Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Less legroom on AA, will UA follow?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by eng3
I do wonder at what point it will be shown that decreased legroom affects safety. I wonder if the NTSB has made any comment on the subject in the past. Unless we have a few fatal air accidents that directly point to the seat pitch, I doubt the FAA will ever do anything about it.
Each aircraft is certified for a maximum capacity, which logically would include a minimum seat pitch. For the 737-800/MAX 8, the maximum capacity is 189. For the A320/neo, it is 186. Ego, the minimum seat pitch on the A320 can be less than on the 737 as it is a shorter airplane.

I think the tightest pitch is 27" on some A319s and A320s.

Related to the original topic, I've heard United's 737 MAX 9 capacity will be about the same as the 900ER.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by deskover54
Until consumers demonstrate with their wallets that they are willing to pay for legroom, this trend will continue.
I am willing to pay.

But let me introduce you to Spirit Airlines.

Seatguru shows that hey have 28" pitch (I wouldn't know from personal experience) and millions of people apparently are booking those seats. They must have some repeat customers.

I am so glad I am not a business traveler and essentially can choose what airline and route and airplane I want to fly (or... not fly). And enough money to never have to fly Spirit.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Makes me glad I'm short.
Makes me glad I'm on the back nine of my career and don't have to fly as much any more. Even if you buy your way into MCE, E+, or what have you, the whole overall energy of the experience -- you're surrounded by 150+ people in physical misery -- has grown unbearable.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Makes me glad I'm short.
One of the few times in life where being short is an advantage
Old May 3, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You have not noticed that UA has messed up with E+ legrooms in the past few years. It used to be 37" for E+. It is now down to 34" for some versions of 737.
Yea - I have and started measuring it compared to Southwest. In some cases there is no difference between UA e+ and Southwest.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm becoming increasingly worried that the short pitch is compromising safety. I wonder if the FAA is requiring evacuation tests on these setups.
Computer simulations mostly. But Kirby stated in the Congressional hearings yesterday that UA does perform evac tests and I'm pretty sure it was done with the 77W using crew to evac the plane.
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Yea - I have and started measuring it compared to Southwest. In some cases there is no difference between UA e+ and Southwest.
I do not believe that is accurate unless you're getting WN exits. What seats on which aircraft and what measured pitch?

Also, this is a new seat that was shown off at Aircraft Interiors Expo (largest industry trade show of the year) last month pitched at 28". I'm 5'11"/195# sitting in it.

I wouldn't recommend using a laptop there but it also didn't require massive contortion to get in or break my knees sitting there.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:20 am

UA will follow as soon as they get the seats for the right price I'm sure. Price rules everything and with this they can try to compete with the ULCC for the same market that's going to fill these seats. It becomes even more important to get onto the plane early if you're expecting to not gate-check your bags each year it seems.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by bigboy
Let's not confuse pitch with legroom.The going assumption is that the slimline seats enable reduced pitch without as much impact on legroom. Comfort with the slimline seats, however, is an issue.
Regardless of room, even more pax means even less overhead space, fewer pax per FA, per lav, and longer boarding.

Legroom isn't the only thing at risk here.

I will personally always pay for E+ / MCE as long as it exists. The problem is everyone else won't. People don't buy on value at all anymore - they only buy on price, and that price has to be CHEAP!!! Personally I'm sick of it. You can't fully blame the airlines when people seemly don't care as long as they can save a lousy $20-50.

I rarely put myself in a DYKWIA situation, but if $50 is going to make or break your vacation, maybe it's not time for a vacation. The only good thing about BE is that maybe the cheapskates will start realizing that being a skinflint has consequences...

One question I do ask though is if this is the trend in airlines, why isn't every hotel also becoming a Motel 6?

Last edited by tcp1; May 3, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old May 3, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Computer simulations mostly. But Kirby stated in the Congressional hearings yesterday that UA does perform evac tests and I'm pretty sure it was done with the 77W using crew to evac the plane.
I do not believe that is accurate unless you're getting WN exits. What seats on which aircraft and what measured pitch?

Also, this is a new seat that was shown off at Aircraft Interiors Expo (largest industry trade show of the year) last month pitched at 28". I'm 5'11"/195# sitting in it.
https://twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/sta...52761410711553

I wouldn't recommend using a laptop there but it also didn't require massive contortion to get in or break my knees sitting there.
I am only 74" tall, but my knee sits 27" forward of my back. There is absolutely no way I could deal with this.

In addition, UA's slimline seats are the most uncomfortable airline seats that I have ever sat upon, and even the F seats are bad. The problem is the seat platform is too short in the upright position, providing no support for the back of the leg.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
Each aircraft is certified for a maximum capacity, which logically would include a minimum seat pitch. For the 737-800/MAX 8, the maximum capacity is 189. For the A320/neo, it is 186. Ego, the minimum seat pitch on the A320 can be less than on the 737 as it is a shorter airplane.

I think the tightest pitch is 27" on some A319s and A320s.

Related to the original topic, I've heard United's 737 MAX 9 capacity will be about the same as the 900ER.
Doesn't that certification happen on an all economy layout thought? An all economy plane can carry more passengers with slightly larger legroom per row than one with a larger F/J section.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by tcp1
Regardless of room, even more pax means even less overhead space, fewer pax per FA, per lav, and longer boarding.

Legroom isn't the only thing at risk here.
This. Maybe they hope to sell more 'basic' fares hoping no one will be bringing anything on board. But true about the lavs.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
Doesn't that certification happen on an all economy layout thought? An all economy plane can carry more passengers with slightly larger legroom per row than one with a larger F/J section.
My understanding is that there is maximum passengers in various zones based on exit capacity in that part of the aircraft which makes it impossible to have max capacity with a large F/J section and 24 inch pitch in the back. Of course, I'm in no way connected to certification and I just hear various anecdotes.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Anyone remember back when AA took out seats to give more leg room on every flight?
Oh I do, along with the fact that it didn't last long...

If they are going to reduce the seat pitch (which is inevitable), will they make the seat non-reclining as well? Some may actually prefer this...
Old May 3, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm becoming increasingly worried that the short pitch is compromising safety. I wonder if the FAA is requiring evacuation tests on these setups.
Frankly I'd think the FAA has authority to regulate larger Y seat sizes from a safety perspective solely from the rising number of flight diversions due to seat-related "air rage," without having to get into evacuation timings.

But yes, I share your question as well.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Once elites (free E+) and fliers that value space (E+ buyers, TOD acceptors) are excluded, I suspect the rest will buy the cheapest reasonable ticket regardless of comfort. Every few years a new study re-affirms that many fliers will add 1-5 hours to their travel time to save as little as $10-20 USD, etc. Why not a little less comfort to save some beer money? As long as UA provides a buyup option (E+), reducing pitch in E- seems like a perfect match for what many E- fliers want (price match to spirit with a better route network). Seems win-win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.