempted to reach them multiple times over the past 2 weeks and was repetitively told customer service would not take my call. They also lied about the incident happening during the descent... this all happened mid flight, while flight attendants were providing drink service. It is ironic, however that I did get a call from an executive customer service representative at United Airlines as soon as my stories aired. Power to social media and local news media! Thanks to everyone who shared my story and helped make a difference, as little as it may be it is powerful!!
Old May 11, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by rickg523
In her story, she also says that AFTER her being refused to visit the lavatory, an FC stood up walked to the lav, in her words, right past a smiling FA.
Different FAs?
Or the same FA who isn't consistent in treating passengers? Once on a flight, the seatbelt sign remained on the entire flight. The girl next to me gets up to go to the bathroom and the FA told her to sit down - she obeyed though she "really had to go" (her own words). But I noticed other people getting up to use the bathroom and that same FA said nothing to them. The girl eventually got back up and proceeded to the bathroom and the FA said nothing to her.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I'm puzzled by folks who spend the time composing posts that essentially say the FAs are lying.
I think for a lot of people, it represents part of a pattern.

I've been lied to many times by FAs and GAs. Outright, intentional lies. (This isn't even a United-specific thing.) Therefore, I'm biased to expect future lies. I guess this is a long way of saying I don't trust them, whereas I don't have any experience with (or reason to mistrust) the Pee Lady.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
I might be mis-remembering, but I thought they were on the ground, but still technically moving to the gate. I think the "danger" at that point would have been pretty minimal.
from the initial article linked, the wording from the story indicated she was told that she'd have to wait until the seat belt sign was off after landing. Believe that was from pax initial post. That's all I saw in there. A few posts into this thread, someone suggested plane was taxi-ing, but I didn't see that anywhere -I'm pretty sure it was speculation. My guess based on that wording is they were somewhere in the descent phase (if they were on the ground, it already would have been 'after landing'), but I see how someone could more broadly interpret it as somewhere between descent and at the gate parked - of which taxi is possible. Of course, the pax herself is now claiming this was mid-flight, and obviously there is no taxi at that point

Semantics aside, even if it was on taxi and the risk is minimal, the FAA rule still applies. This is still a safety rule. Someone deciding they don't think they should be following it is a risk to themselves, and potentially other pax, as well. There are lots of rules I don't like in this world, but I still try to follow them, even if I think some are stupid.

I agree if the woman has had a known condition with regards to her bladder, she should have proactively had a solution - even a non-ideal one. It turns out there is an easy and relatively inexpensive solution, which requires a simple trip to any drug store prior to departure. Given the pax' career as a nurse, you'd think she would have been aware of it, too. I'm leaning toward the side of the pax being unprepared for realities of air travel, and wanting someone to blame - and having an easy target given the ire against airlines in general, and specifically UA.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Having just gotten off of YET ANOTHER United flight where the pilot didn't turn off the seatbelt sign for the entire 2.5 hours (despite smooth sailing)... I can feel the lady's pain.
As usual in these (frequent) customer complaints, there is something UA could do to ameliorate the situation. There have been several threads about US airlines tendency to have the seatbelt sign on excessively. Of course there can be clear air turbulence, but there must be a balance.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I think for a lot of people, it represents part of a pattern.

I've been lied to many times by FAs and GAs. Outright, intentional lies. (This isn't even a United-specific thing.) Therefore, I'm biased to expect future lies. I guess this is a long way of saying I don't trust them, whereas I don't have any experience with (or reason to mistrust) the Pee Lady.
While you may not "have any experience with (or reason to mistrust) the Pee Lady," do you have any experience with 'opportunistic' people trying to take advantage of a situation for their own benefit? While you may have had bad experiences with FAs and GAs previously, you also don't know the ones involved in this situation personally, as to accurately give your opinion on their credibility. Just, as you state, you don't know Pee Lady personally.

You're giving one party the benefit of the doubt because you don't have any personal experience with them, yet projecting past experiences on the other party (despite also not having any personal experiences with them). Seems a bit biased and unfair. Realistically this is a "my word vs your word" kind of situation, and it's impossible to judge what truly went on without any actual evidence.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
While you may not "have any experience with (or reason to mistrust) the Pee Lady," do you have any experience with 'opportunistic' people trying to take advantage of a situation for their own benefit? While you may have had bad experiences with FAs and GAs previously, you also don't know the ones involved in this situation personally, as to accurately give your opinion on their credibility. Just, as you state, you don't know Pee Lady personally.

You're giving one party the benefit of the doubt because you don't have any personal experience with them, yet projecting past experiences on the other party (despite also not having any personal experiences with them). Seems a bit biased and unfair. Realistically this is a "my word vs your word" kind of situation, and it's impossible to judge what truly went on without any actual evidence.
Agreed. It is biased and unfair. I implicitly distrust airlines, based on my own past experience.

If a brand-new airline is founded tomorrow, I'll distrust them too, based on that experience.

And yes, I give the passenger the benefit of the doubt, because I've seen how airlines treat passengers. Again, probably unfair without knowing all the details.

So you're right...all of these situations are influenced by preconceived expectations.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I don't think that coach passengers should have less access to lavatories than premium class passengers. I think the same safety rules should apply to everyone on the plane.

I don't know what happened on this plane. I don't know if the passenger is lying or the FA or if it is a case of misunderstanding blown out of proportion. I wasn't there, I can't sort this out.
I'm not saying ANYONE is lying. I approached this as I do every one of these stories - on the general underlying issue not the specific cases unless I see it myself.
The question I'm always asking is the same one Munoz himself addresses when he says "It happened because our corporate policies were placed ahead of our shared values. Our procedures got in the way of our employees doing what they know is right."
The issue of differential application of rules and regs in different cabins falls into this topic. Let's assume nothing.
Should a human being in Y be allowed the same lavatory access as one in F?
Is anyone going to say no? (well, I can already think of few who would )
And if we agree this should be the case, what should happen when it isn't?
Not on THIS flight in particular. On ANY flight.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
According to her facebook post, this happened the same day as the UA3411 incident, she just hadn't posted the story until May 6 as she apparently wasn't happy with UAs response to her complaints (after the fact).

It is also very clear from her Facebook post that this was prior to final descent. She clearly mentions the FC passenger going to the bathroom during final.

I'm confused as to why an FA would ever hand someone a cup who just said they were going to pee in it. I can see the FA telling her that she can't get up when the seatbelt sign was on, but handing her cups? I would be very interested to hear the FA side of the story for comparison.

Given that this was a MESA plane, I'll have to assume it was an EMB170 as that's the only plane I'm aware of that has a lav in the front that MESA could conceivably fly. Unless the FC passenger walked all the way to the back on the plane on final. Could have been as simple as two FAs - one who's a hard*ss and another who is more accomodating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.