Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
At the time the announcement was made to finally abandon JFK, IMHO, it was just the final pull back by UA. NRT and LHR were very disappointing to me, personally, but that was maybe 3 or so years before the CO merger. As a NY'er UA's JFK without int'l offered little to me other than PS. Seeing it shifted to EWR where they could dominate made sense. And living and working in lower Manhattan EWR was easier than JFK anyway, but not for many NY customers and not for the West Coast ones either.

But now UA management has the hindsight of seeing what the abandoning JFK ended up costing in terms of lost contracts and HVFs. And if we take everyone at their word, which is a gamble, maybe the Smisek team's decision was the right one not knowing what they would lose, just as Kirby, with the hindsight of what was lost, is correct because the amount of lost revenue is known.

I just want to mention that before UA dropped NRT and LHR, they held special focus groups and specifically asked those invited what our opinions would be with dropping UA's int'l service form JFK. Whatever that management gleaned from the input, they eventually pulled out the int'l service. Does anyone know if UA reached out to customers before dropping JFK service completely?

Adam
Old May 3, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
Um, I don't recall anyone on FlyerTalk saying that their large corporate account would move to another airline because of the JFK closure. There were several posters who repeatedly said they preferred JFK because of the easier airport experience, better partner connections, and easier upgrades. The basis for all of those preferences are absolutely correct and valid. Unfortunately, very few of the reasons presented on FlyerTalk for maintaining a JFK stations covered meaningful business reasons.
Many people called UA out for being the only major carrier that didn't from from LAX/SFO to New York.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:24 am

United's Scott Kirby regrets leaving JFK

I found this interesting: [unable to post url: search google for "simpleflying united delay"]

Scott also discussed how previous United management made the mistake of leaving JFK airport. He lambasted that it costed United lucrative international contracts for passengers flying onwards to London and other European destinations. Whether or not this is a precursor to United to operating back to JFK remains to be seen.

“You can probably personally blame me, at least to some degree, for the fact that United pulled out,” Scott Kirby in 2017. “When I was at American Airlines, we were consciously trying to push United out of JFK. That was our goal.”
This was a huge factor in me leaving United for Delta...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This was expressed by UA some months ago but they can't get the appropriate slots there any more. IMHO, it's why they are very weak at selling flights for Europeans to New York - people simply don't know about EWR: they either specifically request JFK or think that JFK is the only airport. My wife's company is a classic example. She is the only person who flies into EWR, despite it being more convenient for their office. For her colleagues it goes into the too difficult box. It's the exact equivalent for Americans flying in to LGW instead of LHR.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mvgnyc
I found this interesting: [unable to post url: search google for "simpleflying united delay"]
https://simpleflying.com/united-airl...s-are-delayed/

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2019 at 11:28 am Reason: snark removed
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:11 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
United's Scott Kirby regrets leaving JFK
So do I
Seeksreal and LIH like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This was expressed by UA some months ago ....
Kirby has said this many times in many places -- even relatively soon after joining UA - 2017

And in mid-2018 this thread appeared FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
United has data from which it can try to forecast.
You mean like the data that told them to pull out of JFK? They may have a lot of data, but they suck at analyzing it.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by STS-134
You mean like the data that told them to pull out of JFK? They may have a lot of data, but they suck at analyzing it.
The financials say something different. Pulling out of JFK hasn’t hurt the company.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
The financials say something different. Pulling out of JFK hasn’t hurt the company.
Even UA has (now) admitted that pulling out of JFK was a mistake. They lost a bunch of customers who wanted to fly directly into NYC instead of NJ.
https://skift.com/2017/04/21/united-...rong-decision/
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...rk-jfk-449086/

They're going to lose a bunch more to other airlines because of this change. They're going to lose my int'l flights to foreign *A carriers, and my domestic flights to HA and WN. Or possibly AC if I really want to transfer at YVR and visit Canada which I've never done before.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
That's not what Scott Kirby said: https://skift.com/2017/04/21/united-...rong-decision/ and https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...-13729013.php#

The financials don't tell you if the results would have been better had they not pulled out of JFK.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by greg99
The financials don't tell you if the results would have been better had they not pulled out of JFK.
It’s not the point. United was able to sail merrily along after it abandoned JFK and consolidated everything in EWR. There’s no evidence that it either helped or hurt the carrier. At best it made no difference.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
It’s not the point. United was able to sail merrily along after it abandoned JFK and consolidated everything in EWR. There’s no evidence that it either helped or hurt the carrier. At best it made no difference.

Ummm...

But a year and a half later, United’s new president, Scott Kirby, says moving the flights from JFK was a mistake. Many of United’s most lucrative West Coast customers, he said, want to fly into New York City and not New Jersey. And United lost some of them when it switched the flights to Newark, Kirby told employees at a recent town hall meeting in Newark.

“I wish I could roll back the clock and change the decision,” Kirby said, according a recording of the event. “It was the wrong decision.”
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I once read a business article about corporations making major decisions. Most major decisions are difficult to make otherwise they would have been implemented long ago. The conclusion was if you can get significantly above 50% in the long term outcomes, you're doing very well. No corporation gets close to 100%.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
Even UA has (now) admitted that pulling out of JFK was a mistake. They lost a bunch of customers who wanted to fly directly into NYC instead of NJ.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...rk-jfk-449086/

They're going to lose a bunch more to other airlines because of this change. They're going to lose my int'l flights to foreign *A carriers, and my domestic flights to HA and WN. Or possibly AC if I really want to transfer at YVR and visit Canada which I've never done before.
UA carried more passengers than any other carrier in NYC area airports last year, so maybe not a total shortsighted decision. Also, from a logistic point, JFK had only served TCON flights at the time of operations transfer - nightmare scenario for transit pax.

Again, FT is not representative of the public flying demographic. UA took a much PR hit after Dr. Dao; in comparison, all of these changes are walk in the park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.