Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, after reading many of the posts... (UA pilot post)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, after reading many of the posts... (UA pilot post)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by tcp1
Now THIS attitude I can't abide. As someone who flies 150,000 miles a year on my own money (self-employed), what's it to you?
I honestly found some of his comments very arrogant to be honest which maybe reflects on the problem within the work community at UA.

I am sure there are some good, hard working and decent folks working at UA who are nothing like the sort of people we have heard about who handle passengers but this smug attitude/sarcastic attitude of this pilot was an eye opener.

Now we know some of their pilots are also the same.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:11 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Perhaps the OP would be happier flying for Fedex or UPS? They have the wrong attitude for a passenger airline - and based on the email Oscar just blasted out to the FF community, some soul searching to do if they wish to continue in the passenger airline business.

That post smacks of the same attitude illustrated in the article I posted in a different thread. It seems the employees are going to double down on the wrong attitude and the conflict is just going to ramp up in the future.

You think people are angry? You're damn right they are! The problem is you don't seem to understand or comprehend why.
Originally Posted by wolf72
I honestly found some of his comments very arrogant to be honest which maybe reflects on the problem within the work community at UA.

I am sure there are some good, hard working and decent folks working at UA who are nothing like the sort of people we have heard about who handle passengers but this smug attitude/sarcastic attitude of this pilot was an eye opener.

Now we know some of their pilots are also the same.
Going to have to agree with these two posters. And I am not going to beg the OP to stick around as others have. It's not fun sometimes reading the truth about your airline, is it?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Going to have to agree with these two posters. And I am not going to beg the OP to stick around as others have. It's not fun sometimes reading the truth about your airline, is it?
Fortunately, we have other UA pilots and crew that participate here without making unfair generalizations about people here, most who are thankful for the professionalism of UA employees. ^^ to them.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by 757FO
I would argue, safety is the most critical thing, and the most important thing to be excellent at.
Originally Posted by LordHamster
BTW. Please don't try to establish a false dichotomy between safety and quality customer service. It isn't an either/or proposition.
That's the ticket! United Airlines: At Least We Didn't Kill You
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by iloveipods
That comment sums it all up. You have a service company promoting people with that kind of attitude just because they spent enough hours sitting at the front of a metal tube that is mainly flown by a computer. Entitled goes both ways.
+1^
It's sad that you usually can get better customer facing employees at some minimum wage jobs than at certain airlines. I read one of the posts on United where the poster said that he was satisfied with 75% of the United staff. As someone who has hired over 2,000 customer facing employees in my privately owned business, I can tell you without hesitation that I would be MORTIFIED if I had a 75% customer perceived satisfaction rate of my employees.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Mind you it does remind me of the old but gold joke:

Q: What's the difference between a commercial pilot and God?
A: God doesn't think he is a commercial pilot.

Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Well stated OP. Sadly too many people forget they are catapulting through the air at easily 600 miles an hour 30-40k feet in the air, getting to somewhere in a fraction of the time it would take to drive. We live in a society for a reasonable cost you can wake up and be on the entire other side of the US in 6 hours or less (depending on where you are at).
Therefore, what? You can be treated rudely any time an airline likes, because technology?

I get it, things can be improved, at times airlines mess up, but the industry is scrutinized by the general public far more than it should be. Go take a train or car, and you most likely won't be where you're going anywhere close to the same time.
I submit that if you are collapsing the entire discussion down to "things can be improved, at times airlines mess up," then you actually don't get it at all.

Yet it seems all people want to do is complain about weather, maintenance, etc. Things can be better sure, but it's taken for granted for sure.
I think what people are complaining about on feature threads the past couple of weeks isn't the weather or maintenance at all. It's how airlines react to weather, maintenance, etc.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:03 am

Maybe it's just me, but I think this could be a great marketing angle for one of the competing airlines. Create a new FT account with an arrogant, rude pilot and go on a rant calling some of it's most loyal customers brats. It's always possible that he's real of course, but I think it's also possible that someone was hoping these rants would go viral and cause more negative publicity for UA.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
Maybe it's just me, but I think this could be a great marketing angle for one of the competing airlines. Create a new FT account with an arrogant, rude pilot and go on a rant calling some of it's most loyal customers brats. It's always possible that he's real of course, but I think it's also possible that someone was hoping these rants would go viral and cause more negative publicity for UA.
I'm guessing that OALs are content to watch UA screw the pooch unaided; they seem to have a knack for it.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sabai
I'm guessing that OALs are content to watch UA screw the pooch unaided; they seem to have a knack for it.
Indeed - why engage in "industrial sabotage" when UA's own supporters are busy creating self-inflicted wounds?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But wow, so many of you come across like spoiled brats.
I sometimes browse the forums over at https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ and find that pilots can often come across the same way. Always complaining about their contracts and the airlines they work for. You'd think they have the worst jobs in the world after spending some time there.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:52 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'm going to close this. I doubt there's anything new or more left to be said.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:52 am

Hmmm... Is it your money, or that of your employer?
Although I am primarily a leisure traveler, I feel ALL travelers deserve the same respect. We are all paying customers; it doesn't matter who is footing the bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.