Results link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-KPKQ6B2B/instant/
Print Wikipost

Poll: Opinion of United post-incident.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Before: 5.
After: 1.

United was the worst of the lot in 2016 but it was improving. I had done a status match to 1K but I didn't take advantage of it.

Now I won't consider them at all unless some drastic changes occur.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Far worse forced deplaning incidents have happened on all the airlines in terms of reasons why the passengers were asked to leave, the difference was the passengers didn't refuse to leave the aircraft and thus there was no viral video of them being dragged out. I view all the US airlines pretty much the same way though - every event that has happened on one could just have easily happened on another.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: gate lice
A) 2
B) 5 but supposedly improving

As a regular transpac flyer, UA's been the butt of a good many jokes over it's poor service (compared to Asian carriers) and J/F long-haul products. 2-4-2 configuration in J class? Seriously? Ewww.

I know UA's worked hard to change that. Polaris is obviously a huge upgrade to their current hard product. I flew EWR-HKG round trip back in December. Some (not all) crew members were still rude (one in particular looked very frustrated when I requested pajamas); just a couple of the FAs were genuinely fun and accommodating. My rating of UA would have been a 5 -- simply because other airlines can offer service consistently while UA can be hit or miss.

When Smi-suck left the airline, replaced by Munoz, I thought he would get a troubled airline back on track. I heard all the great things about him and the unions, the coffee cup anecdotes, recovery from the heart transplant, etc...

When news broke of this violent handling of elderly pax, I was shocked but convinced that this was an example of the toxic culture created by UA under Smisek, and that Munoz would right this wrong very quickly. It doesn't matter whether UA followed the rulebook, it matters that UA gets PR and customer service right. Which it did not. Imagine my surprise when Munoz used the term "re-accommodate" and doubled-down on his allegations last night; he did not relent until today when the stock price took a hit. Too late. I already booked a $5k flight on one of UA's competitors.

I'm disappointed with UA's handling of this incident so far, and I'm beginning to think that Oscar is all talk. UA can invest in its hard product all it wants, but I don't want to encounter surly FAs, abusive GAs, and unhelpful mgmt.

So yes, 2.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Before: 7

After: 5
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Before 5
After 2
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
FT is replete with seasoned travelers, and are reacting differently to both "IVDB-gate" and "leggingsgate" than the public at large.

So, how about an unscientific poll, please post two numbers:

A) On a 1 to 10 scale, 1 being the worst possible, and 10 being the best possible, what is your opinion of United today?
B) On the same scale, what was your opinion of United 3 months ago, before these two "scandals?"

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Just post two numbers ... I will tabulate them and edit this post.
Before - 4
Now - 1

The CEO told his employees that the passenger was belligerent! The CEO is a liar! He said the passengers were 're-accomodated', he is a hypocrite. The gate agents gave the passenger a boarding pass, then decided they wanted the seat for a crew member. Bumping due to oversold is legal, we are told. That should apply only to seats 'sold' on that flight, not to crew need to travel. So, this should be illegal by definition. I hope UA ends up paying this passenger a LOT of money...on top of the bad publicity. The CEO's lie about the passenger's 'belligerence' says it all, the employees' attitude will be no better than the CEO's, unless they have a personal sense of decency. Difficult to say if this was in part racist, but cannot rule it out either. Regardless, UA did so many things wrong, rude, and arrogant in this incident, the racist angle is hardly needed to term the whole incident abhorrent!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:52 pm

I don't think this is indicative of their culture and could have happened on any airline. They do need a serious overhaul of their PR and social media team, and I wish Munoz would have handled it better.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:59 pm

Why doesn't FT have a polling function? Much easier than this way.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:59 pm

Poll link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KP68GYG

Results link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results...Q6B2B/instant/

Enjoy!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
8 and 8.

The passenger is 100% at fault here.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, AA Gold, UA Silv, DL Silv,
Before: 8 (lots of upgrades at Silver + EWR is less congested than JFK or LGA + Buffalo Trace onboard)
Now: 4 (I'll still use UA, but I'll be diversifying my miles)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Mileage+, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, IHG Rewards Club, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport
Before: 8
Now: 3
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

Hoping FF's flee (freeing up inventory for me!). My opinion of RPA, now that's another story...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA: EXP / AS:MVP75k / Hilton: Gold / Marriott Gold
United is trash. Could you imagine CX doing something stupid like this?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:51 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the posters
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Before: 3
Now: 3

I acknowledge that {stuff} happens. However what I'm more concerned is how they handle the situation.

Have been avoiding United, likely to continue.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:52 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.