Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by halls120
Except for the text in bold, this sounds like the SMI/J approach.
And your reply is indicative of what I said in my earlier post. Some pax are simply overtly jaded, outright hostile, and have reached peak cynicism to the point where there is absolutely nothing UA can say (or do) to bring them back, which is why I said it is futile for UA to be expending energy attempting to bring these pax back at least in the short to mid-term. The key right now for UA is to keep their planes to capacity to compensate for x% of pax who have decided to boycott.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Manospeed
And your reply is indicative of what I said in my earlier post. Some pax are simply overtly jaded, outright hostile, and have reached peak cynicism to the point where there is absolutely nothing UA can say (or do) to bring them back, which is why I said it is futile for UA to be expending energy attempting to bring these pax back at least in the short to mid-term. The key right now for UA is to keep their planes to capacity to compensate for x% of pax who have decided to boycott.
First of all, I'm not boycotting.

I agree with the statement in bold. That said, if recovering former customers isn't a company goal, the competition must be salivating right about now.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by halls120
First of all, I'm not boycotting.

I agree with the statement in bold. That said, if recovering former customers isn't a company goal, the competition must be salivating right about now.
Recovering former jaded customers will take a lot of time and a lot of effort on the part of UA. The key right now is to plug the hole to prevent the entire ship from sinking. Once you've done that you can start looking at where you can improve. Thus far the stock price has pretty much remain unaffected although I will wait to see what the numbers look like next quarter.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
And your reply is indicative of what I said in my earlier post. Some pax are simply overtly jaded, outright hostile...
I think a lot of pax and FAs already have a hostile attitude toward each other before they even board the plane. Pax expect to be treated like crap, and therefore have a hostile attitude toward the FAs. FAs have been treated like crap because of so many pax in the first category, and so have a hostile attitude before the flight even begins. In general though, I've found that if you are nice to the FAs, they'll be nice to you, and the chances of them bending or even breaking rules is many, many times greater if you are nice to them.

Last summer, I was on the phone with UA customer service because I missed my HNL-SFO flight due to flooding on Interstate H-1 (all traffic stopped, no cars getting through). I didn't complain about them not holding the flight because so many pax were stuck on the freeway, or complain that he couldn't get me on the first flight the next morning. Through some discussion, I figured out that the CS agent actually lives in Honolulu, and was giving him updates on the situation (by this time, I had exited the freeway after being stuck for over 40 minutes). He did a SDC for me and put me on a 777 flight the next day, and even preserved my CPU. So not only did I get to fly F, but instead of the domestic F seats on a 737 or 757, I scored a lie flat seat on a 773. Then on that flight the next day, I was asked by the FAs if I would mind moving from my window seat so that an elderly man could sit next to his wife. I agreed, and got to sit next to the pilot that had flown the plane from SFO-HNL. We had some interesting discussion on the way back to SFO, and I got my first choice for the meal despite sitting at the very back of the first class cabin. Be nice to other people, and they'll be nice to you!!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
I think a lot of pax and FAs already have a hostile attitude toward each other before they even board the plane. Pax expect to be treated like crap, and therefore have a hostile attitude toward the FAs. FAs have been treated like crap because of so many pax in the first category, and so have a hostile attitude before the flight even begins. In general though, I've found that if you are nice to the FAs, they'll be nice to you, and the chances of them bending or even breaking rules is many, many times greater if you are nice to them.

Last summer, I was on the phone with UA customer service because I missed my HNL-SFO flight due to flooding on Interstate H-1 (all traffic stopped, no cars getting through). I didn't complain about them not holding the flight because so many pax were stuck on the freeway, or complain that he couldn't get me on the first flight the next morning. Through some discussion, I figured out that the CS agent actually lives in Honolulu, and was giving him updates on the situation (by this time, I had exited the freeway after being stuck for over 40 minutes). He did a SDC for me and put me on a 777 flight the next day, and even preserved my CPU. So not only did I get to fly F, but instead of the domestic F seats on a 737 or 757, I scored a lie flat seat on a 773. Then on that flight the next day, I was asked by the FAs if I would mind moving from my window seat so that an elderly man could sit next to his wife. I agreed, and got to sit next to the pilot that had flown the plane from SFO-HNL. We had some interesting discussion on the way back to SFO, and I got my first choice for the meal despite sitting at the very back of the first class cabin. Be nice to other people, and they'll be nice to you!!
I couldn't agree with you more. In the 8+ years I've been flying with UA I have never experienced anything remotely close to what some on FT have described. In general my experiences have been quite pleasant. I've had the occasional delay and two flight cancellations in those 8+ years, but such is life. I flew Polaris ORD-MUC last winter and can't say anything bad about it. Overall the UA flight crews I've dealt with have been very nice to me as I will show them the same politeness and courtesy I expect of them.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I couldn't agree with you more. In the 8+ years I've been flying with UA I have never experienced anything remotely close to what some on FT have described. In general my experiences have been quite pleasant. I've had the occasional delay and two flight cancellations in those 8+ years, but such is life. I flew Polaris ORD-MUC last winter and can't say anything bad about it. Overall the UA flight crews I've dealt with have been very nice to me as I will show them the same politeness and courtesy I expect of them.
I would say that crews are almost uniformly good these days. But ground services are an entirely different matter. Take last week for example where I showed up 10 minutes before departure for a flight that was half empty and that I was trying to SDC to so I can not have to wait needlessly 2.5 hours at IAH. Gate agent said no. They then proceeded to wait 10 minutes before pushing back without me. GAs didn't give AF.

I have encountered the same attitude on the 1k phone line, as well, although I would be the first to say that it is extremely rare. By far the most common place it occurs is among TAs and GAs. And that isn't a good thing.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
In my opinion UA should use attractive pricing strategies in the short to mid-term period to attract new customers on price in order to increase their utilization/demand and not worry about trying to get back pax who are choosing to pay more or inconvenience themselves with additional segments for the same route with another carrier so as to make a 'statement'.

The above requires little effort on UAs part and is likely to attract a much larger number of pax.
There is a major lack of understanding how airlines price by people who work for airlines, which I will try to illustrate for you.

Assuming a hypothetical flight with 100 seats. A typical RM strategy designed to maximize revenues would (for example) price 10 seats at $100, 40 seats at $150, 30 at $200, 15 at $300, and the last 5 at $400. With any luck you sell them all out and have $19,500 in revenue.

In response to a fall in demand the airline can either maintain the existing price points (accepting a lower load factor) change when the buckets close, or cut prices in the buckets they want to fill.

So lets assume that United lost 5 passengers, but did not change the buckets. It keeps the 10/40/30 buckets, will it then lost either 5x$300 or 5x$400 because it is the most expensive seats that don't get filled as existing buyers can buy into a lower fare bucket. Loss is $1500-2000.

To keep this from happening, United can cut prices, to maintain traffic, but it has to cut it at all levels, not just the lowest fare bucket, since the lack of traffic will appear at all times, not just with the very lowest fares. Filling then plane then looks like this: 10 x $90, 40x $135, 30 x $180, 15 at $270, 5 at $360. United has given up $1950 in revenue.

But if United cuts fares, OALs will simply match in the lower fare buckets, while keeping their top fares, and UA ends up with a plane that is not full, and lower revenue in the early seats

The other way to "cut" prices is to sell more seats at lower fare buckets, but that only helps in part, since the same problem exists at the higher fare buckets.

A "sale" helps short term, but does not impact much of the traffic United is concerned about - high value business travel bought in the few weeks before departure.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I would say that crews are almost uniformly good these days.
Like others, the majority of my experiences with UA flight crews have been enjoyable and positive. There are those exceptions, however, especially on international service. Like last November on IAD-MUC, when you're sitting in BF and the FA serving your section is so sullen and absent that the Purser comes over without being asked and attends to you, there's still a problem.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Yeah, I noticed that when I did a search on google.com/flights for a possible DFW-DEN trip. UA is $49, even cheaper than Spirit.
Guess this incident had no impact on EWR-CLE, still $1170.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I would say that crews are almost uniformly good these days. But ground services are an entirely different matter. Take last week for example where I showed up 10 minutes before departure for a flight that was half empty and that I was trying to SDC to so I can not have to wait needlessly 2.5 hours at IAH. Gate agent said no. They then proceeded to wait 10 minutes before pushing back without me. GAs didn't give AF.

I have encountered the same attitude on the 1k phone line, as well, although I would be the first to say that it is extremely rare. By far the most common place it occurs is among TAs and GAs. And that isn't a good thing.
I have never experienced this ever. In fact, I have had two instances where the opposite of what you describe occurred, where the GA are purposefully waiting for me at the gate so I can board. Was flying out of CAE -> ATL -> ORD. The flight out of CAE experienced a 2.5 hour delay due to weather system in the area. We touched ground in ATL when my flight was supposed to have been departing. I grabbed my stuff and ran like my rear end was on fire as the connecting gate was 4 terminals away. I was the last passenger on that plane, sweating profusely, and it took me almost 30 minutes to catch my breath. Same thing occurred for SAN -> SFO -> ORD. Was late to get at the airport in SAN and was still waiting in the security line when my flight should had been taking off, but I managed to reach the gate and not miss the flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Guess this incident had no impact on EWR-CLE, still $1170.
What am I missing? EWR-CLE is listed at $331 RT with UA in Economy. First class is listed at $529.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...5-14;q=EWR-CLE

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...sc=f;q=EWR-CLE
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:20 pm

I have never experienced this ever. In fact, I have had two instances where the opposite of what you describe occurred, where the GA are purposefully waiting for me at the gate so I can board.
You must live a very charmed life Brand new poster, only a silver, but UA is watching your back. Must be nice!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
What am I missing? EWR-CLE is listed at $331 RT with UA in Economy. First class is listed at $529.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...5-14;q=EWR-CLE

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...sc=f;q=EWR-CLE
If you are flying during the work week and can't stay 3+ nights.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
If you are flying during the work week and can't stay 3+ nights.
But it gives you a good idea of the type of traveler he is.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Unhappy

Originally Posted by spin88
You must live a very charmed life Brand new poster, only a silver, but UA is watching your back. Must be nice!
As a 1K I have literally watched them shut the door in my face (and smiling the whole time), when I rushed to the gate from a DELAYED connecting flight. And this has happened a few times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.