Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glass found in the ice cream, so no sundaes in Business. [Some Back: 2 June 2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by PSPAirliner
It seems everyone constantly complains about how hard the ice cream is when served. Common folks, this is so childish. Just let it sit a few moments; I'm sure you are all aware it's kept that solid by dry ice. If the F/A'S took them out early and they started to melt you'd complain about that too.
Have you actually had the mango flavored hockey puck? It sounds like you haven't. Its literally like a solid block of mango flavored ice. Its not a case of "letting it sit for a few moments" as it is literally frozen solid. Yes i'm aware its kept cool by dry ice and it is literally that cold and solid.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I think most people aren't complaining solely about the quality but the fact that UA has said nothing official about it. They need to realize that the less communicative they are, the more their advertising about Polaris comes off as BS / false advertising. It's really infuriating. I also would have thought that UA Insider would have chimed in about this by now.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I think most people aren't complaining solely about the quality but the fact that UA has said nothing official about it. They need to realize that the less communicative they are, the more their advertising about Polaris comes off as BS / false advertising. It's really infuriating. I also would have thought that UA Insider would have chimed in about this by now.
Where has United advertised or promoted sundaes?
Old May 14, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by fly18725
Where has United advertised or promoted sundaes?
In every menu on board for the last umpteen years....
Old May 14, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by BlueSky72
Yes, but the sundaes are not promoted as part of the broader Polaris marketing strategy, and also more importantly, the menu clearly states that menu options may not necessarily be available ("we apologize if your first choice may is not available").
Old May 14, 2017, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Yes, but the sundaes are not promoted as part of the broader Polaris marketing strategy, and also more importantly, the menu clearly states that menu options may not necessarily be available ("we apologize if your first choice may is not available").
Nice try. Entrees only.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by Eadward
Have you actually had the mango flavored hockey puck? It sounds like you haven't. Its literally like a solid block of mango flavored ice. Its not a case of "letting it sit for a few moments" as it is literally frozen solid. Yes i'm aware its kept cool by dry ice and it is literally that cold and solid.
just to understand this -the hockey puck is back???!!!!!!
after finally being removed from the breakfast menu (egg and hockey puck)
its now in the dessert!-this guy cannot be killed..!
where will he pop up next?
Old May 15, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think the disclaimer applies to the dessert and cheese course as well - I doubt UA caters enough of cheese/each dessert item/ice cream for every passenger in J.

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Nice try. Entrees only.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by BlueSky72
A menu is list of what is available for a specific flight, not an advance promotion to incentivize people to purchase future travel.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think the disclaimer applies to the dessert and cheese course as well - I doubt UA caters enough of cheese/each dessert item/ice cream for every passenger in J.
But in the past, they certainly do since the FA controlled how much to scoop into the bowl. Now they dont.

Originally Posted by fly18725
A menu is list of what is available for a specific flight, not an advance promotion to incentivize people to purchase future travel.
On the intl dining page on the UA site https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/dining.aspx:

Customers seated in United Polaris business class will enjoy a five-course meal. Menus feature a chilled appetizer, salad, a choice of entree, a cheese course and a selection of desserts including our signature ice cream sundae.
If its on their site, I consider it a promotion to incentive people.
I don't see any "subject to availability" text but even if it were there, its still a promotion.

I didn't get ice cream or sorbet on SEA-IAD last week. There, the site just gives a sample menu so I cut them a little slack on that.

Last edited by eng3; May 15, 2017 at 7:09 am
Old May 15, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by eng3
If its on their site, I consider it a promotion to incentive people.
I don't see any "subject to availability" text but even if it were there, its still a promotion.
Bingo. It's listed on the menu as their "signature sundae" and there is no text about subject to availability, nor has availability ever been a problem in the past. The first several times I got the mango hockey puck I was really PO'd as I was anticipating the sundae. I believe an unwitting flight attendant or two may have caught the brunt of that disappointment, sorry to say. Finally I came here and realized there was a reason. Didn't make it any better but now I know to keep my (sundae) expectations in check.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The sundae is a signature feature of Business on Continental long before the merger, and I believe United had this as part of its catering program as well.

What I find incredulous, is UA catering still cannot source vanilla ice cream from another vendor until the current vendor's supply can be confirmed safe? How many weeks has this been going on now?

We're talking about buying frozen vanilla ice cream, this isn't plutonium.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The sundae is a signature feature of Business on Continental long before the merger, and I believe United had this as part of its catering program as well.

What I find incredulous, is UA catering still cannot source vanilla ice cream from another vendor until the current vendor's supply can be confirmed safe? How many weeks has this been going on now?

We're talking about buying frozen vanilla ice cream, this isn't plutonium.
I thought the issue was the actual sundae bowls cracking, not the ice cream itself. Either way, I can't believe they haven't yet found a solution to this.

Also to those saying who cares, obviously more than a few people as we are up to over 100 posts about an ice cream sundae.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wrp96
I thought the issue was the actual sundae bowls cracking, not the ice cream itself. Either way, I can't believe they haven't yet found a solution to this.

Also to those saying who cares, obviously more than a few people as we are up to over 100 posts about an ice cream sundae.
I might be wrong - but in that case, it's even easier to source tempered glass bowls for sundaes - if that's the case, the problem should have been fixed inside of a week.

Unacceptable.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
In the last month, have taken 2 transcon flights in FC and the Mango Sorbet that they serve is pretty bad. Has a distinct bitter aftertaste. Wonder if it is because of the age or the excess freezing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.