formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Any UA871 experiences?

Delete thread.

Last edited by Weyland Yutani Corp; Apr 10, 2014 at 6:37 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I would expect the service to be pretty similar to any of the other transpacs.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wunderpit
I have 2 flights to book LAX>SFO>TPE this fall. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback.
You've asked a remarkably vague question without providing any clue as to what information you are seeking: e.g. What class of service are you flying? Do you want information about meals? Seat(s)? How to deal with jet lag? Why do you think this flight would be different from other UA trans-Pacific offerings?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Set your expectations low.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:32 am

slippers in premium class

Any one knows if slippers are offered in premium class between tpe and sfo?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MMF Hilton Gold, Hyatt platinum
Originally Posted by BrianUA800
Any one knows if slippers are offered in premium class between tpe and sfo?
No.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
In Economy cabin:

Mar 2014 (EWR-MAD)
2 main courses (meat) with 1 vegetarian selection (total 3)

Today (UA 871)
Chicken with rice or vegetarian with rice. (total 2)

Keeping cutting?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:50 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
It is the same as other international flights.

Business class had the standard international amenity kit. Dinner was appetizer, salad, 4 choices for entree, none of which were vegetarian, cheese/ice cream service. About 90 min before landing, breakfast was served even though we landed in the evening local time. The snack basket was available during flight. I think there might have been soup served mid flight but I didn't partake.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:16 pm

Worst international flight experience I've had. Let's start with no personal TV's for a 14 hour flight. You can download their app but their internet is so slow most people around me weren't able to download it. You can buy wifi but it is so slow you can't even watch movies on it. The leg room seems to be less then other international flights I've been on. The food was absolutely pathetic like it wasn't even edible. Never again will I use United for long flights
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Joe5981
Worst international flight experience I've had. Let's start with no personal TV's for a 14 hour flight. You can download their app but their internet is so slow most people around me weren't able to download it. You can buy wifi but it is so slow you can't even watch movies on it. The leg room seems to be less then other international flights I've been on. The food was absolutely pathetic like it wasn't even edible. Never again will I use United for long flights
You were supposed to have the app first. Wifi purchase isn't needed to stream movies.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
You were supposed to have the app first. Wifi purchase isn't needed to stream movies.
They are supposed to have personal TVs. Period.

Can you list any other airlines flying internationally for >10 hours without those?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Joe5981
When you say you couldn't even watch movies on the wifi, are you referring to the UA-provided streaming service (which isn't wifi, but comes from an onboard server), or were you trying to watch a movie from an online service (Netflix, HBO Go, etc.) using the wifi. If the latter, it isn't meant to handle streaming services, and in fact, the terms of the wifi strictly prohibit using (though I don't believe they actually block access....not sure why). I rarely use the wifi onboard, so can't comment on that.

As for comfort, I would never argue that a UA 747 is top notch for this, in fact, I avoid the 747 in Y when possible. For E+, it has the least legroom, at only 34", but for regular economy, it's 31", which is pretty standard in the industry - it's the same amount of pitch as much of UAs other longhaul fleet (like the 777), and many other carriers (for example, most of LH's long-haul fleet, including their 747-400s and 747-800s, and even their brand new A350s, are also listed as 31" pitch in economy). For sure UA isn't the best airline food, but IME, its certainly more than edible, and by far is not the worst I've had in the air.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
According to The New York Times, the next generation of planes won't have personal displays, in order to save weight and since almost everyone has a device for local streaming:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/b...ts-movies.html
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
If it's any consolation, those birds (747) are being retired in the next few months. Replacement 777-300ERs do have PTVs in economy.

I will take a reliable internet connection over PTVs any day of the week. I actually think this is a more forward-thinking strategy; as more people travel with their own devices and their own screens, the PTV becomes less relevant. Give people reliable power to charge their devices, a good internet connection, and entertainment (i.e. the personal device entertainment from onboard servers).

But, I understand that PTVs are still an industry standard, so it's not unreasonable to expect them on longhaul flights.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
According to The New York Times, the next generation of planes won't have personal displays, in order to save weight and since almost everyone has a device for local streaming:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/b...ts-movies.html
Who knows, nobody can predict the future (so you mean first class won't have 32 inch screens?), but the thing is you shouldn't have to be warned to fly on United economy long-haul. Which you have to be. They just don't have the standard amenities, like personal TV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.