Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to UA - TATL economy questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

Pleased to report that as suggested up here, various seats opened up at checkin so I have snagged a window. . On the A side of course

​​​​​​Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Thanks. I'll give that a go.

Pleased to report that as suggested up here, various seats opened up at checkin so I have snagged a window. . On the A side of course

​​​​​​Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
still no harm in asking about the front of the cabin.....but I would stay were you are if only middle seats are available
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I picked this thread up late - another option for OP would have been a coupon connection trade for a GPU, assuming his fare class was W or above.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:35 am

Illegal

This is an illegal suggestion and should be removed
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Disagree on the food comments. I think the united food these days in Y is actually quite good. Certainly a whole lot better than it was 2-3 years ago.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by david_oz
Disagree on the food comments. I think the united food these days in Y is actually quite good. Certainly a whole lot better than it was 2-3 years ago.
Is it better than 2-3 years ago? Yes. But it was horrid then, so it isn't much to crow about now.

UA's Y food on international flights is no better or worse than what you find on most of the competition. But these days, if I can't get upgraded, I'm having a good meal before departure and then I'm bringing my own snacks.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

For the record, I had no luck with moving to E+ seats, but I did snag window seats both ways soon after checkin opened, so thanks for the tip.

Food was actually OK (although I only ate going UK-US) and everything else was fine. It's been a while since I sat in the cheap seats with no status perks and it was not as bad as I'd feared.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
For the record, I had no luck with moving to E+ seats, but I did snag window seats both ways soon after checkin opened, so thanks for the tip.

Food was actually OK (although I only ate going UK-US) and everything else was fine. It's been a while since I sat in the cheap seats with no status perks and it was not as bad as I'd feared.
Glad to hear it was ok.

Honestly, I hate the way these forums sometimes deride Y class as its some form of torture that can hardly be endured by human beings. Clearly, thousands upon thousands of folks around the world fly UA and other carriers every day in economy - far more than in premium cabins. And yes, they live to tell the tale. No, you're not getting 5-star restaurant quality food, and yes, seats are more cramped than ideal. And yes, obviously lie-flats are nicer. But what do you want for a few hundred bucks round-trip>?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by emcampbe
. But what do you want for a few hundred bucks round-trip>?
A seat wide enough so that the POS person sitting next to me doesn't spill over into my seat.

A seat with decent cushioning and lumbar support, not the slimline crap.

A seat that has 1) decent IFE/AVOD or 2) power outlets so I can bring my own entertainment.

I don't think that is too much to ask.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Honestly, I hate the way these forums sometimes deride Y class as its some form of torture that can hardly be endured by human beings. Clearly, thousands upon thousands of folks around the world fly UA and other carriers every day in economy - far more than in premium cabins. And yes, they live to tell the tale. No, you're not getting 5-star restaurant quality food, and yes, seats are more cramped than ideal. And yes, obviously lie-flats are nicer. But what do you want for a few hundred bucks round-trip>?
I'm annoyed that enough room to cross your legs and swing your elbows without hitting someone in the face is considered by the majority of the traveling public to be a luxury perk of the 0.1% akin to driving Ferraris and staying in the penthouse suite. People are miserable in Y these days (just ask anyone's opinion on "air travel"), and yet they keep bringing it upon themselves by patronizing airlines like F9 and NK, and accepting "all Y any distance" corporate travel policies as reasonable.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by findark
yet they keep bringing it upon themselves by patronizing airlines like F9 and NK, and accepting "all Y any distance" corporate travel policies as reasonable.
Agree than consumer preferences create the problem, although I'll cut a break to those unable to push back effectively on corporate travel policies. Few people are in a position to demand better travel terms from their companies, and the best they can probably do is make small directional pushes or explain at an exit interview "the reason I'm leaving is because I travel a lot for you but your policies make that miserable".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.