Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Giant Bunny dies on UA flight...and it's not April 1st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giant Bunny dies on UA flight...and it's not April 1st

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Daily Mail 2 May (updated 3 May)

United Airlines pay five-figure compensation to rabbit breeder whose giant bunny froze to death on its way to America
Old May 3, 2017, 10:37 pm

Why does united have to pay 5-figure compensation?

Quote from the article: "the rabbit cost $530 and the shipping was $1,800"
Old May 4, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
Why does united have to pay 5-figure compensation?
IMhO: To have this put to bed less then 10 days after hitting the papers (especially in light of UA's recent operational & media blunders) is WELL worth 5 figures.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
IMhO: To have this put to bed less then 10 days after hitting the papers (especially in light of UA's recent operational & media blunders) is WELL worth 5 figures.
well.. then it's up to use rabbit lovers to make sure the bad press doesn't die down. (whether you like rabbits as pets or as fine French cuisine)
Old May 4, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
I dont see how many of you guys are making light of this situation.
Yeah, a bunny may not be as high on the totem pole for pets as your beloved dog or cat, but it was to that owner. And this could have happened to any of our pets that were traveling united. I'm considering a move next year across the world and want to be able to take my cats with me. An incident like this is making me reconsider putting them on a United flight.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Evident
I dont see how many of you guys are making light of this situation.
Yeah, a bunny may not be as high on the totem pole for pets as your beloved dog or cat, but it was to that owner. And this could have happened to any of our pets that were traveling united. I'm considering a move next year across the world and want to be able to take my cats with me. An incident like this is making me reconsider putting them on a United flight.
I think the morale of the story is no animal belongs in the belly of a plane. You may think your dog is a hardy rough and tumble guy but a totally new shock it hasn't experienced before can leave you in a bad situation.

Not to be pedantic but technically the people in play here are the breeder and the new owner. It wasn't a pet that someone raised for 10 years.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's no evidence that the future owner had yet bonded with the pet rabbit.

BTW, there's currently a case in the news in MN of a guy whose beloved pet dog, while walking on a leash, was mauled and badly injured by a pit bull that got loose and was unrestrained on a public street. The guys insurance company wants to only pay the cost of buying a new dog, not the vet bills of about $5000 to save the pet dog to which the owner was apparently attached. Bottom line seems to be that at least here, puts are nothing but property. The analogue is when a car gets totaled versus when a family member is injured through no fault of his/her own or the family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.