Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to UA - TATL economy questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Thanks. I'm pretty familiar with the LH lounge, but haven't tried this one. It'll be breakfast time but I'll be sure to fill up in anticipation of my flight
I prefer SQ SilverKris lounge. You can certainly do lounge hopping with your *G status.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Excellent, thanks.

I think I'm all set. Really appreciate the help, everyone.

Now if anyone has any BA/Oneworld questions, I'll be happy to reciprocate
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks. I'm pretty familiar with the LH lounge, but haven't tried this one. It'll be breakfast time but I'll be sure to fill up in anticipation of my flight
I was recently promoted to UA*G and visited the LHR lounge and was extremley surprised- the lounge is much better than the LH Sen offering at T2.

Was flying about 4 weeks ago ORD-LHR and I am afraid you might have the the 'pleasure' to fly a non-refurbished 767 (check if the systems shows a First then bad luck) so bring an Ipad or so with you as the inflight entertainment is more than mediocre then (it was in fact the oldest airplane I've ever been on).

If it's a 2 class refurb 767 the plane can compete with a LH 330 in Y.

As others said, the food is quite bad. Within the US they offer a good product similar to Lufty in Europe.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:46 am

If E+ is empty at boarding (and if there are empty seats in Y, it'll normally be E+), just ask. I've had success as a *G, and the worst that can happen is they say no.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yowzer! I just looked and can book E+ basic (1 bag and 4" extra legroom) for $250 each way.
It probably still won't be palatable to you, but, go into the seat map to choose your seats and hover over the E+ seats. You will find you can purchase them for less than the $250 they are charging for the package.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
There's no way to justify paying even $100 more for E+ unless you're very big or can get an exit row. The seat itself is identical, and the legroom isn't even that much more. It's honestly the same as the legroom on the top carriers in normal Y.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:24 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

How is economy (hard and soft product) compared with say AA? I'm guessing they're pretty similar i.e. OK, but not great but would be good to hear some views.
Food-wise UA is slightly better.

Drink-wise wine and beer are free with both airlines.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks, I found those but it seems I'm looking at a 767-300 and couldn't find exactly that. But it's moot anyway, since I just looked at my flight and there's only middle seats left right now.
For reference:

2-class 767-300
3-class sUA 767-300

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
If E+ is empty at boarding (and if there are empty seats in Y, it'll normally be E+), just ask. I've had success as a *G, and the worst that can happen is they say no.
This. Lots of reports of success at getting an E+ seat at the gate as *G by asking politely.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
If you get a three-class 767-300, bring a charger for whatever device you want to use for the streaming entertainment--they have no power outlets in the back. Or at least make sure you top off your phone or tablet's battery in the UC at LHR.

I will put in a good word for the food in economy. The salads never change, but the mains have been pretty good--I'd get the chicken with spinach and the chicken with mushroom risotto again. (Problem: You don't know which chicken dish you'll get when it's only described as "chicken.")

And while the wine is forgettable, Goose Island makes a great pilsner and IPA, and you can always ask for another when you wander back to the galley to stretch your legs.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCA writer

I will put in a good word for the food in economy. The salads never change, but the mains have been pretty good--I'd get the chicken with spinach and the chicken with mushroom risotto again. (Problem: You don't know which chicken dish you'll get when it's only described as "chicken.")
I'd agree...I thought I was the only one that doesn't hate the UA food.

Portions could be a bit bigger, IME. It's certainly not 5-star restaurant quality. But is completely fine. I've had better on some other carriers, for sure (SQ and TK come to mind), but I've had worse, notably on AC, and I'd argue on NH as well, though I'm sure many would disagree.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:53 am

Your profile says BA Gold.....

I'm assuming you are also Gold through a *A airline? Otherwise the Lounge/benefits discussion is moot.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
Your profile says BA Gold.....

I'm assuming you are also Gold through a *A airline? Otherwise the Lounge/benefits discussion is moot.
Yeah, I have *G through Turkish too. I guess I should update my profile. I used to be a solid OW traveller, but since BA started stripping the product in every cabin I've spread my wings a bit.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DCA writer
(Problem: You don't know which chicken dish you'll get when it's only described as "chicken.")
Yes! Whatever you think of the food quality, it's very frustrating just to have the choices be "beef" or "chicken" or "pasta" with no description of what is in it. While the FAs are too lazy even to announce it, let alone repeat it for each customer, the best solution I saw was a sign with a fuller description, in English and Japanese (or maybe Chinese-I forget the flight) that gave more details (e.g., Asian Chicken with noodles; pasta with mushroom sauce).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:19 am
Original Poster

I'm almost at T-24 so I'm poised to see if seats open up - thanks for that tip ^

Regarding the suggestions to ask about E+ if it looks open - should I do that at the gate area, during the boarding process or wait till on board? I'm happy to give it a go (and fully accept a "no" answer) but I don't want to come over as a DYKWIA type.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:42 am

I personally do it before boarding, and I won't ask for E+ specifically but the phrase I like to use is "closer to the front".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.